MY ROLE IDEAS <3

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

MY ROLE IDEAS <3

Postby runningwiththepower » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:02 pm

1. FortuneTeller
Sees dead chat during night & day but cant respond to them directly
Townie

~~~~

2. Role Seer
Gets a vision of 4 (or maybe 5???) roles--at least ONE of those roles is in the Town (Maybe can only be used 3 times in the Whole Game?)
Neutral Benign---Survive to the End of the Game

~~~~

3. Double Voter
Has 2 votes--but can only use them twice (or maybe three???) times in the whole game (must Reveal to use???????)

~~~~

4. Wildflower
Can kill people.....but only 3 times in the Whole Game

~~~~

5. Lingerer
Sees all Whispers & all Night Chats.....but has only 1 (or maybe 2???) vests

~~~~~

6. Auguste (Credit to QueenSquigga---BUT the Name is my idea!!!)
Choose someone to Haunt & Kill from beyond the grave once they've been murdered at Night
Neutral Evil (same as Jester)---Get Killed at Night

~~~~

7. Steward
Has -3 votes (must Reveal to use???)

~~~~

8. Mystery Killer
Kills someone every night, but choose what your victim's death announcement will show as. (Example: Alice is Mystery Killer. Alice kills Bob. Alice chooses Ambusher. The next day, during the Announcements, it says that Bob was killed by an Ambusher.)
Neutral Killing

~~~~

9. Vis a Vis
When killed, kills whoever killed them
Neutral Evil--Wins by killing someone through their own death

~~~~

10. Revealer (Dual Credit to Melon)
Can make ONLY 1 person in the Whole Game Reveal their role to the Town--takes 2 days to prepare
Neutral Benign--Survive to the End of the Game

~~~~

11. Vindicator
Revives a dead person but Sacrifices themselves in the process
Town

~~~~

12. Retaliatorist
Revives a dead person RANDOMLY, can revive during the Day OR Night
Neutral Benign--Revive someone

