Should the Medium's dead talking be removed and replaced..

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Should the Medium's dead talking be removed and replaced with receiving Histories?

Yes, replace talking to dead chat with Histories.
50%
No, and do not implement Histories.
No votes
No, keep talking to dead chat but also implement Histories.
50%

Total votes : 2

Should the Medium's dead talking be removed and replaced..

Postby SilverCruz » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:01 am

with receiving Histories?

Described here, in short the idea is that the Medium (who may or may not now be roleblock and control immune, that's up for discussion) can visit dead players at night and, if the player's true role is Town, receive that player's History which is an auto-generated Last Will outlining the actions they took and results they received up to and including the night of their death. They may attempt to visit non-Town roles (for the purpose of being able to figure out forged and cleaned roles), but if the target's true role is non-Town, the Medium will receive a message stating "You were not able to receive this spirit's history." and obtain no information instead.

I would say that removing the dead talk would probably be the better move, the main reasons being that it severs the last connection between living and dead players, allowing someone who goes down to leave immediately with a guarantee that they are not harming the game since there is no longer a role that relies on them staying around, and it would make Medium a more convenient claim for baddies since the dead chat is no longer a valid line of interrogation (as quote unquote valid as it is now, anyway). The only con I see is that it would slow down the Medium's ability to receive information in the event of multiple deaths in one night (allowing them to receive the Histories of everyone who went down that night would probably be a little busted and overwhelming), as well as in general unless they were made to receive a History (or be told they couldn't) as soon as they select a target to simulate being able to Will down "John Hathorne is the Ambusher" the same night they receive that information, which would be unusual behavour for a role, but I guess the jury's out on if that'd be bad since it's just a reinterpretation of something the Medium can already do anyway and if they gain roleblock and control immunity, nothing can retroactively stop them.

Also, bonus question, if you think the dead talk should be removed for Histories rather than them co-existing, do you think the Medium's Seance should also be removed, and if not do you think the Medium should be allowed to continue collecting Histories after dying so that they can present the information from them if/when they do use their Seance? (In this case, the Medium cannot receive a History on the same night they conduct their Seance, to simulate being disconnected from dead chat while that's going on).
I know what I'm doing, generally, but I have no grace at all when things start to spin out of control.

I'd like to address the latter part, but I wouldn't know the first thing about that.
SilverCruz
Sheriff
Sheriff

Re: Should the Medium's dead talking be removed and replaced

Postby superdog551 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:01 pm

I may be a little biased because I actually like playing as medium but I don't think the dead chat needs to be removed. Seance can go because evils should be able to cut a medium's communication when they die but I really see no problem with dead chat. I also like your histories idea, it would be very useful for when people leave so the medium doesn't become useless in that scenario. I think that the dead chat should stay and the histories ability should be added on top of it.
joaodasalmas wrote:Abilities: You can reveal yourself as the King Potato, and now you can't be voted.

My Roles:
Charmer
Oracle
Associate

Get in here and count to 200300 before 2030!
In-game my name is Jay
superdog551
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Return to Role Ideas