Time Traveler (Neutral Chaos)

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Time Traveler (Neutral Chaos)

Postby Jsaifie » Thu May 14, 2020 4:38 am

Role Name - Time Traveler

Role Alignment - Neutral (Chaos)

Abilities - Use a time machine to either "traumatize" or "launch" your victims.

Attributes - Every 2 days, you may choose 1 person to jail, starting at the second day. At night with your captive, you are given the option to either send them back in time for the night which will "traumatize" them for the following 2 days (2 day blackmail), or you can "launch" them forward in time by 1 day, making them unable to participate in any of the daytime activities for the following day (no talking/voting). Their character will not be there during that day, but they will reappear the day after that and be able to participate in discussion and voting. Same player cannot be selected consecutively. Cannot jail a Jailor, you'll simply have no one jailed if you select one. Jailor can jail you on non-full moons only (when you don't have anyone jailed).

Notifications - When selecting a victim: "You have decided to jail (player).", To jailed player: "You have been dragged off to jail.", Choice: "You have decided to traumatize (player) with the past." / "You have decided to launch (player) 1 day forward in time.", Player affected: "Oh the horrors! You've been traumatized!" / "You are currently traveling through time."

Goal - Run 3 experiments for your research on time travel.

Win Conditions - You win when you've successfully traumatized or launched 3 players.

Special Attributes - Unique role. Night immunity on full moons.

Investigator Results - Spy, Blackmailer, Jailor, Time Traveler, or Guardian Angel
Sheriff Results - Not Suspicious
Consigliere Results - "Your target is able to manipulate time. They must be a Time Traveler!"

Achievements - Traumatize a Blackmailer, Launch the Pestilence, Traumatize someone who has simultaneously been blackmailed, Have someone's launching period coincide with their Guardian Angel protection.

Lore - A mysterious newcomer appears in town seemingly out of nowhere. There are rumors that people go missing by his house on full moons, and there have been reportings of unexplainable flashes of light and noise emitting from the windows of his house. This mysterious resident mostly keeps to himself and seems to be working on a secret project. No one knows what exactly he is working on, but the Town believes it holds a connection to the mysterious disappearances and hysteria going around.
Last edited by Jsaifie on Fri May 15, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jsaifie
Executioner
Executioner

Re: Time Traveler (Neutral Chaos)

Postby ARandomDouche » Thu May 14, 2020 5:38 am

The Win Con is confusing. Do you win by eliminating the town, teaming up with every other faction and sparing anyone in between? Without a goal in mind, I cannot really judge your role fairly.
ARandomDouche
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nikolaiBalck » Thu May 14, 2020 6:20 am

I think 3 day bm is too overpowered. Maybe 2 as max.
nikolaiBalck

Postby Jsaifie » Thu May 14, 2020 11:09 am

Win condition is when the only alive person able to talk or vote during a day period is you (this means this role should be teaming up with Blackmailer, but would also have to silence them eventually). When everyone alive is in the "traumatized" state (3 day blackmail) or in their "launching" period (not existing because they are traveling through time to the next day), then you have won. Game does not end, and will continue as players return from their launch or recover from the trauma. Traumatized and launched players cannot vote or talk during daytime period.
Jsaifie
Executioner
Executioner

Postby KAKERMAN23 » Thu May 14, 2020 11:16 am

If I'm understanding this correctly, the win condition is obscenely difficult to achieve, since you would need everyone to be either blackmailed or "launched" at once. Launching only affects them for one day, and traumatizing only lasts for three days, so unless there was a very small amount of players left, it would be very hard to win with this role.
signature

this is a certified floating candle moment

i am female now jsjsjs
KAKERMAN23
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Jsaifie » Thu May 14, 2020 11:48 am

The "Traumatized" blackmail should be permanent then. To balance this, you can only jail every 2 nights. I guess since it's permanent, these players should be able to vote still. Launched players rules stay the same. The incentive for launching a player instead of traumatizing them would be that they won't be able to perform their ability the next night, they have to wait until the following day to reappear. Also they can't vote while launched. So although launches only last 1 day 1 night, they can be useful for stopping killers / voters. Launched players can't be voted in the day or selected at night because they are not existent at that time, so it could also be a protection thing.
Jsaifie
Executioner
Executioner

Postby KAKERMAN23 » Thu May 14, 2020 11:50 am

Whoa whoa whoa, PERMANENT?! That's definitely too much. Not being able to talk for the rest of the game while alive would suck and be way too game changing.
signature

i am female now jsjsjs
KAKERMAN23
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby blort1105 » Thu May 14, 2020 2:54 pm