~~~~

13. Pierrot
Has to die in a specific way (killed by Coven / Town / Mafia / Vamps / Etc.). once killed, gains the ability to Rampage twice in the whole game.
Neutral Evil (same as Jester)---Die in a Specific Way

~~~~

14. Healer
Heals poison, frame, hex, douse, infected, potential blackmail, basically any status effect.
Townie

Obviously, I am not the best when it comes to names. In addition, I DEFINTELY think some of the details with some of these roles could be ironed out to be better & more balanced. Can't wait to hear ur thoughts ! :D <33333
runningwiththepower

Re: MY ROLE IDEAS <3

Postby superdog551 » Sat May 01, 2021 10:07 pm

Spoiler:
1. FortuneTeller
Townie

This is just a better medium, it would be easily confirmable and could give town the wills of dead and cleaned people immediately. It's SUPER strong and I don't think it's very necessary.

2. Role Seer
Gets a vision of 4 (or maybe 5???) roles--at least ONE of those roles is in the Town (Maybe can only be used 3 times in the Whole Game?)

RNG roles like this and the psychic are generally something that is not good for the game, they are too luck based. This role would be pretty weak due to how many roles it sees, especially if it can only do it 3 times. Also there isn't much of a point or a strategy to it, why would a survivor need to see what roles might be in the game?

3. Double Voter
Has 2 votes--but can only use them twice (or maybe three???) times in the whole game (must Reveal to use???????)

A neutral mayor counterpart COULD work. The issue here is that this role, like the last role, is just a different survivor. When making a role always consider what the point of the role's ability is and have the win condition reflect that. Survivor has a goal of surviving to the end of the game so it gets four self protections. This role has a goal of surviving until the end of the game and to do this it gets two votes a few times?

Maybe instead it's goal could be to lynch two people and it could become Neutral Evil instead. This still isn't a great role idea but it could be a start.

4. Wildflower

Same point as above, this is just a survivor that can kill a few times. It should be Neutral Killing because it can kill, but then it's a really weak SK. There isn't a reason for this role to be in the game as it doesn't fill a niche or have a unique goal/ability.

5. Lingerer

Same same point, another survivor variant. Except this one is super super powerful without a real point. Depending on whether or not it can see names in the night chat this role would want to just reveal the entire mafia to the town. Even if it just saw "Mafia:" it would have the same problem the old spy used to have, mafia would stop communicating at night. This role is not something that I think can be saved with tweaking.

Choose someone to Haunt & Kill from beyond the grave once they've been murdered at Night

I'm confused about this one, is it a jester that that needs to be killed instead of lynched? This idea has been suggested a lot and I think something like it could work but the issue with it is that it is more likely to harm evils than town because evils are much more likely to attack it. Neutral Evil should harm the town more than evils so this needs more in order to do that.

7. Steward

I like this idea! It needs to be expanded on though, for a few reasons. Number one, survivor clone again. The ability does not match the goal unless it can vote for itself but that is still worse than the survivor that can protect itself at night. I think this could work well as a Neutral Evil or even a Mafia role as subtracting votes is an interesting ability, it just doesn't suit Neutral Benign. You could definitely develop this into something else.

8. Mystery Killer
Kills someone every night, but choose what your victim's death announcement will show as. (Example: Alice is Mystery Killer. Alice kills Bob. Alice chooses Ambusher. The next day, during the Announcements, it says that Bob was killed by an Ambusher.)
Neutral Killing

This is also something that could be cool! It wouldn't work well as a Neutral Killing role though, because it is currently just a buffed SK. I think this ability could be something added to the hypnotist, for example, or made into its own Mafia Deception role. I'm not too sure but you've got something to work with.

9. Vis a Vis

An interesting idea and the goal fits the ability. There is a problem, though, that the reverse jester you suggested has. It is too town sided as evil roles are more likely to kill it at night. NE should benefit evils for the most part. This could be reworked into something else too but I'm not sure what off the top of my head.

Can make ONLY 1 person in the Whole Game Reveal their role to the Town--takes 2 days to prepare

Roles that can confirm themselves are bad for game balance and roles that can confirm other roles are also bad for the balance of the game. This role ONLY benefits the town because it either creates a known town member and destroys claim space or it reveals an evil and they get instantly lynched. Also the ability does not match the goal as this is once again just a variant of survivor and the ability doesn't help it to survive.

11. Vindicator
Town

Too powerful, even if it is a little less strong than the old retri. When evils kill someone like the jailor or mayor they shouldn't have to worry that that person could come back. This role could be devastating to mafia win rates but also confirm mediums and further counter the janitor/framer. Hard no to revival roles.

12. Retaliatorist

Same problems as above and it doesn't have a real point to exist. It's super easy to win as and if an evil is revived they will just be jailed/rbd/lynched immediately anyway. Way too swingy.

13. Pierrot
Has to die in a specific way (killed by Coven / Town / Mafia / Vamps / Etc.). once killed, gains the ability to Rampage twice in the whole game.

This is a weird one because it would be very hard to win as but then it becomes rather strong. It's just too reliant on different factors and then it wrecks havoc. I don't see it working well in an actual game.

