Spark Generator (Town Killing / Hot Potato)

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Spark Generator (Town Killing / Hot Potato)

Postby Brilliand » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:18 am

Trying out JacksonVirgo's role idea formatter.

Also, I don't think anyone has made a Town-sided hot potato generator yet! People keep trying to make this an evil role, but the idea is so counterproductive for evils that I think the Town might get more use out of it. I mean, it's almost a self-confirming Tracker...

(Okay, confirmability sucks and I was careless with the theme, but it amuses me to think of how this silly thing can actually help the town!)

Role Name: Spark Generator

Role Alignment: Town Killing

Special Attributes: Attack: Unstoppable
Defense: None

Abilities: Release a hot potato into the town, to kill whoever it lands on.

Attributes:
  • The player with the hot potato must visit at night to pass the hot potato on to another player.
  • If the Jailor has the hot potato, he will pass the hot potato on to the jailed player.
  • If the player with the hot potato does not visit, or visits a player who dies that night, then the hot potato will deal an Unstoppable attack to the player who failed to pass it on.
  • You can't release another hot potato until your previous hot potato has exploded.
Goal: Lynch every criminal and evildoer.

Additional Info: Each player will be notified when they receive the hot potato, and again the following night (to remind them that they must pass it on or die).
A Transporter with the hot potato passes it on to his first (left button) target.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Re: Spark Generator (Town Killing / Hot Potato)

Postby JacksonVirgo » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:38 am

Actually this seems like a really fun role to play, and as a side benefit it could also act to gather information to who passed the 'potato' to who. Such as if a Mafia passes it to a confirmed town, could gather some information. It's also a really unique twist on a TK role.

Also, thanks for trying my role formatter :D it's honestly appreciated. Can I ask how it was using it? Anything that could be tweaked?
Pronouns - They/Them

On-site FM Record: 11-0-11
Spoiler: Latest Town Game: VFM75 - Citizen - Win
Latest Scum Game: SFM79 - Coroner - Win
Latest Neutral Game: SFM72 - Failed Assassin - Win
Last updated 02.12.20 AEST
JacksonVirgo
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby Soulshade55r » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:42 am

Sounds more like a Neutral Chaos role then Tk...
Favourite Roles (To play)
Spoiler: Town: Jailor
Mafia: Consort
NE: Witch
NB: Guardian Angel
Coven: Necromancer
NC: Pirate
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby JacksonVirgo » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:47 am

Questions though:
- What happens if a non-visiting role gets the 'potato', does it just kill them?
- What happens if the only killing role of a faction gets it? Or the Mafioso when the GF/Mafioso is in game? Do they just die, either to not visiting or giving it to a dead player? Or is that the point of being a TK? If so, that's a tad powerful and would have people claim Veteran to avoid getting it passed to them.
Pronouns - They/Them

JacksonVirgo
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby Brilliand » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:54 am

JacksonVirgo wrote:Also, thanks for trying my role formatter :D it's honestly appreciated. Can I ask how it was using it? Anything that could be tweaked?

It was really fun filling in the boxes to make up a role on the fly. I particularly liked the automatic coloring of the alignment text.

I missed having a "Notifications" section to list notification messages in, and having the disabled "Goal" box say "Survive to watch Town lose the game" while I was filling in a Town role was a little weird (ideally that should show the goal of whatever faction is selected).

Oh, the spacing of the "Special Attributes" and "Additional Info" section looks a little wrong to me... it would probably be better to put a line break after those headings. And it would probably be better to put some line breaks in the list BBcode too, for the convenience of anyone editing their post later (though this doesn't affect how the output looks to others).
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby JacksonVirgo » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:02 am

Brilliand wrote:
JacksonVirgo wrote:Also, thanks for trying my role formatter :D it's honestly appreciated. Can I ask how it was using it? Anything that could be tweaked?

It was really fun filling in the boxes to make up a role on the fly. I particularly liked the automatic coloring of the alignment text.

I missed having a "Notifications" section to list notification messages in, and having the disabled "Goal" box say "Survive to watch Town lose the game" while I was filling in a Town role was a little weird (ideally that should show the goal of whatever faction is selected).

Oh, the spacing of the "Special Attributes" and "Additional Info" section looks a little wrong to me... it would probably be better to put a line break after those headings. And it would probably be better to put some line breaks in the list BBcode too, for the convenience of anyone editing their post later (though this doesn't affect how the output looks to others).

Thanks for the feedback :)
I will add the Notifications section and fix the Goal section. Putting linebreaks in the BBCode itself was something that never crossed my mind, will definitely change that. And looking back at the Additional Information and Special Attributes I definitely see that it looks a little wrong lol, can't seem to unsee that now.
Pronouns - They/Them

JacksonVirgo
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby Brilliand » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:06 am

JacksonVirgo wrote:Questions though:
- What happens if a non-visiting role gets the 'potato', does it just kill them?
- What happens if the only killing role of a faction gets it? Or the Mafioso when the GF/Mafioso is in game? Do they just die, either to not visiting or giving it to a dead player? Or is that the point of being a TK? If so, that's a tad powerful and would have people claim Veteran to avoid getting it passed to them.

Yep, non-visiting roles and killing-only roles that get it are basically doomed (unless they can manage to hit someone being healed by a Doctor that night, in the case of a killing role). I figured the role should tend to kill evils more than it kills town, but perhaps that isn't needed - the tracker capabilities alone will ensure that any evil that passes the Hot Potato to their kill is quickly outed.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby JacksonVirgo » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:42 pm

Actually now that I think about it, if the Mafia find the NK and keep them alive. They can just attack them once given the hot potato and hand it to kill the NK.
Pronouns - They/Them

JacksonVirgo
Sheriff
Sheriff

Return to Role Ideas