Neutral Benign: Projector

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Neutral Benign: Projector

Postby Xpyro125 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:05 am

Projector
-You are a citizen who just wants to survive.

Alignment: Neutral Benign
Unique: Yes
Attack: None
Defense: None
Ability Type: Attack/Protection
Ability Priority: 3

Ability: You may use an ability by visiting a target, which is determined by their alignment.
Attributes:
-You project at night, performing an action in an attempt to ensure your survival.
-Town Killing, Town Protective, Mafia Killing, Neutral Killing, Neutral Chaos, Coven Evil: Gives the Projector Basic Defense for the night and reveals to their target that there is a Projector if they are attacked, protected, or healed by their target.
-Town Investigative, Town Support, Mafia Deception, Mafia Support: Reveals to their target that there is a Projector.
-Neutral Benign, Neutral Evil: Reveals to their target that they are the Projector.

Goal: Live until the end of the game.

Investigation Results:

Sheriff: You cannot find evidence of wrongdoing. Your target seems innocent.
Investigator:
Classic Results
Your target could be a Survivor, Vampire Hunter, Amnesiac, or Projector.

Coven Expansion Results
Your target could be a Survivor, Vampire Hunter, Amnesiac, Medusa, Psychic, or Projector.
Consigliere: Your target simply wants to live. They must be a Projector.

Lore:

The Projector was an average villager before he began having out of body experiences at night. He was unsure what caused this, so he consulted the Medium, though she was unable to help him. He then asked the Psychic what was happening, who explained that he was having bouts of etheric projection. Rather than live in fear about his defenselessness, he instead tried to do whatever he could to survive.

Notifications:

-You have protected yourself for the night with the help of your target.You also revealed to them that there is a Projector.
-You revealed to your target that you are the Projector.
-You revealed to your target that there is a Projector.
-You hear from a spirit that [Player] is a Projector.
-You hear from the spirit of [Player] that they are a Projector.

Achievements:

Day To End- Win one game as the Projector.
ThereIn- Win 5 games as the Projector.
No One- Win 10 games as the Projector.
On Your Time- Win 25 games as the Projector.
The Sun Fired Blanks- Protect yourself from an attack by using your target's ability.
Exposure- Reveal to the Mafia or Coven that there is a Projector.
Asleep in the Bandaged Light- Win 5 games with the Town or lone Neutrals.
FreeCard- Win 5 games with the Mafia or Coven.

Additional Notes:

-While giving the Projector roleblock immunity could make sense practically, I feel that it would be too overpowered.
-I initially made it so that you would reveal that you are the Projector to your target if they attacked you, though I scrapped it because I felt that it would also be too overpowered. Revealing oneself is a bit too strong of a tool with an attacker as a Neutral Benign, at least to me.
-There will definitely be situations where you don't want the protection, and the same goes with revealing any sort of information to other factions, though we all know that much.
-My main goal was to make this balanced, hectic, and as close to a true Neutral Benign as I could get.
-I know it's a bit of a glorified Survivor, but I wanted to make it a bit more interactive, uncertain, and dynamic at night.

Edits:

1. Fixed the Ability and Attributes descriptions. (9/16/19 5:30 PM)
2. Changed the Attacking/Protecting visits to only reveal information to the Projector's target if their target visits them. (9/16/19 10:00 PM)
3. Tweaked the attributes to add Town Protective to the first classification. This changes it so that if the Projector is visited by their target, and that target is a Town Protective, they are only informed that there is a Projector, rather than telling them that you are the Projector. A similar thing has been done with Town Investigative being relegated to the category with the Support roles. lowering the number of categories from five to three. Notifications have been changed to reflect this. (9/17/19 3:30 AM)
Last edited by Xpyro125 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:37 am, edited 9 times in total.
I like to give my thoughts on things, especially about ideas for roles. I don't even care what happens with the ideas, it's just fascinating to me.

Just here to have fun. As for any of the roles I make, I don't make them to necessarily be in the game, instead as a "what if".
Xpyro125

Re: Neutral Benign: Projector

Postby JacksonVirgo » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:45 am

The abilities should be a one line 'blurb' of what your role does. Attributes lists details. You have the two swapped.

