Voodoo Queen, Coven

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Voodoo Queen, Coven

Postby Malphas » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:16 pm

Role Name:
Voodoo Queen
Role Alignment:
Coven Abilities:
You may choose to to link up two people on even days.
Attributes:
During the day you choose two players to link up, that means that if a Sherif, investigates one of the linked up players he'll get the results for both of them. That also means that if one of the linked players is attacked the other linked player will also be attacked. The linked players will not be informed that they've been linked and if the linking leads to death the player from whom the attack which killed the linked player came from will be credited the kill. The link will decay after one night and the Voodoo Queen has to wait till the next even day before she can link two players up again. Once the Necronomicon is in her possession she'll be able to link people every day and gains Basic defense.
Notifications:
Goal:
Kill all who would oppose the Coven.
Win Conditions:
You win with: Coven and Survivor
You must kill: Mafia, Vampires, Arsonist, Serial Killer, Werewolf, Plaguebearer, Pestilence and Juggernaut.
Special attributes:
Control Immunity
Detection Immunity (with the Necronomicon)
Coven Chat
Unique Role
Investigator Results:
Sheriff:
1. Without the Necronomicon: Your target is suspicious.
2. With the Necronomicon: You cannot find evidence of wrongdoing. Your target seems innocent.
Investigator – Your target could be an Psychic , a Hypnotist , a Voodoo Queen or a Medium .
Consigliere - Your target has a way with Sympathetic magic. They must be a Voodoo Queen
Achievements:
/
Additional Information:
Lore:
You're a mistress of Voodoo magic who despite achieving the level of power and gaining the title Voodoo Queen have been scorned. Well, no more. You've decided to take matters into your own hands and gain the respect that you've been denied.
Malphas

Re: Voodoo Queen, Coven

Postby Brilliand » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:32 pm

The "linker" role has been done in a few different versions, I'm sure I'e seen it for Coven.

The particular version you present here has the problem that it can't kill as a solo role with the Necronomicon. The last Coven left alive needs to be able to kill without help.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Malphas » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:53 pm

I see says the blind man, so with the Necronomicon the Voodoo Queen deals a basic astral attack to the player which she chose first. Would that work?
And can you remember what the previous "linker" role was like, maybe I can use it to better this one.
Malphas

Postby Brilliand » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:19 pm

Malphas wrote:I see says the blind man, so with the Necronomicon the Voodoo Queen deals a basic astral attack to the player which she chose first. Would that work?

That would solve the "no killing power" problem, but there are also problems with the "link" ability being overpowered when you do have killing power.

Malphas wrote:And can you remember what the previous "linker" role was like, maybe I can use it to better this one.

Town Support: Seamstress
Coven Evil: Hereditarian
Neutral Chaos: Doom Prophet / Death, Horseman of the Apocalypse
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Malphas » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:43 pm

I've looked through the other 'linker' roles and concluded that they're ether overpowered or not enough balanced.

That would solve the "no killing power" problem, but there are also problems with the "link" ability being overpowered when you do have killing power.

I can see the problem, but first I feel I should clear up what I meant with Astral Basic attack. The Voodoo Queen would only deal that attack to the player she first selected and would not be carried over to the other linked player.

But, I think you're right, the linker role is powerful all on it's own without any kink of attack so the solotion to that would be heavy nerfing. I was thinking that going with concept of too much of a good thing is bad and making it that with the Necronomicon the Voodoo Queen can link player anytime she wants, but linking them while the Necronomicon is in her possession informs the targets that they've been linked (they're not told who they're linked with) and if they die the night they've been linked (with the Necronomicon in possession) the couse of death is announced as what killed them along with information that they have been linked. Also with the Necronomicon the Voodoo Queen does not gain a Basic Astral attack unless she's the last living Coven member.

So to conclude, with the Necronomicon the Voodoo Queen can: 1) link players when ever she wants, no matter what day it is; 2) if a target dies while linked the Town will be alerted to the Voodoo Queen's presence in the death announcement; 3) gains a Basic Astral attack only if all other Coven members are dead, the attack is dealt to the first selected target and doesn't carry over to the other slected player; 4) linked players are informed at the end of the night that they've been linked

I think that's all and I apologise for the grammar I'm writing this on my phone while I'm at work... yeah sorry.
Malphas

Postby Brilliand » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:19 pm

Malphas wrote:Also with the Necronomicon the Voodoo Queen does not gain a Basic Astral attack unless she's the last living Coven member.

Then if it's just the Voodoo Queen (w/Necronomicon) and the Poisoner, then the Coven has no killing power if there's a doctor still alive...

No, the Necronomicon has to give her killing power, period. No stricter "last coven member alive" requirement (in fact I'm sure the Necronomicon was meant as a more clever version of "last coven member alive" anyway).

Malphas wrote:So to conclude, with the Necronomicon the Voodoo Queen can: 1) link players when ever she wants, no matter what day it is;

I think between the single-target attack with Necronomicon and the cooldown on linking, you've brought her into a reasonable power range; but she still has the problem of having too simple a strategy - she's mostly just copying the other coven members' attacks for extra killing power. I think EgyptFalcon is right that this works better as a Town role, for much the same reason the Transporter does.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Malphas » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:16 am

Then do you propose I redo the Voodoo Queen as a Town role or leave it be as it was already done.
Malphas

Postby Brilliand » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:45 am

Malphas wrote:Then do you propose I redo the Voodoo Queen as a Town role or leave it be as it was already done.

The "Seamstress" I linked to is pretty much the Voodoo Queen as a town role. Can you make it different from that? If not, I'd just leave it be.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Return to Role Ideas