Pirate Rework

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Pirate Rework

Postby Ezradekezra » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:42 am

I remembered Cob's Pirate Rework from a while back and I wanted to expand on it a bit by adding my own ideas to it.

Role Name: Pirate

Role Alignment: Neutral (Other)

Abilities:
- Choose a player to duel each day.
- Duel the selected player at night.

Attributes:
- You cannot duel the same player twice in a row.
- At the beginning of the night, a 5-second countdown happens so that each player in the duel can get their bearings and prepare for what is to follow.
- You will compete against dueled players in one of the following minigames over the course of the night (chosen at random):
  • Codebreakers - Each player will be given a code and a number pad into which the code must be entered. Upon entering the correct code, a new code will be given. Whoever enters the most codes correctly wins.
  • Mazes - Each player is given a maze which they must navigate by dragging a marker through the maze from the start to the finish. Whoever completes the maze the fastest wins.
  • Picture Perfect - Each player is given a simple picture (a few shapes grouped together or something) which they must trace over. Whoever traces the image the most accurately wins.
  • Quick Math - Each player is given a series of arithmetic questions (should be answerable with mental math). Whoever answers the most correctly wins.
  • Gotcha! - Each player is shown a bunch of varying shapes of varying colors floating erratically around the play area. Each player is asked to click on a specific shape, with a new shape being required after each previous one. Whoever finds the most shapes before the night ends wins.
  • And more if I feel like coming up with more ideas

Notifications:
- You have decided to duel [player] tonight.
- You have instead decided to duel [player] tonight.
- The other player out-performed you. You lost the duel!
- You out-performed the other player. You won the duel!
- [Player] has been challenged to a duel, and may have a hard time communicating tonight.
- The [role] has been challenged to a duel, and may have a hard time communicating tonight.
(I should probably rewrite these notifications to have a bit of flavor, like the Pirate's current notifications)

Goal:
Win 2 duels and take your victims' booty.

Win Conditions:
You win if you successfully win 2 duels.

Special Attributes:
- Powerful attack, no defense
- Detection immunity

Investigative Results:
Completely unchanged so I'm not gonna bother writing them here.

Additional Information:
This Pirate rework is meant to make it a more skill-based role. While there is still RNG in which minigames are picked, the outcome of each minigame is decided by how well each player plays, which is what really matters. The end result should be that Pirate becomes more skill-based while retaining the chaotic aspect of the role that makes it fun.

Credits go to Cob for the original idea. Go check out their version of the idea that I linked.

I'm not sure what the optimal number of kills required to win should be for this version of Pirate, so I left it at the two that Pirate currently needs.
Last edited by Ezradekezra on Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Re: Pirate Rework

Postby Midio7 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:13 am

In quick math, you mean questions like 1+1? If yes, I don't think it's a good idea. Some people might use the calculator, which some write faster or slower, and others are so smart they can do them in the first seconds. I get it that its supposed to be a game which the winner is the faster one but I feel like Math Game isn't good. The rest sound good though.
Just a guy who plays Town Of Salem daily
Midio7
Lookout
Lookout

Postby CapWarrior2 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:53 am

Midio7 wrote:In quick math, you mean questions like 1+1? If yes, I don't think it's a good idea. Some people might use the calculator, which some write faster or slower, and others are so smart they can do them in the first seconds. I get it that its supposed to be a game which the winner is the faster one but I feel like Math Game isn't good. The rest sound good though.

It says arithmetic sequences, so it would be basic counting problems like 1,4,7,10 and finding the difference or finding the next one.
Idea Index:
Click Here

Reworked Idea:
Omen - Neutral(Evil)

Testing Grounds:
Come visit!
CapWarrior2
Doctor
Doctor

Postby Ezradekezra » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:39 am

Midio7 wrote:In quick math, you mean questions like 1+1? If yes, I don't think it's a good idea. Some people might use the calculator, which some write faster or slower, and others are so smart they can do them in the first seconds. I get it that its supposed to be a game which the winner is the faster one but I feel like Math Game isn't good. The rest sound good though.

