Exposer (Neutral Benign)

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Is this balanced?

Yes! It would work the way it is.
15%
Possibly, it just needs a bit of tweaking.
46%
No, not at all. A complete redesign should be considered.
38%

Total votes : 13

Exposer (Neutral Benign)

Postby BFFPanda » Thu May 21, 2020 10:01 pm

Role Name:
Exposer

Role Alignment:
Neutral (Benign)

Abilities:
-Expose one person every night to find a connection to the Mafia.
-During the day, you may choose to denounce an exposed Mafia member.

Attributes:
-You may only denounce a Mafia member once.
-You may only denounce Mafia members.
-Once you denounce, you will gain Detection Immunity.
-You may not be protected or healed.

Notifications:
When choosing a person to expose:
You have decided to expose XXXXXX tonight.

If the target is Mafia:
You have exposed a Mafia member for their secrets!

If the target is anything else:
Your target does not have a connection to the Mafia.

When the Exposer denounces:
An Exposer has denounced XXXXXX as a member of the Mafia!

When a Town Protective targets the Exposer:

Your target is an Exposer. They have refused your protection.

Goal:
Successfully expose and denounce one Mafia member.

Win Conditions:
As long as you successfully denounce a Mafia member, you may win with anyone, including the Mafia.
You cannot win if you do not denounce a Mafia member.

Special Attributes:
Attack: None
Defense: None
You may not be protected or healed.
After denouncing, you will gain Detection Immunity.
The Godfather will appear to not be a member of the Mafia, making it impossible to denounce the Godfather.
Denouncing can be done any time during the Discussion phase.
Your denounced target does not have to be lynched for you to win.
You may win from death, as long as you do not die on the same numbered night of the day you denounced.
(Ex: you denounce a Mafia member day 5, but die night 5, therefore losing. If you were to have lived through the night, you would have won.)
If you have exposed a Mafia member, you may no longer use your night ability.
If an exposed Mafia member dies, you must find a new Mafia member.
If there are no more Mafia members alive, you can no longer win as an Exposer and you will become a Survivor with no vests.

Investigator Results:
Sheriff - Before denouncing: Your target is suspicious! / After denouncing: Your target is not suspicious.
Investigator - Your target could be a Framer, Vampire, Jester, Hex Master, or Exposer. (obviously, non-Coven game modes would omit Hex Master.)
Consigliere - Your target holds a grudge against the Mafia and will stop at nothing to expose them. They must be an Exposer.

Achievements:
None yet

Additional Information:
This role was intended to add risky, double-edged assistance for the Town. It is intentionally difficult to win with Exposer. This is because Mafia is difficult to win as even without the disadvantage of an Exposer. Making it too easy would be unbalanced.

The reason I gave them Detection Immunity is to connect with the role's goal. A Sheriff would not find a person ratting out the Mafia suspicious, would they?

My original idea was to give them basic defense because this role is incredibly hard to win as, so having defense would make it a little easier to win. They would then lose their Basic defense after announcing as a way for the Mafia to attempt to "exact revenge", per se.

Instead, this role does not have a defense, to require effort and skill to win. You must gain the trust of the town to not be suspected as an enemy, but at the same time, not pick up too much traction and become a Mafia target. Coming out as an Exposer is a bad strategy, too, as Exposers cannot be protected in any way. This also discourages Town Protectives from saying they attempted to target an Exposer, as this would expose the Exposer. This also presents an interesting trade-off for Jailors to make, as jailing the Exposer would protect them, but waste a Jail.

Lore:
Pregame: “You are an exiled Framer who wishes to expose the Mafia.”

Example Game:
Exposer; A = Mafioso; B = Town member; C = Town Member; D= Serial Killer

Every described happening only affects Exposer. Any other happenings have been ignored.

