Spy Rework (Wiretap)

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Spy Rework (Wiretap)

Postby TheFluffyWaffleV2 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:03 pm

So it seems everyone is hopping on the Spy rework train so I figured I should to

Rework!

• The Spy has a day ability in which they will place a Wiretap on their target. At the beginning of the night, they will be notified if their target is Jailed (or Pirated). The wiretap will not fail in either case.
  • If the wiretapped target has the ability to speak at night, you will see every message they send. This includes Mediums, Seanced targets, Jailors, Jailed targets, Mafia, Coven, and Vampires. You will not see ability messages.
  • Members of the Mafia and Coven will be told that they are being wiretapped at the beginning of the night.

• Bugs and Mafia visits work the same as they do now.

The purpose of the Wiretap is not necessarily to find evils (although it can find Vampires ;D), but is more so to "blackmail" evils at night. The Spy should try to wiretap members of the Mafia, which would scare them into not talking or sharing information with their Mafia mates. Obviously, they can still talk, but then the Spy will know that they are talking to someone and are probably part of the Mafia.

Thoughts?
Retired Goop God
Spoiler:

jumpscare
TheFluffyWaffleV2
Retributionist
Retributionist

Re: Spy Rework (Wiretap)

Postby MacReturned » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:57 pm

TheFluffyWaffleV2 wrote:If the wiretapped target has the ability to speak at night, you will see every message they send. This includes Mediums, Seanced targets, Jailors, Jailed targets, Mafia, Coven, and Vampires. You will not see ability messages.

I guess this is a good idea? But this role just counters Factions even more than it did. I know it's meant for a counter to Mafia/Coven, but I think this is too much. I would gladly accept it though if Mafia was buffed. (im a hypocrite I made a Mafia hard-counter before too lol)
Spoiler:
YOU CALL THIS RESISTING ARREST? WE CALL THIS A DIFFICULTY TWEAK.

My role ideas:
Enchantress
MacReturned
Jester
Jester

Postby Mystoc » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:21 pm

the prob with spy is it can be countered just by not visiting people who havent died

Spy is the only TI who needs others to do something other than kill and thats it prob

its good at what it does now which is confirm town who mafia visited and didnt die but thats all it does

a role the relies on others to do things that it cant control doesnt work, spy is either good if theres a consort or consig or completely sucks theres no in between and it can be countered by a smart mafia
Mystoc
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby PatrykSzczescie » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:26 pm

After reading the title: The spy doesn't need rework!
After reading the post: Another bad idea. Discussing strategies with partners during the night is how ranked games are being played for town to have challenging enemies, not challenged because of the suggested spy rework. I know a good Mafia player in ranked game who starts N1 chat with already prepared strategy that involves Mafia co-operating. If the spy rework goes through, I feel this player being wiretrapped as he uses the same name every game, so he'll be forced to change it solely because of the rework. Moreover, the suggested rework will make Spy more confirmable than now with the simpliest Jailor meta.

Summarizing shortly, why this idea is terrible and should never be implemented:
- Punishes evil factions strategizing.
- Metagaming, targeting good players.
- Irrefutable confirmation with Jailor meta.
PatrykSzczescie
Transporter
Transporter

Return to Role Ideas