Arsonist (Rework)

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Arsonist (Rework)

Postby RiceHatMan » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:09 am

Role:
Arsonist

Alignment:
Neutral (Killing)

Changes:
- Igniting is now a day ability, in which you can target yourself to use it
- If you ignite all doused people at the start of the night will be notified that they will be incinerated. Any players that were just doused the night following the day you ignited will not be incinerated
- You will not douse all visitors automatically, and instead have to choose to do nothing during the night in order to do it. This means if you are role blocked, you will be forces to douse all visitors
- You will not douse the Jailor at the start of the night if you are jailed, but will instead douse the Jailor and anyone who visits the Jailor during the night if you are not executed (same priority as your normal douse). This will not happen if you ignited during the day or was doused the night before.
- You will be super-role blocked if you ignited during the day or you were doused the night before. You will also not douse all visitors. This also means you will be forced to clean yourself if you were doused

Notifications:
- Players will receive "An inescapable fire surrounds you. You have been ignited by an Arsonist!" at the start of the night if they are doused and ignited
- You will receive "You have decided to put your gasoline away and protect yourself from ignition." at the start of the night if you have ignited during the day or if you were doused last night. Notice how both cannot be true
- You will receive "You were role blocked, so you doused all your visitors instead of your target!" if you are role blocked
- You will receive "You doused the Jailor!" if you were jailed and the Jailor didn't execute you, provided aren't doused and didn't ignite during the day

Additional Notes:
You cannot be role blocked or controlled from recovering from an ignite or cleaning yourself. You will still ignite if you are jailed the following night, if you chose to the day before. Your doused targets won't die at the start of the night. In fact, nothing will happen to them at the start of the night. They will be notified in advance because it might give them information against you. If you feel confused, it's basically making all doused player Vigilante suicide, without the role block. Also, this only affects the players that were doused when the night began, so if another Arsonist were to douse someone the same night, they wouldn't be ignited. I felt the Arsonist rework wasn't done too well, as Arsonist was still susceptible to being role blocked and didn't really fit in with the rest of the Neutral (Killing). The dousing all visitors was way too situational, and wasn't as reliable as the buffs the other Neutral (Killing) got, and it also made Witch nearly unable to side with Arsonist. Overall, this rework makes Arsonist less susceptible to role blocks and jailing, while having many small nerfs here and there.
Last edited by RiceHatMan on Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:24 am, edited 5 times in total.
RiceHatMan
Investigator
Investigator

Re: Arsonist (Rework)

Postby DiamondRanger8 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:31 am

Harryyoshi wrote:Changes:
- Igniting is now a day ability, in which you can target yourself to use it
- If you ignite all doused people at the start of the night will be notified that they will be incinerated. Any players that were just doused the night following the day you ignited will not be incinerated
- You will not douse all visitors automatically, and instead have to choose to do nothing during the night in order to do it. This means if you are role blocked, you will be forces to douse all visitors
- You will not douse the Jailor if you are jailed at the start of the night, but will instead douse the Jailor and anyone who visits the Jailor during the night if you are not executed (same priority as your normal douse). This will not happen if you ignited during the day or was doused the night before.
- You will not be able to use any night abilities if you ignited during the day. This includes dousing all visitors. Basically, you are super-role blocked the night after you ignite
- You will be super-role blocked the following night if you are doused, and you won't be able to ignite during that day. You also won't douse any visitors from the super-role block. Basically, you will be forced to clean yourself. You will do this even if you are jailed, but you won't douse the Jailor if you have to clean yourself
- You will not be able to see who is doused

Notifications:
- Players will receive "An inescapable fire surrounds you. You have been ignited by an Arsonist!" at the start of the night if they are doused and ignited
- You will receive "You have decided to put your gasoline away and protect yourself from ignition." at the start of the night if you have ignited during the day or if you were doused last night. Notice how both cannot be true
- You will receive "You were role blocked, so you doused all your visitors instead of your target!" if you are role blocked
- You will receive "You doused the Jailor!" if you were jailed and the Jailor didn't execute you, provided aren't doused and didn't ignite during the day

Additional Notes:
You cannot be role blocked or controlled from recovering from an ignite or cleaning yourself. You will still ignite if you are jailed the following night, if you chose to the day before. Your doused targets won't die at the start of the night. In fact, nothing will happen to them at the start of the night. They will be notified in advance because it might give them information against you. If you feel confused, it's basically making all doused player Vigilante suicide, without the role block. Also, this only affects the players that were doused when the night began, so if another Arsonist were to douse someone the same night, they wouldn't be ignited. I felt the Arsonist rework wasn't done too well, as Arsonist was still susceptible to being role blocked and didn't really fit in with the rest of the Neutral (Killing). The dousing all visitors was way too situational, and wasn't as reliable as the buffs the other Neutral (Killing) got, and it also made Witch nearly unable to side with Arsonist. Also knowing who is doused never should have been a thing, I don't know why they added that. Overall, this rework makes Arsonist less susceptible to role blocks and jailing, while having many small nerfs here and there.

