Medium/Ret buff

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Medium/Ret buff

Postby Pinkalyn » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:24 am

The concept is simple. Especially in non-ranked games, people die and immediately quit the game. It makes the medium and the ret increasingly frustrating to play. I've won more games as ret being turned vamp than as ret.

So the buff is simple, though it could cause complications: When you die as a town member, you are alerted to the presence of a role that interacts with the dead. Something simple, like, "You feel a lingering connection to the living world.", thus not telling you which role it is. If a medium is trying to stay incognito to the dead (dunno why they would) they could, and if it's a ret you have a legitimate reason not to leave the game until you've seen it play out.

If nothing else, we need to do /something/ with these two roles. Ret is extremely powerful, but you have to reveal yourself to everyone before you revive someone when everyone is quitting. It opens you up to all sorts of complications that you wouldn't have to deal with if people quit leaving. And medium is more of a joke than a role most games.
Pinkalyn

Re: Medium/Ret buff

Postby Brilliand » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:52 pm

This has been suggested before; I don't think it would actually help much with the problem of people quitting. They know there might be a medium, they just don't care.

I'd prefer to give the Medium an ability that works even if people leave, such as the ability to read the chat logs of dead townies.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Pinkalyn » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:45 pm

Seeing dead logs would either be overpowered or underpowered, most likely, but maybe something closer to the Necro's ability, but only on town roles. So the medium can commune with the doctor to attempt to heal someone, etc.
Pinkalyn

Postby Brilliand » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:55 pm

Pinkalyn wrote:Seeing dead logs would either be overpowered or underpowered, most likely, but maybe something closer to the Necro's ability, but only on town roles. So the medium can commune with the doctor to attempt to heal someone, etc.

That's powerful even if everyone stays, though. Seems like it should be a separate role, or a rework, not an addition. (Unless Medium is merged with Ret and used as an alternative to Jailor, like JacksonVirgo suggested recently.)
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Pinkalyn » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:46 pm

It shouldn't be too powerful if it has the same constraints as Necro (1 use per dead), and excludes evil roles (no killing except with vigi). But I understand what you mean. In any case, Medium is in need of some serious attention. At best you get one scrap of info from a dead lookout/sheriff, and at worst you get played into lynching town by evils pretending to be salty about their team.
Pinkalyn

Postby StrahmDude » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:04 am

If a dead townie cooperates, then seeing their logs shouldn't be overpowered in the slightest, as that is literally what their ability allows them to see. Just make it so that only works for dead townies.
StrahmDude
Doctor
Doctor

Postby Pinkalyn » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:36 pm

Ah, I did miss the part where it said "townie" in the logs. That could be the potential change to bring non-ranked Medium in line with ranked medium, since it gives people the ability to leave information for the medium without having to stay and find out if they exist. It doesn't fix ret, though, and even with this tweak I still feel both are underwhelming in an environment full of quits and disconnects (which are a separate issue that I hope is addressed soon, but still adding to the issues roles interacting with the dead have).
Pinkalyn

Return to Role Ideas