Blackmailer rework

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Blackmailer rework

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:42 pm

Before you say anything, I thik bmer is fine, the problem is that it is because of its whisper ability more than because of the blackmail ability itself

Whisper hear makes sense lorewise, as the message you get is "Someone threatened to reveal your secrets" which makes sense because bmer hears whispers, but enough about that lets go to the rework

First, move the ability to the Godfather, the leader of organized crime usually is well informed of the things that happen in the city so I think it might be lore wise

Also a randomly spawning role that hears whispers its very swingy imo

Here is the blackmailer rework

Role name
-Blackmailer

Role alignment
-Mafia (killing)

Abilitiy
-Threat someone to stay silent

Attributes
-A threatened target can speak normally
-If a threatened target speaks at day, you will attack them next night, in addition of the normal mafia kill
-You can choose to cancel the attack if the player speaks
-You cannot attack and threat the same night
-If the target is put on trial, they can speak and it wont count in order to attack them

Notifications
-You were threatened of murder to stay silent, you are blackmailed!

Additional info
-Attack is basic and direct
-If you are rbed when killing, you wont kill and the ability will fail
-Hypnotist will be able to give this notification
-The role might seem useless because people can say they are threatened and TP will protect them, but that means TP would have to choose to go on them or go into snother person to prevent the normal mafia kill

Examples of the role:
Giles Corey is threatened
Giles: I am threatened please protect me!
James: but that would leave mayor exposed!
*Night starts*
*Doctor decides to protect Giles Corey*
*Blackmailer decides to not attack in order to not die to a posible bg*
*Mafia kills mayor succsesfully*

Example 2:
*James is threatened*
*James stays silent*
*James is put on trial for being silent*
James: sorry I was threatened so I decided to stay silent, I am bodyguard
*James Russel is voted innocent and doesnt speaks during rest of the day*

*Night starts*
*Blackmailer cannot attack because James only spoke while on trial*

Feedback?
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Re: Blackmailer rework

Postby BigSlug » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:54 pm

No. Even if it seems too swingy, if it's always in play townies will never whisper. If townies never whisper, witches that whisper maf are pretty much instantly suspicious as whispering is taboo.
Honestly, I'd like to see Blackmailer not get his targets role, but get their TI night results like Witch does [the target will also get their night results, BM isn't a rb or control]. This could be too much info though, seeing as it could out TIs to BMer even though he's not
consig. So i'm torn. Consigliere could get it as a buff actually. Consig doesn't really need a buff currently, but it could provide some interesting utility.
BigSlug
Jester
Jester

Postby alex1234321 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:52 pm

I think the biggest issue with Blackmailer is that it disrupts the Town's chat, which is the way that Town members coordinate to find and eliminate scum. Taking away someone's ability to speak takes away from arguably the most important core mechanic of the game. This change doesn't fix that problem, so I don't support it.
#SaveTheTG

Tired of trying to play discord Mafia games and not getting enough people? Join Town of Morons! We now have our own bot!

Credit to PurpleSidewalk1
alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Cookazoo2 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:33 pm

I know this will contribute almost nothing to this discussion, however, I wanted to offer up how I fixed this problem in a meatspace deck/forum game.

Blackmailer (Mafia)
• Silence someone at night, preventing them from speaking the following day. They are informed of this fact.
• Should your target slip up, their role will be revealed to the entire Mafia the night following.
Hiya. I'm a Tactical Mafia Kills supporter.

Help balance the Aliens!
Cookazoo2
Doctor
Doctor

Postby cookies4you » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:07 pm

Cookazoo2 wrote:I know this will contribute almost nothing to this discussion, however, I wanted to offer up how I fixed this problem in a meatspace deck/forum game.

Blackmailer (Mafia)
• Silence someone at night, preventing them from speaking the following day. They are informed of this fact.
• Should your target slip up, their role will be revealed to the entire Mafia the night following.

That just makes Blackmailer an even worse Consigliere, and Consigliere is already the worst Random Mafia with a functioning ability.

Exposing your role to the Mafia simply does not matter because Townies have zero reason to hide their role unless they're the Mayor or TP.

The trade-off of revealing one of the two Random Mafia roles hurts way too much for how little you gain from it.
cookies4you
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby OreCreeper » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:55 pm

alex1234321 wrote:I think the biggest issue with Blackmailer is that it disrupts the Town's chat, which is the way that Town members coordinate to find and eliminate scum. Taking away someone's ability to speak takes away from arguably the most important core mechanic of the game. This change doesn't fix that problem, so I don't support it.

I mean there isn't really a way to change this without making blackmailer no longer a blackmailer. Besides, I don't think it's a big deal, because it's not like blackmailers can stop everyone from talking at once.

Also, I don't support this change. Why? It's a mafia killing, but not only that, its kill power is controlled by other players, rather than itself. It also doesn't serve the original purpose of the blackmailer (which is to prevent people from sharing information, which this role does to an extent but to a much smaller extent than the current one).
OreCreeper
Vigilante
Vigilante

Return to Role Ideas