Yes, the idea is that you can solve it with mental math.

I'm pretty sure that using a calculator here would actually slow you down a bit.
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby alex1234321 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:00 am

/support

This idea certainly isn't balanced, at least not in the conventional sense, but it definitely seems fun to play in Chaos gamemodes. The only issue I see is that the devs wouldn't want to program a bunch of minigames for one role, and there are certain balance changes that are higher priority. But I like it.

Also quick math is fun (yes, I think math is fun) and using a calculator would definitely slow you down as long as the questions are easy enough.
#SaveTheTG

Tired of trying to play discord Mafia games and not getting enough people? Join Town of Morons! We now have our own bot!

Credit to PurpleSidewalk1
alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Ezradekezra » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:59 am

Having to compete in a minigame instead of playing rock/paper/scissors makes it harder for people to talk in night chats when Pirated, so I'm gonna add a notification that informs everyone in a night chat when a member of that chat is Pirated.
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby OreCreeper » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:20 pm

Ezradekezra wrote:I remembered Cob's Pirate Rework from a while back and I wanted to expand on it a bit by adding my own ideas to it.

Role Name: Pirate

Role Alignment: Neutral (Other)

Abilities:
- Choose a player to duel each day.
- Duel the selected player at night.

Attributes:
- You cannot duel the same player twice in a row.
- At the beginning of the night, a 5-second countdown happens so that each player in the duel can get their bearings and prepare for what is to follow.
- You will compete against dueled players in one of the following minigames over the course of the night (chosen at random):
  • Codebreakers - Each player will be given a code and a number pad into which the code must be entered. Upon entering the correct code, a new code will be given. Whoever enters the most codes correctly wins.
  • Mazes - Each player is given a maze which they must navigate by dragging a marker through the maze from the start to the finish. Whoever completes the maze the fastest wins.
  • Picture Perfect - Each player is given a simple picture (a few shapes grouped together or something) which they must trace over. Whoever traces the image the most accurately wins.
  • Quick Math - Each player is given a series of arithmetic questions (should be answerable with mental math). Whoever answers the most correctly wins.
  • Gotcha! - Each player is shown a bunch of varying shapes of varying colors floating erratically around the play area. Each player is asked to click on a specific shape, with a new shape being required after each previous one. Whoever finds the most shapes before the night ends wins.
  • And more if I feel like coming up with more ideas

Notifications:
- You have decided to duel [player] tonight.
- You have instead decided to duel [player] tonight.
- The other player out-performed you. You lost the duel!
- You out-performed the other player. You won the duel!
- [Player] has been challenged to a duel, and may have a hard time communicating tonight.
- The [role] has been challenged to a duel, and may have a hard time communicating tonight.
(I should probably rewrite these notifications to have a bit of flavor, like the Pirate's current notifications)

Goal:
Win 2 duels and take your victims' booty.

Win Conditions:
You win if you successfully win 2 duels.

Special Attributes:
- Powerful attack, no defense
- Detection immunity

Investigative Results:
Completely unchanged so I'm not gonna bother writing them here.

Additional Information:
This Pirate rework is meant to make it a more skill-based role. While there is still RNG in which minigames are picked, the outcome of each minigame is decided by how well each player plays, which is what really matters. The end result should be that Pirate becomes more skill-based while retaining the chaotic aspect of the role that makes it fun.

Credits go to Cob for the original idea. Go check out their version of the idea that I linked.

I'm not sure what the optimal number of kills required to win should be for this version of Pirate, so I left it at the two that Pirate currently needs.

It's a pretty cool concept... but it doesn't really feel like a TOS role to me. I don't really think the idea of real-time minigames fit a social deduction game very well. Also, this would be way to difficult to code, as it's basically five completely different concepts merged into one role.
OreCreeper
Vigilante
Vigilante

Return to Role Ideas