Copycat (Neutral Chaos)

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Copycat (Neutral Chaos)

Postby TripleHaven » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:18 pm

I created a similar role about a year ago but wanted to revamp it and post it here.

Role Name: Copycat

Role Alignment: Neutral Chaos

Abilities:
- On night one (and night one only), you may choose a player to copy. You will gain any abilities they have.

Attributes:
- You cannot copy the ability of Unique town roles.
- You cannot be roleblocked on N1.

Notifications:
- You have visited a [role] and have inherited the ability to [ability that role has]!
E.X, "You have visited a Doctor and have inherited to ability to heal others!"

Goal:
Survive until the end of the game.

Special Attributes:
Unique

Investigator Results:
Sheriff - Your target is Suspisous!
Investigator - Framer/Jester/Vampire/Hex Master/Copycat
Consigliere - Your target seems awfully familiar. They are a Copycat!

Additional Information:
- If a copycat visits a Unique town role, their ability will be randomized between the roles in the game. They are not told if this happens.
- The player you choose will not be told if you visited them.
- Only the ability is copied, not the alignment of the player.
FM Record
Town Wins: 11 (out of 26~, 42% winrate)
Mafia Wins: 4 (out of 4, 100% winrate)
TripleHaven

Re: Copycat (Neutral Chaos)

Postby cob709 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:48 pm

Seems like an interesting role. But it's basically a role combined with survivor, 1-shot consigliere, and amnesiac.

Sometimes the role they get are gonna be useless, such as a bodyguard or maybe they might actually copy a real survivor, or a GA, etc.

Anyways, I'm kind of indifferent about this role. it would definitely be interesting to play as but it isn't really special.
Also, please move the alignment to Neutral(Benign)
I SEE ALL
cob709
Mayor
Mayor

Postby MacReturned » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:17 am

The win condition is not suitable for a role with an ability like this.
I don't know what would be the win condition for this sort of role, but that can be thought later.
Spoiler:
YOU CALL THIS RESISTING ARREST? WE CALL THIS A DIFFICULTY TWEAK.

My role ideas:
Enchantress
MacReturned
Jester
Jester

Postby ABadWord » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:42 am

Win Con is weird. If you get something like Medium then your kinda screwed. Probably gonna get the lame Surv meta, I can see it now.

"Copy-Cat claim D1"

"Copy-Cat claim D2, am Mafioso now lol."
"Who did you visit?"
"12."
He was a Mafioso.
"Copy-Cat confirmed."
Owner of the super rare "Win 10 games as Jester" achievement.

I have no clue how you all are putting links hidden in text in your bio and Google won't help.
ABadWord
Jester
Jester

Postby Brilliand » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:50 am

MacReturned wrote:The win condition is not suitable for a role with an ability like this.
I don't know what would be the win condition for this sort of role, but that can be thought later.

The win condition for this role should definitely be the Amnesiac win condition: "Transform and then fulfill the win condition of the role you transformed into".
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Mystoc » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:28 pm

I have a very old role that is exactly this expect is Neutral Benign the admirer,

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=64854

this role is basicly a reverse amnesiac but for alive people so why isnt it NB as well?

you win con is bad its just live its win con should change into the role it becomes others its just a weaker surv with no vest most times but for instance it could copy SK and never kill with a perma basic defense and just wait for the game to end and win
Mystoc
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Brilliand » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:48 pm

Mystoc wrote:I have a very old role that is exactly this expect is Neutral Benign the admirer,

Your version also delays the transformation until its target dies; idk why you did that. IMO it should exactly parallel the Amnesiac mechanics, that is you can pick someone on any night you like and you immediately transform (provided you picked a valid target i.e. not a unique role).

At the same time, even fixed it's still kind of a mundane role, precisely because it's so much like the Amnesiac.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Mystoc » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:49 pm

Brilliand wrote:
Mystoc wrote:I have a very old role that is exactly this expect is Neutral Benign the admirer,

Your version also delays the transformation until its target dies; idk why you did that. IMO it should exactly parallel the Amnesiac mechanics, that is you can pick someone on any night you like and you immediately transform (provided you picked a valid target i.e. not a unique role).

At the same time, even fixed it's still kind of a mundane role, precisely because it's so much like the Amnesiac.

ehh not gonna get into discussing a different role that isnt the subject of thread it would derail the thread
comment there and i will discuss it theirs good reasons for the way it is or you can PM me about it
Mystoc
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Brilliand » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:03 pm

Mystoc wrote:ehh not gonna get into discussing a different role that isnt the subject of thread it would derail the thread
comment there and i will discuss it theirs good reasons for the way it is or you can PM me about it

Is it not the subject of this thread though?

Like you said, your very old role is almost exactly the same as TripleHaven's Copycat. If you think you were right to make your role need to wait until its target dies to transform, then by the same token you think TripleHaven made a mistake by not giving his role the same limitation, yes?

If you think the roles are different enough that they should have different limitations, then I'll leave it at that.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Mystoc » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:39 pm

Is it not the subject of this thread though?

Like you said, your very old role is almost exactly the same as TripleHaven's Copycat. If you think you were right to make your role need to wait until its target dies to transform, then by the same token you think TripleHaven made a mistake by not giving his role the same limitation, yes?

If you think the roles are different enough that they should have different limitations, then I'll leave it at that.

eh ok ill respond once but not again i feel like it takes to much away from this role

the reason it doesnt change right away is because unlike amnesiac it adds to voting power of the side it joins someone doesnt have to die for it to use its ability it needs to be weaker then amnesiac ability wise, the play style is better then it because it isnt rng waiting for someone to die it gets to choose right away or wait for more info on which side to join,

theres also no announcement of it becoming the role something that made anmesaic be super town sided,
also since town dies more then evils most times amnesiac became the first town dead role so they didnt risk dying with no goal

when i made this role i kinda viewed it as a rework to animesiac but im not bold enough to say so cause replacing a role is a big better to let it be a new a role

in short since it can join a side of a person still alive it needs to be weaker because adding to voting majority is to a side is a huge thing, it can still win before becoming a role it has two possible win cons,

i view this role as survivor/amnesiac hybrid who can wait to pick a side but most commit to picking one by choosing a person
Mystoc
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Return to Role Ideas