Seer (Town Investigative)

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Seer (Town Investigative)

Postby JacksonVirgo » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:40 pm

Seer
Town Investigative

Abilities
Each night you may check an alignment slot. If that slot is non-town or a "Random x" or "Any" slot you will be unable to use your ability the following night.

Attributes
- Your sight gives of a magical vibe, making you appear as Coven to alignment checking roles.
- Non-town and random slots count as "Random Town", "Mafia Support", "Neutral Killing" etc

I tried making a "Librarian" role that can shorten claim-space but also gives the ability to see what the Town is dealing with but in a way with consequences as well as a suitable claim for if someone appears as sus to the Sheriff so it isnt completely overpowered or underpowered. It may be bad, be gentle :c
Pronouns - They/Them

On-site FM Record: 11-0-11
Spoiler: Latest Town Game: VFM75 - Citizen - Win
Latest Scum Game: SFM79 - Coroner - Win
Latest Neutral Game: SFM72 - Failed Assassin - Win
Last updated 02.12.20 AEST
JacksonVirgo
Sheriff
Sheriff

Re: Seer (Town Investigative)

Postby Brilliand » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:49 am

Reminiscent of these role ideas:

Statician (Town Investigative)
Spy rework [Role-Tracker]

Seems... not terrible. I would remove the explicit downsides (appearing as Coven and losing a night after checking non-town), as I don't think their benefits are worth the added complexity. I get that you were trying to fix one of the mentioned problems with Statician, but I don't think putting a cooldown on the ability is the right way to do that.

When it "checks" an alignment slot, it sees which role was rolled in that slot, correct? I.e. "The first Random Town is a Sheriff"?
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby JacksonVirgo » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:53 am

Brilliand wrote:Reminiscent of these role ideas:

Statician (Town Investigative)
Spy rework [Role-Tracker]

Seems... not terrible. I would remove the explicit downsides (appearing as Coven and losing a night after checking non-town), as I don't think their benefits are worth the added complexity. I get that you were trying to fix one of the mentioned problems with Statician, but I don't think putting a cooldown on the ability is the right way to do that.

When it "checks" an alignment slot, it sees which role was rolled in that slot, correct? I.e. "The first Random Town is a Sheriff"?

I wanted to give Coven a way to fake anything other than being framed if caught as sus if it's impossible to try and outclaim a Sheriff for example. I merged a role with the FM miller role kinda. I probably need to come up with something new for checking evil roles, maybe locking a Town slot from being checked? That sounds bad so probably not.

And yeah, they will see the role corresponding to that slot.
Pronouns - They/Them

JacksonVirgo
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby JacksonVirgo » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:17 am

Maybe having x amount of scum checks possible? And unlimited town checks?
Pronouns - They/Them

JacksonVirgo
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby Brilliand » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:58 am

JacksonVirgo wrote:Maybe having x amount of scum checks possible? And unlimited town checks?

Even one scum check, and you've learned one of the random scum roles, producing the effect that orangeandblack5 is worried about. Two scum checks, and you know the entire Mafia/Coven team composition (in Ranked). Additional checks to determine the NE and NK are arguably not even worth a night, since those roles tend to reveal what they are fairly early on anyway.

I'm not sure that effect is too powerful to put in a role, but if it is, the way to fix it is to add uncertainty, not to limit how often it can be used.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby orangeandblack5 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:39 am

Brilliand wrote:
JacksonVirgo wrote:Maybe having x amount of scum checks possible? And unlimited town checks?

Even one scum check, and you've learned one of the random scum roles, producing the effect that orangeandblack5 is worried about. Two scum checks, and you know the entire Mafia/Coven team composition (in Ranked). Additional checks to determine the NE and NK are arguably not even worth a night, since those roles tend to reveal what they are fairly early on anyway.

I'm not sure that effect is too powerful to put in a role, but if it is, the way to fix it is to add uncertainty, not to limit how often it can be used.

lol he knew I wouldn't like it

But yeah, I'm really not a fan of anything that outs the team composition of the scumteam. If they have a quieter role like a Consig of Framer, outing that directly with no chance for error is both uninteresting for gameplay and decently destructive to a lot of legitimate scum strategies for no real reason.

Conversely, I think my biggest issue with this role in particular is that you'd basically just clear the RT slots unless you had direct CCs on what the roles are. This really takes away from the "social deduction" aspect of the game, as you no longer need to figure out who is lying, and you don't even need to guess which one could be lying and try to investigate them without being redirected or having your target framed or the like. Instead, all you really need to have done was just start clearing the Random Town slots from the start of the game, and you'll be able to start tearing through fakeclaims due to a huge lack of claimspace. Imagine two of these things getting together on N1 - by N3, they will have figured out all three RTs and the TP, and by N5 they will have checked the TI slots and almost every possible thing scum could claim have been locked. Any role that can put that much knowledge in the Town's hands on Night 3 is honestly a problem.

So yeah, not only can one of these things tear through the scum faction, but two of them can box the scum out entirely. Also lol Covenmiller

Really not a fan.
Spoiler:
SwampRabbit wrote:your idea is that no town should ever be able to confirm themselves as town.

that is the dumbest idea I think I have heard.

ElderSivart wrote:I'm confused as to why BMG made a UI for Pirate and not Hypnotist.

Sarah Thorpe wrote:Role Ideas is great for masochists.
orangeandblack5
Halloween 2017 Winner
Halloween 2017 Winner

Postby Brilliand » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:51 am

Yeah, checking the Random Town slots is a bigger deal than checking the Random Mafia slots.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Return to Role Ideas