I think that it would be better if they have a set number of launches/traumatizes and to win they have to use 3 of them on town. The message when someone is jailed should be the same as a regular jailor, that way when they ask for a role it forces the jailed to think about what they say. This would add extra difficulty to the role because they have to make sure they aren't found out and also kill real town. This would be a game-changer if jailor and this are in a game, as townies might consider claiming evil roles to the jailor. This would mean that they could have 1 or 2 for wiggle room, while still having to think about what people are claiming. Investigative and Support roles would be at the top of the list for the Time traveler to target, as they could end all chances of them winning.
blort1105

Postby Jsaifie » Fri May 15, 2020 3:12 pm

I've made updates to hopefully balance it out. It should be easier to win but also not too overpowered now.
Jsaifie
Executioner
Executioner

Postby blort1105 » Fri May 15, 2020 3:17 pm

It seems much better now! I'm glad you took everyone's suggestions.

Sorry to nitpick, but you might want to try and change the theme. Try and come up with something more fitting for TOS. Today we don't even have time travel, let alone in Salem like 300 years ago. Not that the game is realistic, just I think it could benefit theme-wise from not being a Time Traveler.
blort1105

Postby ARandomDouche » Sat May 16, 2020 12:52 am

This role's purpose is to cause chaos, nothing else. Also don't bring up the pirate or vampires into this because they are also flawed roles that need a change.

/nosupport
ARandomDouche
Veteran
Veteran

Postby KAKERMAN23 » Sat May 16, 2020 5:02 am

ARandomDouche wrote:This role's purpose is to cause chaos, nothing else. Also don't bring up the pirate or vampires into this because they are also flawed roles that need a change.

/nosupport

that's why they are neutral chaos roles and only really exist in chaos gamemodes (and coven classic for some reason). i think pirate is a fine role, but vampire is definitely super unbalanced and annoying as all hell to deal with, so much so that they created a role to counter vampire. as long as this role was only neutral chaos, i would be fine with it (although not in its current state)
signature

i am female now jsjsjs
KAKERMAN23
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby lemonader666 » Sat May 16, 2020 5:09 am

ARandomDouche wrote:This role's purpose is to cause chaos, nothing else. Also don't bring up the pirate or vampires into this because they are also flawed roles that need a change.

/nosupport

Don't even bother arguing about NCs, ARD. These people will find every possible way to justify them, because bmg set a standard for how shit the roles can be to be in the game.

you can email me at lemonader666@gmail.com if need be
lemonader666
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Postby Crona111 » Sat May 16, 2020 5:37 pm

/nosupport

Pirate is a perfect role frick you for saying that.

But in all seriousness, what does every Neutral role do exactly? Jester, Executioner, NK's, and dont even get me started on Pest.
Damn I'm too lazy to add anything.

If you see "Purple Popcorn" in your game I love you.
Crona111
Witch
Witch

Postby lemonader666 » Sat May 16, 2020 6:58 pm

Crona111 wrote:

/nosupport

But in all seriousness, what does every Neutral role do exactly? Jester, Executioner, NK's, and dont even get me started on Pest.

Wow, it's almost like every neutral role designed to cause chaos is bad in design
SK, Arso and Witch are the only balanced neutrals, all the rest are all intentionally bad because muh chaos

you can email me at lemonader666@gmail.com if need be
lemonader666
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Postby Jsaifie » Sat May 16, 2020 7:23 pm

Chaos roles are there to add flavor to the game. It makes sense if you'd hate to see them in ranked matches, as they would just make the games annoyingly difficult to win when you're striving for that elo. However, most people play ToS casually and like to see chaos ensue in the town because it's interesting gameplay. Having fun is more important than winning, after all. When it isn't ranked at least.
Jsaifie
Executioner
Executioner

Postby ARandomDouche » Sat May 16, 2020 7:41 pm

This post says otherwise.

Flake wrote:Concepts Not To Make:
Chaos Role - Any role that is built to bring chaos to the game
ARandomDouche
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Crona111 » Sat May 16, 2020 7:51 pm

lemonader666 wrote:
Crona111 wrote:

/nosupport

Wow, it's almost like every neutral role designed to cause chaos is bad in design
SK, Arso and Witch are the only balanced neutrals, all the rest are all intentionally bad because muh chaos

They cause chaos is my point, it's not bad in design. Also there is no "balanced" NK role, they all suck right now.
Damn I'm too lazy to add anything.

If you see "Purple Popcorn" in your game I love you.
Crona111
Witch
Witch

Return to Role Ideas