Defense Attorney (TS)

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Defense Attorney (TS)

Postby OrangeUMadBro » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:46 pm

Role Name:
Defense Attorney

Attack: None
Defense: None

Summary:
A wide-eyed public defender who wants to defend the falsely accused.

Role Alignment:
Town Support

Abilities:
-You may choose one unique person (including yourself) each night to defend from being voted up the following day.

Attributes:
-You must wait one day to represent someone.
-Your target (not self) will be notified that you defended them.
-The Town will receive a notification of who you represent the following day.
-If you are roleblocked, you can choose to represent your intended target the next night.
-If you are transported in a way which causes you to defend a repeat target, you will receive a notification and the action will not go through.
-If you die in the night, your target (if you had one) will not be defended the following day.
-You cannot represent the same person twice in a game (unless controlled by the Coven Leader or used post-mortem by the Retributionist or Necromancer).
-If you attempt to defend a Serial Killer, a Werewolf (on a Full Moon night) or Pestilence, they will stay at home and kill you.
-You may not defend a revealed Mayor.
-If you run out of applicable targets, you will receive a notification during the Night.

Notifications:
You must wait one day to defend someone.
You have decided to defend ____ tomorrow.
You have decided to defend ____ tomorrow instead.
There is no one left you can defend.
You were murdered by the Serial Killer you attempted to defend!
You cannot defend your new target.

A Defense Attorney has defended you.

A Defense Attorney has defended ____ from being voted up today.

Goal:
Lynch every criminal and evildoer.

Win Conditions:
You win with:
Town
Survivor

You must kill:
Mafia
Vampires
Arsonist
Serial Killer
Werewolf
Coven
Plaguebearer
Pestilence
Juggernaut

Special Attributes:
Unique role

Investigative Results:
Sheriff - You cannot find evidence of wrongdoing. Your target seems innocent.
Investigator - Your target could be a Spy, Blackmailer, Jailor, Defense Attorney, or Guardian Angel.
Consigliere - Your target defends people at trial. They must be a Defense Attorney.

Achievements:

Greenhorn: Win 1 game as a Defense Attorney.
Public Defender: Win 5 games as a Defense Attorney.
Associate: Win 10 games as a Defense Attorney.
Partner: Win 25 games as a Defense Attorney.

Objection!: Successfully defend someone.
Lawyer Up: Defend a Guardian Angel's target the night the Guardian Angel protects them.
Guilty as Charged: Be killed by the Serial Killer you intended to defend.

Additional Information:

Notes:
I am aware of the Lawyer role idea topic that came out a few days ago. (I'd recommend checking it out.) However, I thought my alternative name for the role and overhaul of the mechanics would be better suited for its own topic rather than as a comment. Also, I have been working on this before the other topic popped up, and I don't want my work to go to waste.
Roles Designed
Defense Attorney
OrangeUMadBro

Re: Defense Attorney (TS)

Postby Brilliand » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:39 pm

Have you read the Lawyer thread? That role was criticized heavily.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby OrangeUMadBro » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:51 pm

Brilliand wrote:Have you read the Lawyer thread? That role was criticized heavily.

Yeah, I have. I mentioned it in the Notes section (albeit not directly, I admit). I read it to see what could make this role work in a *hopefully* more balanced state.
Roles Designed
Defense Attorney
OrangeUMadBro

Postby TheFluffyWaffleV2 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:24 pm

OrangeUMadBro wrote:
Brilliand wrote:Have you read the Lawyer thread? That role was criticized heavily.

Yeah, I have. I mentioned it in the Notes section (albeit not directly, I admit). I read it to see what could make this role work in a *hopefully* more balanced state.

Balance wasn't the issue, it was usefulness. When will this be useful? How often? The town doesn't need roles that only help after midgame.
Retired Goop God
Spoiler:

jumpscare
TheFluffyWaffleV2
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby OrangeUMadBro » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:02 pm

TheFluffyWaffleV2 wrote:
OrangeUMadBro wrote:

Balance wasn't the issue, it was usefulness. When will this be useful? How often? The town doesn't need roles that only help after midgame.

This role probably is not the most useful of role ideas, I'll concede, but it has potential usage outside post-midgame. It can help confirm a role to Jailor Day 3.

There are also somewhat time-independent uses for this role. Also, this can also be useful if you have a gut feeling someone is innocent when the rest of Town might disagree. It can be used as collateral when attempting to find someone to trust. Finally, it can be used to prevent the Town from voting up someone the Defense Attorney believes to be a Jester.

I don't know how often any of these above things will be useful nor how often the role's usage will be outside post-midgame, but I am still grateful for the wake-up call to the ineffectiveness of this role. Legitimately, thank you for catching this so early on! :D

(On balance, I just think role ideas like Lawyer and Prosecutor where the author adds a "Jester refund" of sorts can be OP since it allows knowledge of a particular role that can harm the Town/Mafia. Probably should have explained myself better there. My apologies.)
Roles Designed
Defense Attorney
OrangeUMadBro

Postby ABadWord » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:01 am

I get the idea of this role, but it is simply to obtuse to be re-workable.

It's a role that does the GA cant vote for my boo thing, but a town member. Just like the GA, it's super easy to confirm. If an attorney comes out, that's a player that guaranteed isn't a evil no matter what. Also its purpose is to counter bad town members? If you know a guy shouldn't be hanged, you tell people, not go HEY! NO ONE GETS A VOTE On HIM! Any role could do think so long as they have a keyboard.

Probably best to scrap the idea. Its just pointless sadly.
Owner of the super rare "Win 10 games as Jester" achievement.

I have no clue how you all are putting links hidden in text in your bio and Google won't help.
ABadWord
Jester
Jester

Postby Mystoc » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:35 pm

this roles sole assumption is that town is bad and will hang the wrong person and you know better,

town at start has majority so they dont need this role at all to vote an evil, and later on if evils do have majority the game is over anyway since they if they cant hang you they just kill you at night

its a role thats only good for confirming itself since it has day time message everyone sees, guess what other roles interacts with voting and has a day time message,

Mayor yes this a worse mayor the whole idea of town doesnt know any better and a confirmed role taking the lead for town is already mayors job this role just doesn't work
Mystoc
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Return to Role Ideas