Tributary (Neutral Evil)

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Tributary (Neutral Evil)

Postby Phantasy146 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:54 pm

Role Name:
Tributary

Role Alignment:
Neutral Evil

Summary:
You are a former Lookout who sacrifices people when no one's watching.

Abilities:
- Sacrifice people at night, dealing them a Basic attack.
- If anyone visits the person you try to sacrifice, it will fail.
- (After succeeding at a sacrifice, you must wait a night in between sacrifices.) not sure about this
- Sacrificing is Astral.
Attributes:
- Basic Defense until attacked once.
- Basic Attack.
- Astral visits.

Notifications:
After failing a sacrifice: "Your sacrifice was interrupted."
After sacrificing a town: "You successfully sacrificed a pure of heart."
After sacrificing a non-town: "You successfully sacrificed an unpure of heart."
Anyone visiting the person you attempted to sacrifice: "You interrupted a sacrifice."
Player who sacrificed failed on: "You were attacked but someone fought off your attacker."
Death Message: "{player name} was sacrificed by a Tributary."
On Nights You Can't Sacrifice: "You are preparing your materials."

Goal:
Successfully sacrifice three pure of hearts.

Win Conditions:
Three town killed by sacrifice. Can win with anyone, alive or dead.

Special Attributes:
Astral Visits
Detection Immune
Basic Defense until first attack.
Can't sacrifice night 1.
Will know if someone is Town or not, overriding Disguiser and Medusa (not Janitor, since Janitor visiting would fail the sacrifice).

Investigator Results:
Sheriff - Your target is not suspicious.
Investigator - Your target works in the dead of night. They must be a Lookout, Forger, Witch/Coven Leader, or Tributary.
Consigliere - Your target is sacrificing people. They must be a Tributary.

Achievements:
Loyal Observer: Successfully sacrifice a pure of heart.
Devoid Follower: Win the game by Night 6 (earliest you can win).
This Won't Do: Successfully sacrifice an unpure of heart.
Someone Always Sees Me: Try and fail to sacrifice for 4 nights in a row.

Additional Information:
This would be kind of a reverse Vigilante, as it requires you to figure out who you think is pretending to be town, and who is actually town, and pick accordingly. You also may need to bait people away from someone you plan on sacrificing.
Some things I'm not sure of are:
  • Level of attack (Basic, Powerful, or Unstoppable). Even if it were Unstoppable, a doctor visiting would still scare them off. Basic would allow them not to worry as much about hitting a non-townie, since a lot of non-Town roles have Basic Defense.
  • Whether they need to wait a night in between kills. As it stands right now, this role can't possibly win before n6, which might be a bit long.
  • Some sort of change when all Town are dead. Once all Town die, if they haven't sacrificed three people already, they can't possibly win. However, if they got a message when all Town died, it would be a dead giveaway, so I'm not sure.

Lore:
The Tributary grew up in a religious family. They were once a Lookout, staking out people's houses and avoiding sight. When they saw the Mafia killing innocent townies, they knew it was a punishment from the gods. Searching through the ancient scripture, they found the only way to stop the god's wrath was to sacrifice pure of hearts. Knowing no one would allow him to do this, the Tributary used his skills to sneak into the Sheriff's house. Drawing the knife to sacrifice the helpless mayor, he was ready to strike. Until a knock on the door...
Last edited by Phantasy146 on Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantasy146

Re: Tributary (Neutral Evil)

Postby Brilliand » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:19 pm

An NE killer? No, no, this is more like a Pirate than anything. Neutral Chaos.

Compared with the pirate, it's not too bad, but I dislike the Pirate and "do X Y times" roles in general.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby ak521 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:05 pm

NK is like their own faction. As stated above, I agree with Neutral Chaos alignment (which is really unneeded imo)

Would players be notified if they were attempted to be attacked?
And any player or just town?

Your attack level is absolutely fine. Your delays aren't, you can add a one night delay before starting however.
I would recommend making it any types of players especially if you are to keep delays.
ak521
Witch
Witch

Postby Phantasy146 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:51 am

Brilliand wrote:An NE killer? No, no, this is more like a Pirate than anything. Neutral Chaos.

Compared with the pirate, it's not too bad, but I dislike the Pirate and "do X Y times" roles in general.

Yeah it makes sense to not have an NE killer. If they weren't doing the killing themselves, I also had the idea for them to "mark" someone; they would either have to lynch them the next day, or make sure they die at night the next day. Edit: Another option would be that they dont kill anyone, and the sacrifice just succeeds if no one visits then.
ak521 wrote:NK is like their own faction. As stated above, I agree with Neutral Chaos alignment (which is really unneeded imo)

Would players be notified if they were attempted to be attacked?
And any player or just town?

Your attack level is absolutely fine. Your delays aren't, you can add a one night delay before starting however.
I would recommend making it any types of players especially if you are to keep delays.

If it were to stay the way it is, anyone who was attacked and someone interrupted would get the message, "You were attacked but someone fought off your attacker." However, when the next day no one was dead they could deduce it was a Tributary.
Phantasy146

Postby MorganTheMod » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:38 pm

Phantasy146 wrote:If it were to stay the way it is, anyone who was attacked and someone interrupted would get the message, "You were attacked but someone fought off your attacker." However, when the next day no one was dead they could deduce it was a Tributary.

Or a Hypnotist if you are playing in the Coven expansion. Or the "attacker" could have been healed. Personally, do not see anything wrong with that message. It adds more deception, perfect for a Neutral Chaos role.

Other options for the delay are-
Cannot attempt to sacrifice the same person 2 nights in a row
Cannot attempt to sacrifice the same person twice in one game
Must wait one night after sacrificing an "unpure of heart"/non-town member

Just some ideas.

And the whole marking someone thing would either be too similar to Poisoner or would be useless because why mark someone if you are just going to kill them?- if I'm understanding what you are trying to say
Im usually named Yippie if you ever want to greet me in game
I have some role ideas floating around if you wanna check them out ;)(and more to come!)
MorganTheMod
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Soulshade55r » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:30 pm

Neutral Evil needs to become Witch wincons only, jester, exe and other roles are neutral benign (Jester is super NB)
Favourite Roles (To play)
Spoiler: Town: Jailor
Mafia: Consort
NE: Witch
NB: Guardian Angel
Coven: Necromancer
NC: Pirate
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Return to Role Ideas