D1: nothing.
N1: Exposer attempts to uncover D's link to the Mafia, and is unsuccessful. (even though D is a killing role, he is not Mafia. Exposer is unsuccessful.)
D2: nothing.
N2: Exposer attempts to uncover C's link to the Mafia, and is unsuccessful.
D3: nothing.
N3: Exposer attempts to uncover B's link to the Mafia, and is unsuccessful.
D4: nothing
N4: Exposer attempts to uncover A's link to the Mafia, and is successful.
D5: Exposer denounces A, gaining detection immunity, and is one step closer to winning.
N5: Exposer is not killed.
D6: Exposer will now win, regardless of which faction wins.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, let me know! I'm open to constructive criticism, but will ignore bland "no" responses.

I am also fully aware that this role is not Coven-friendly. I will be working on an update that will make the Exposer target the Mafia by default, but if there is no mafia, he will target the Coven.

Also, if I ever contradict myself in this post, feel free to call me out. I was kinda sporadic when writing this and things I’ve changed in one part of the post might have not been changed in another part.

I worked really hard on this, please let me know what you think!
above average jailor, sub-par amnesiac

My Roles:

Prospector - Neutral (Killing): "You are a crazed miner with extra Dynamite lying around."

Exposer - Neutral (Benign): “You are an exiled Framer who wishes to expose the Mafia.”

Famine, Horseman of the Apocalypse - Neutral (Chaos) {WIP}

War, Horseman of the Apocalypse - Neutral (Chaos) {WIP}
(We have Pestilence and a suggestion for Death, why not have the other 2 horsemen?)
BFFPanda

Re: Exposer (Neutral Benign)

Postby ARandomDouche » Fri May 22, 2020 5:20 am

This role would not be fun to play as. It is like the Sheriff, but except once you find a single member of the mafia, you have won. It is also a hard counter to the mafia, where hardcounters should not exist.

/nosupport. The entire idea needs to be scrapped or have a heavy overhaul.
ARandomDouche
Veteran
Veteran

Postby KAKERMAN23 » Fri May 22, 2020 5:29 am

I agree with ARD. It sounds way too hard to win as. Also, even though this wouldn't be able to appear in Ranked, it still has the issue that it is meant to help Town. Town doesn't need more help finding the Mafia. As ARD said, it's basically a one-off Sheriff. I'm also assuming that the Exposer can't expose coven members, so if you were playing a mode like CAA or custom and no mafia appeared, you would instantly become a vestless survivor, which is a nightmare already. I don't see why you'd have to find a new mafia member if the one you exposed dies; that is confusing and too difficult. This role is also kinda a hard-counter to Mafia similar to how the VH is a hard-counter to vampires (and we all know why that's already problematic). Overall, a creative idea in terms of lore, but not in terms of balance.
signature

this is a certified floating candle moment

i am female now jsjsjs
KAKERMAN23
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby BFFPanda » Fri May 22, 2020 9:02 am

KAKERMAN23 wrote:I'm also assuming that the Exposer can't expose coven members, so if you were playing a mode like CAA or custom and no mafia appeared, you would instantly become a vestless survivor, which is a nightmare already. I don't see why you'd have to find a new mafia member if the one you exposed dies; that is confusing and too difficult. This role is also kinda a hard-counter to Mafia similar to how the VH is a hard-counter to vampires (and we all know why that's already problematic). Overall, a creative idea in terms of lore, but not in terms of balance.

Well, in an update i’ll make soon, Ill include the mechanic in which you must find a Coven member if all else fails (see post). As for the difficulty part, now that I’m reading my own post the next day, I realize how stupidly insanely hard it is to win. I’ll consider a rebalance.

I thought a Mafia hard-counter would be fun tbh. I’d enjoy it, but now I kinda see the redundancy in praying you find a mafia member before you die, you know? Thanks for the feedback!
above average jailor, sub-par amnesiac

My Roles:

Prospector - Neutral (Killing): "You are a crazed miner with extra Dynamite lying around."

Exposer - Neutral (Benign): “You are an exiled Framer who wishes to expose the Mafia.”

Famine, Horseman of the Apocalypse - Neutral (Chaos) {WIP}

War, Horseman of the Apocalypse - Neutral (Chaos) {WIP}
(We have Pestilence and a suggestion for Death, why not have the other 2 horsemen?)
BFFPanda

Return to Role Ideas