Also I am a bit iffy with the whole self-confirming thing for a Neutral Benign. I also thinking Amne should be silent but that's me. Otherwise I think I like it, may be too similar to Survivor but you already made that point so Ima leave it here.
Pronouns - They/Them

On-site FM Record: 11-0-11
Spoiler: Latest Town Game: VFM75 - Citizen - Win
Latest Scum Game: SFM79 - Coroner - Win
Latest Neutral Game: SFM72 - Failed Assassin - Win
Last updated 02.12.20 AEST
JacksonVirgo
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby Xpyro125 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:32 pm

JacksonVirgo wrote:The abilities should be a one line 'blurb' of what your role does. Attributes lists details. You have the two swapped.

Also I am a bit iffy with the whole self-confirming thing for a Neutral Benign. I also thinking Amne should be silent but that's me. Otherwise I think I like it, may be too similar to Survivor but you already made that point so Ima leave it here.

I fixed the ability and attributes part, thanks for letting me know. As for confirming when visiting neutral benign, I didn't want to separate Amnesiac from Guardian Angel and Survivor, as it'd make things a bit convoluted, but I do get where you're coming from there. I may change it so that Neutral Benigns are treated like Mafia Support and the likes, but I'd like to get more opinions on that first. It's something I wasn't 100% sure about, so I just left it. Thanks for reading it over and giving me some insight though, I really appreciate that.
I like to give my thoughts on things, especially about ideas for roles. I don't even care what happens with the ideas, it's just fascinating to me.

Just here to have fun. As for any of the roles I make, I don't make them to necessarily be in the game, instead as a "what if".
Xpyro125

Postby Brilliand » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:55 pm

I think the worst part of the self-confirming that this role does is notifying its target that there is a Projector in the game. It's fine that if an Investigator and Projector mutually visit each other, the Investigator knows for sure that they visited a Projecter, but other than that the Projector's visits shouldn't produce any message.

I also don't like arbitrary lists of "do X if you visit Y role". To make it less arbitrary, the effect of its action should be described in a simple phrase, such as: "use your target's own ability on themselves". (Followed by a list of clarifications, yes, but the principle behind the results should be a simple phrase.)
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Xpyro125 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:18 pm

Brilliand wrote:I think the worst part of the self-confirming that this role does is notifying its target that there is a Projector in the game. It's fine that if an Investigator and Projector mutually visit each other, the Investigator knows for sure that they visited a Projecter, but other than that the Projector's visits shouldn't produce any message.

I also don't like arbitrary lists of "do X if you visit Y role". To make it less arbitrary, the effect of its action should be described in a simple phrase, such as: "use your target's own ability on themselves". (Followed by a list of clarifications, yes, but the principle behind the results should be a simple phrase.)

I get why you feel that way, such lists typically make things more complicated than they should be in ToS, but that's why I didn't use the target's ability. I originally intended to do that, but at that point, it'd be more like a Neutral Chaos than a Neutral Benign, and it'd be a completely different role altogether.

If I think of better ideas, I'll modify what visits do, as I also don't quite like that it confirms a Projector's existence for everyone. At the very least, I'm thinking of modifying how it works with Protective roles. I appreciate your feedback though, and I'll keep it in mind when it comes to making changes.

Xpyro125

Postby JacksonVirgo » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:15 am

It is a tad convoluted, maybe a bit too much. Maybe change it a small bit so it is less of a 'do x if you do y' role.
Pronouns - They/Them

On-site FM Record: 11-0-11
Spoiler: Latest Town Game: VFM75 - Citizen - Win
Latest Scum Game: SFM79 - Coroner - Win
Latest Neutral Game: SFM72 - Failed Assassin - Win
Last updated 02.12.20 AEST
JacksonVirgo
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby Xpyro125 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:41 am

JacksonVirgo wrote:It is a tad convoluted, maybe a bit too much. Maybe change it a small bit so it is less of a 'do x if you do y' role.

I changed it so that Town Protective and Town Investigative fit into the first and second category respectively, reducing the amount of categories overall and making it so that having a mutual visit between a Projector and Town Protective/Investigative only reveals that there is a Projector. I feel like reducing the options further might be a bit overkill, and that it might take away from the identity of the role as well.

I realized now that if you're in the first category, and you're told that there is a Projector, it's likely who you visited- though this is not only unlikely, but it is at the mercy of the Transporter, Hypnotist, Witch/Coven Leader, etc., so it's not too powerful.

Xpyro125

Return to Role Ideas