14. Healer
Heals poison, frame, hex, douse, infected, potential blackmail, basically any status effect.
Townie

This is another thing that has some potential, maybe as a town support rather than protective. A few things that would need to be tweaked though, it shouldn't heal poison for one. I also feel like it may too directly counter the hex master as it only wins if everyone is hexed, this role could just keep visiting the same person and prevent this from happening. Healing status effects could be useful though, maybe you can rework it into a full role.

That's everything. You have a few interesting concepts here that you may be able to make into more detailed and better roles. Just always consider how the ability helps the goal of the role if it is a neutral role as to not make a survivor or serial killer clone and also avoid confirmable/revival roles.
joaodasalmas wrote:Abilities: You can reveal yourself as the King Potato, and now you can't be voted.

My Roles:
Charmer
Oracle
Associate

Get in here and count to 200300 before 2030!
In-game my name is Jay
superdog551
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby runningwiththepower » Sat May 01, 2021 11:02 pm

superdog551 wrote:
1. FortuneTeller
Townie

This is just a better medium, it would be easily confirmable and could give town the wills of dead and cleaned people immediately. It's SUPER strong and I don't think it's very necessary.

2. Role Seer

RNG roles like this and the psychic are generally something that is not good for the game, they are too luck based. This role would be pretty weak due to how many roles it sees, especially if it can only do it 3 times. Also there isn't much of a point or a strategy to it, why would a survivor need to see what roles might be in the game?

3. Double Voter

A neutral mayor counterpart COULD work. The issue here is that this role, like the last role, is just a different survivor. When making a role always consider what the point of the role's ability is and have the win condition reflect that. Survivor has a goal of surviving to the end of the game so it gets four self protections. This role has a goal of surviving until the end of the game and to do this it gets two votes a few times?

Maybe instead it's goal could be to lynch two people and it could become Neutral Evil instead. This still isn't a great role idea but it could be a start.

4. Wildflower

Same point as above, this is just a survivor that can kill a few times. It should be Neutral Killing because it can kill, but then it's a really weak SK. There isn't a reason for this role to be in the game as it doesn't fill a niche or have a unique goal/ability.

5. Lingerer

Same same point, another survivor variant. Except this one is super super powerful without a real point. Depending on whether or not it can see names in the night chat this role would want to just reveal the entire mafia to the town. Even if it just saw "Mafia:" it would have the same problem the old spy used to have, mafia would stop communicating at night. This role is not something that I think can be saved with tweaking.

I'm confused about this one, is it a jester that that needs to be killed instead of lynched? This idea has been suggested a lot and I think something like it could work but the issue with it is that it is more likely to harm evils than town because evils are much more likely to attack it. Neutral Evil should harm the town more than evils so this needs more in order to do that.

7. Steward

I like this idea! It needs to be expanded on though, for a few reasons. Number one, survivor clone again. The ability does not match the goal unless it can vote for itself but that is still worse than the survivor that can protect itself at night. I think this could work well as a Neutral Evil or even a Mafia role as subtracting votes is an interesting ability, it just doesn't suit Neutral Benign. You could definitely develop this into something else.

8. Mystery Killer
Neutral Killing

This is also something that could be cool! It wouldn't work well as a Neutral Killing role though, because it is currently just a buffed SK. I think this ability could be something added to the hypnotist, for example, or made into its own Mafia Deception role. I'm not too sure but you've got something to work with.

9. Vis a Vis

An interesting idea and the goal fits the ability. There is a problem, though, that the reverse jester you suggested has. It is too town sided as evil roles are more likely to kill it at night. NE should benefit evils for the most part. This could be reworked into something else too but I'm not sure what off the top of my head.

Roles that can confirm themselves are bad for game balance and roles that can confirm other roles are also bad for the balance of the game. This role ONLY benefits the town because it either creates a known town member and destroys claim space or it reveals an evil and they get instantly lynched. Also the ability does not match the goal as this is once again just a variant of survivor and the ability doesn't help it to survive.

11. Vindicator
Town

Too powerful, even if it is a little less strong than the old retri. When evils kill someone like the jailor or mayor they shouldn't have to worry that that person could come back. This role could be devastating to mafia win rates but also confirm mediums and further counter the janitor/framer. Hard no to revival roles.

12. Retaliatorist

Same problems as above and it doesn't have a real point to exist. It's super easy to win as and if an evil is revived they will just be jailed/rbd/lynched immediately anyway. Way too swingy.

13. Pierrot

This is a weird one because it would be very hard to win as but then it becomes rather strong. It's just too reliant on different factors and then it wrecks havoc. I don't see it working well in an actual game.

14. Healer
Townie