Honestly, this idea sounds much more balanced than the current arsonist. The arsonist having around the same power if not more power than the werewolf without being unique should not be the case. Even in ranked, the entire town could be doused in days. This way, you need to choose if you want a guaranteed douse, or the possibility of dousing more than one.
DiamondRanger8
Investigator
Investigator

Postby RiceHatMan » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:10 am

DiamondRanger8 wrote:Honestly, this idea sounds much more balanced than the current arsonist. The arsonist having around the same power if not more power than the werewolf without being unique should not be the case. Even in ranked, the entire town could be doused in days. This way, you need to choose if you want a guaranteed douse, or the possibility of dousing more than one.

I agree that passive dousing is too situational and can be over-powered or do absolutely nothing, so that is that is why I gave the ability to passive douse instead of normally dousing, so Arsonists can still use it to counter TP/LO meta.
RiceHatMan
Investigator
Investigator

Postby RiceHatMan » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:20 am

Do you guys think this is too over-powered? In my opinion, this is balanced. Feel free to rely if you think I am wrong.
RiceHatMan
Investigator
Investigator

Postby Brilliand » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:24 am

I'm not concerned about the power level, but I am concerned about the complexity. In particular, I'd like to keep the "ignite by selecting yourself at night" interface. Self-cleaning can be chosen the same way (so if you try to ignite yourself, you instead self-clean), and that leaves "do nothing at night" as the way to activate the passive douse. That way, there's no day ability, and no super-roleblock.

As for the "see who is doused" feature, I've grown to like how that interacts with passive dousing. That pseudo-Lookout ability has always been one of the cool things about Plaguebearer, and now there's a Classic role that has it.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby RiceHatMan » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:46 am

Brilliand wrote:I'm not concerned about the power level, but I am concerned about the complexity. In particular, I'd like to keep the "ignite by selecting yourself at night" interface. Self-cleaning can be chosen the same way (so if you try to ignite yourself, you instead self-clean), and that leaves "do nothing at night" as the way to activate the passive douse. That way, there's no day ability, and no super-roleblock.

As for the "see who is doused" feature, I've grown to like how that interacts with passive dousing. That pseudo-Lookout ability has always been one of the cool things about Plaguebearer, and now there's a Classic role that has it.

Really, I don't think it is that complex, but that is just my opinion. I could get rid of the super-role block thing when you are doused, but that was a nerf to force yourself to clean yourself to prevent Arsonists from killing each other. Really, there are only 3 changes. Firstly, igniting is a day ability, which still kills at the same time, juts allows you to avoid role blocks and jail. Secondly, you are know super-role blocked are igniting and being doused, to make you have to same killing power and force a clean. Thirdly, you douse all visitors only when you do nothing, and douse the Jailor and all their visitors if you are jailed. I did the last one because I felt it was a good replacement to passive dousing and worked more similar to other Neutral Killing. I can see how many would see this as complex, and I might get rid of some parts because of that. I, however, feel that this is a very good way to solve Arsonist's lack of utility to deal with role blocks and jailing, and also make it more consistent by replacing it's passive douse.

I can see how the pseudo-Lookout ability is cool and all, but it really doesn't come too much in handy other than the extra killing power. The reason for this is because you basically already know who visits you because they would already claim to do so during the next day. This means that you will only find Mafia, but then you realize the only Mafia roles that would even visit you are the Mafia Support and Framer (maybe Disguiser, but only late game when you probably already have them doused). I guess that is useful, but it's hard to use that information as a fake claim, since you are either role-blocked, blackmailed, or investigated by a maybe quiet investigator, meaning you couldn't have that information in a fake claim in the first place, you couldn't say it, or it is unreliable and as good if not worse than scum reading. Overall, the system will only help you douse more efficiently, and you also get to assume who is doused by visiting you. I will add it back, however, because I replaced the passive douse.
RiceHatMan
Investigator
Investigator

Return to Role Ideas