Role Idea: Wiretapper

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Role Idea: Wiretapper

Postby AtomicWheeze » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:03 pm

Wiretapper

You can listen in on secret conversations and figure out what they are saying.

Alignment: Town (Investigative)

Attack: None

Defense: None

Unique: No

Goal: Lynch every criminal and evildoer (Town standard).

Abilities: You can choose to Mic someone during the day. You may do this 5 Times.

Attributes:
-After you mic someone and listen in onto them, they will discover and destroy the mic at the end of the night, and you can no longer listen in on them or mic them. They are alerted to this.

-During the day, before voting starts, you can listen to Whispers made by anyone by clicking on them.

-You hear what revealed town roles whisper to another person or what’s whispered to them at any time.

-If Your target is in occupancy with other people, their names will appear as “???”.

-If you mic a Medium during the day, at night you can hear them speak, but not the dead.

-Placing a mic on a Vampire, Mafia or Coven member will show their entire nightly chat to you for that night. Everyone other than your victim will be listed as anonymous.

-Placing a mic on a Jailor or their nightly victim will allow you to listen in to both.

Sheriff Results: You cannot find evidence of wrongdoing. Your target appears Innocent.

Investigator Results: Your target is a Spy, Blackmailer, Jailor or Wiretapper.

Consigliere/Witch Results: Your target listens in to secret conversations. They must be a Wiretapper.

Example Notifications:
-“You have decided to place a mic on Jonathan.”
-“Your target is surrounded by others.” (Mafia/Coven/Vampires)
-“Your target is in occupancy with another.” (Jailor, Jailor Victim)
-“You hear your target talking to themselves.” (Medium)
-“Your target has discovered and destroyed their mic. You cannot wiretap them anymore.”

Please feel free to give feedback about this role, as I’m fairly new to the game and I’m not 100% sure what constitutes for a balanced role. Please don’t be too harsh on me! I didn’t write a Lore or Achivements as those are more filler and I’m sure someone could easily do that on their own. Thanks!
AtomicWheeze

Re: Role Idea: Wiretapper

Postby Brilliand » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:54 pm

So it's... basically the old Spy? Minus some reliability, but still. The "listen to whispers" ability gives too much confirmability, and the "listen to night chat" ability messes with the Mafia and Coven's "night chat" ability (which is important to let them make interesting plays, instead of just acting like several independent evils that don't hate each other).
My best role ideas:
Conqueror
Apocalypse Survivor
Brilliand
Disguiser
Disguiser

Postby AtomicWheeze » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:20 pm

Brilliand wrote:So it's... basically the old Spy? Minus some reliability, but still. The "listen to whispers" ability gives too much confirmability, and the "listen to night chat" ability messes with the Mafia and Coven's "night chat" ability (which is important to let them make interesting plays, instead of just acting like several independent evils that don't hate each other).

Yes, I do agree. The whispering ability is a bit powerful, and the ability to read night messages could be powerful. However, with the ladder, if theres only 3 mafia theres a 3/14 chance of even getting a mic on one the first night, and since you only have 5 you shouldn’t use them all up immediately. With the former, however, I do think i have a solution: Instead of placing mics on players during the day, a Wiretapper visits them at night to do so. That next day, the Wiretapper can hear their whispers at any point duing the day and their messages at night, and then after night they destroy their mic and cannot be tapped again. That way, the Wiretapper must visit the target, opening to Vet and Werewolf kills, as well as lookout uses. This way, you can only hear that person’s whispers during the day once, and once they destroy the mic they know they are safe. Does this work at all?
AtomicWheeze

Postby Brilliand » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:59 pm

AtomicWheeze wrote:However, with the ladder, if theres only 3 mafia theres a 3/14 chance of even getting a mic on one the first night, and since you only have 5 you shouldn’t use them all up immediately.

5 is a lot - with that many, he stands a decent chance of using a wiretap every night and not running out before the game ends. (Even if he does run out, a game with few players tends not to have much secret chat anyway.) Fewer uses would make it harder to hear Mafia night chat, but even one use would be enough to do what I describe below.

AtomicWheeze wrote:With the former, however, I do think i have a solution: Instead of placing mics on players during the day, a Wiretapper visits them at night to do so. That next day, the Wiretapper can hear their whispers at any point duing the day and their messages at night, and then after night they destroy their mic and cannot be tapped again. That way, the Wiretapper must visit the target, opening to Vet and Werewolf kills, as well as lookout uses. This way, you can only hear that person’s whispers during the day once, and once they destroy the mic they know they are safe. Does this work at all?

You haven't done anything to prevent the Wiretapper from visiting the Jailor to self-confirm, though. The Jailor is a completely trustworthy person who can do whisper-tests, and the risk of a Lookout makes it hard for a Blackmailer to pull the same trick (although it could happen after the Mafia confirms there's no Lookout, possibly).

The Lookout is no threat to the Wiretapper, since they're both on the same team, so having certain knowledge about each other can only benefit them both.
My best role ideas:
Conqueror
Apocalypse Survivor
Brilliand
Disguiser
Disguiser

Return to Role Ideas