This is another thing that has some potential, maybe as a town support rather than protective. A few things that would need to be tweaked though, it shouldn't heal poison for one. I also feel like it may too directly counter the hex master as it only wins if everyone is hexed, this role could just keep visiting the same person and prevent this from happening. Healing status effects could be useful though, maybe you can rework it into a full role.

That's everything. You have a few interesting concepts here that you may be able to make into more detailed and better roles. Just always consider how the ability helps the goal of the role if it is a neutral role as to not make a survivor or serial killer clone and also avoid confirmable/revival roles.

I don't think a role always needs to fill a given niche. And I don't agree with the idea that Psychic is too RNG based--i think Psychic is actually a pretty good & balanced role. I also dont think the ability always necessarily needs to inform the end goal of the role. I will try to balance them out more----what would you Rework the Ones you Liked into?
runningwiththepower

Postby superdog551 » Sat May 01, 2021 11:36 pm

I don't think a role always needs to fill a given niche. And I don't agree with the idea that Psychic is too RNG based--i think Psychic is actually a pretty good & balanced role. I also dont think the ability always necessarily needs to inform the end goal of the role. I will try to balance them out more----what would you Rework the Ones you Liked into?

I meant that roles shouldn't be rehashes of other roles, almost all of your NB roles were survivor remakes that can't protect themselves. That's not good role design, they don't have a reason to be in the game.

Psychic is completely based on RNG, the players it sees are completely random. It's really not balanced at all. RNG is not a good thing for this game and should be avoided.

Double Voter: Like I said in the post, maybe make it's goal to lynch a certain number of people. Still not the best concept but it can be tweaked more with other feedback.

Steward: Convert it into a Mafia Support role and change the subtracted votes to 2 while allowing it to still vote normally at the same time. Give it limited uses and do not make it reveal itself to the town when it is using its ability.

Mystery Killer: Convert it into a Mafia Deception role or as a Hypnotist/Forger buff, remove the ability to kill independently. If this wasn't already included, allow it to use any death message Spoiler: (Those being: Jailor, WW, Vig, Vet, Mafia, Ambusher, SK, Arso, Vampire, Pirate, Pest, Hex master, Jugg, poisoner, PM, Vamp Hunter, Medusa, CL, Necro). Also make it work like the janitor/forger where it changes the kill type if someone dies that night and allow it to target mafia members.

Healer: Make it Town Support, remove the ability to cure poison and maybe hexes/infections as those are dependent on being able to affect the entire town. Allow it to clear frames, blackmails, douses, and maybe even roleblocks and witch controls. I'm not sure if this is actually very viable this way but just off the top of my head that's what I can think of.
joaodasalmas wrote:Abilities: You can reveal yourself as the King Potato, and now you can't be voted.

My Roles:
Charmer
Oracle
Associate

Get in here and count to 200300 before 2030!
In-game my name is Jay
superdog551
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby runningwiththepower » Sun May 02, 2021 12:42 am

superdog551 wrote:

I meant that roles shouldn't be rehashes of other roles, almost all of your NB roles were survivor remakes that can't protect themselves. That's not good role design, they don't have a reason to be in the game.

Psychic is completely based on RNG, the players it sees are completely random. It's really not balanced at all. RNG is not a good thing for this game and should be avoided.

Double Voter: Like I said in the post, maybe make it's goal to lynch a certain number of people. Still not the best concept but it can be tweaked more with other feedback.

Steward: Convert it into a Mafia Support role and change the subtracted votes to 2 while allowing it to still vote normally at the same time. Give it limited uses and do not make it reveal itself to the town when it is using its ability.

Mystery Killer: Convert it into a Mafia Deception role or as a Hypnotist/Forger buff, remove the ability to kill independently. If this wasn't already included, allow it to use any death message (Those being: Jailor, WW, Vig, Vet, Mafia, Ambusher, SK, Arso, Vampire, Pirate, Pest, Hex master, Jugg, poisoner, PM, Vamp Hunter, Medusa, CL, Necro). Also make it work like the janitor/forger where it changes the kill type if someone dies that night and allow it to target mafia members.

Healer: Make it Town Support, remove the ability to cure poison and maybe hexes/infections as those are dependent on being able to affect the entire town. Allow it to clear frames, blackmails, douses, and maybe even roleblocks and witch controls. I'm not sure if this is actually very viable this way but just off the top of my head that's what I can think of.

OK so:

Double Voter: Lynch 2(or 3?) people. What is the average number of people lynched in a game usually? I feel like in most games I play, at least 3+ people are lynched over the course of the game so I would want the goal to be hard enough that the Double Voter has to work for it & can't just rest on their laurels so to speak.

Steward: Making it a Mafia Support Role could defo work but I still would want to keep it at -3 :P

Mystery Killer: Maybe this could be a Coven role?

Healer: I had kinda already figured it would prevent Controls & RBs ^^
runningwiththepower

Postby LevinSnakesRise » Sun May 02, 2021 2:06 am

Removed the off-topic/low-quality posts.

Please keep in mind that "LOL" is not a quality post; instead, explain why you like or dislike something.
Please contact BMG with any questions regarding your account issues;
support@blankmediagames.zendesk.com

Thanks.
LevinSnakesRise
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Role Ideas