Sleuth (Town Investigative)

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Should this role be added?

Yes, it is balanced.
100%
No. (Please explain why!)
No votes

Total votes : 8

Re: Sleuth (Town Investigative)

Postby Brilliand » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:44 pm

IMO every new town role added should be on average equally as good as rolling some other town role in the same slot. It isn't important how many different town roles are possible, what's important is that no particular town role makes the game a "lucky game" or an "unlucky game" by being rolled in a random slot (instead of whatever other roles that slot could have rolled).

As a TI, this role is competing with Sheriff, Investigator, Spy and Lookout. How does this role compare in usefulness with those roles?
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby JacksonVirgo » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:12 pm

ImposterK wrote:It feels like we're going in circles with what you're saying... Adding more Town roles helps evildoers by giving them more to claim. You're saying it hurts the Mafia by adding more Town roles. Can you explain this?

Regarding you stating that more Town roles give more roles to claim. Indeed, they would give more roles to claim however having more claims would not really help Mafia's win rate get any higher. This role could even possible limit it even further. In addition, more Town roles just means more threats to the Mafia and when roles get confirmed as easily as they do now, claim space narrows down FAST, regardless of how many Town roles are in game.

Regarding this role specifically, John Proctor is the Mafioso and claims a role that can visit (for this example we can say Sheriff, but any visiting role works). They claim throughout any portion of the game and if the Sleuth checks one of their visits which haven't visited John too throughout the game, they will see that it is completely fabricated which would restrict evils claim space to those they could/can actually visit.

Am I making any sense?
Pronouns - They/Them

On-site FM Record: 11-0-11
Spoiler: Latest Town Game: VFM75 - Citizen - Win
Latest Scum Game: SFM79 - Coroner - Win
Latest Neutral Game: SFM72 - Failed Assassin - Win
Last updated 02.12.20 AEST
JacksonVirgo
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby Brilliand » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:25 pm

JacksonVirgo wrote:Regarding this role specifically, John Proctor is the Mafioso and claims a role that can visit (for this example we can say Sheriff, but any visiting role works). They claim throughout any portion of the game and if the Sleuth checks one of their visits which haven't visited John too throughout the game, they will see that it is completely fabricated which would restrict evils claim space to those they could/can actually visit.

Yeah, but is that worse than being investigated by a Sheriff or Investigator? I don't think it is. The only Mafia role that can hide from a Sheriff that decides to check him is the Godfather (and that doesn't depend on your claim at all), whereas the Investigator in theory limits you to only the specific claims that are in your invest results (but in practice most skilled players will cheerfully claim outside their invest results, because the chances of being visited by an Investigator are so low).

Let's say the whole Mafia ignores the potential of a Sleuth existing and claims just like they're doing now. What are the odds that the Sleuth will pick the right person to check, and also manage to pick a second target that hasn't visited the person he's checking, all without tipping the Mafia off to what's going on (so they can deliver the Mafia kill to the sleuth or to the second target)?
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby JacksonVirgo » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:47 pm

I do see where you are coming from and I agree somewhat, however I still am slightly biased on my own opinion on this (as what most people do) so I think this should end here yeah?
Pronouns - They/Them

On-site FM Record: 11-0-11
Spoiler: Latest Town Game: VFM75 - Citizen - Win
Latest Scum Game: SFM79 - Coroner - Win
Latest Neutral Game: SFM72 - Failed Assassin - Win
Last updated 02.12.20 AEST
JacksonVirgo
Sheriff
Sheriff

Previous

Return to Role Ideas