The Possessed (Neutral Evil) Role Idea

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

The Possessed (Neutral Evil) Role Idea

Postby musi99 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:15 pm

Neutral Evil. This is a person possessed and controlled by dead spirits. They wake up at night if there are at least 3 (?) dead in the graveyard, and they let the dead players vote a living player for the Possessed to attack at night. They can't vote anyone. The vote of a non-Townie role counts as 2 votes. If there are equal votes, no one dies. The attack of the Possessed is unstoppable and gets through night immunity. If they attack a Veteran, they both die; if they attack a player guarded by the Bodyguard, three of them die; if they attack a player healed by the Doctor, the target dies etc. If the Possessed dies, he loses. To win, he must survive until the end of the game alongside any role or faction that wins with Jester/Executioner alive(?). Or he needs to kill all 3 targets voted by the majority of a specific alignment, like, if he only killed 2 targets voted by dead Townies and 1 voted by dead Mafia, he can't win. So he also has to be careful whom he sends to the graveyard in day! A very intriguing challenge if you ask me! Appears innocent to Sheriff.

All factions will want to take advantage of the Possessed when they are the majority in the graveyard, but also another team will want to lynch them to make sure that they won't be used by the rival faction. The Possessed has to have a political balance of which roles or factions it supports in order to avoid getting lynched, and he needs to join smart lynches at day, because at night he is completely under the command of the dead majority who might lead them to their ruin.
Last edited by musi99 on Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
HACKED BY GRENZE
musi99
Jester
Jester

Re: The Possessed (Neutral Evil) Role Idea

Postby ImposterK » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:31 pm

This role would probably hurt evildoers more than it will help. Since the majority of the people in the graveyard are going to be Town, they will vote for someone who they think is evil and they will be killed. Also, in my opinion, all Neutral Evil roles should have the goal of "Survive to see the town lose." and this does not.
ImposterK
Civilian
Civilian

Postby JacksonVirgo » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:54 pm

musi99 wrote:Neutral Evil. This is a person possessed and controlled by dead spirits. They wake up at night if there are at least 3 dead in the graveyard, and they let the dead players vote a living Townie for the Possessed to attack at night. They can't vote anyone. The vote of a non-Townie role counts as 2 votes. If there are equal votes, no one dies. The attack of the Possessed is unstoppable and gets through night immunity. If they attack a Veteran, they both die; if they attack a player guarded by the Bodyguard, three of them die; if they attack a player healed by the Doctor, the target dies etc. If the Possessed dies, he loses. To win, he must survive until the end of the game alongside any role or faction that wins with Jester/Executioner alive. He's just supposed to be alive when the game ends. He appears innocent to Sheriff.

All factions will want to take advantage of the Possessed when they are the majority in the graveyard, but also another team will want to lynch them so that they won't be used against that faction by the rival faction. The Possessed has to have a political balance of which roles or factions it supports in order to avoid getting lynched, and he needs to join smart lynches at day, because at night he is completely under the command of the dead majority who might lead them to their ruin.

Neutral Evils are an alignment against the Town. Witch can only win if Town loses, Jester wastes a Lynch and has an unstoppable attack caused by Town misplay, Executioner tries to lynch a Town. If this role as it is would be any faction, It'd be Neutral Benign but I hate to call it that because it kills. This role needs to side with evils and never town. Have this role be able to communicate with dead evils such as Mafia/Coven/Vampires to coordinate attacks properly to avoid killing those you win with. Dead should never have direct control over any portion of the 'alive' game apart from the Medium's seance, instead just have this role listen and plan with deads to help them win. It also makes dead Mafia/Coven leave less because they can still help win the game.
Pronouns - They/Them

On-site FM Record: 11-0-11
Spoiler: Latest Town Game: VFM75 - Citizen - Win
Latest Scum Game: SFM79 - Coroner - Win
Latest Neutral Game: SFM72 - Failed Assassin - Win
Last updated 02.12.20 AEST
JacksonVirgo
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby musi99 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:45 am

Of couse, a lot of details would need to be worked out etc. but I don't think this idea is as chaotic and unplayable as it sounds. The dead having a chance to do their own voting seems like such a great idea to me, however it be brought into life. And I disagree with the idea that it would hurt Evil roles. First of all, Town is often not very rational with its lynching/killing decisions, even in Ranked. And let's say Mafia starts losing early in the game and it is not yet known by the Town who the Possessed is: The dead Mafia can take advantage of that and have a chance to turn the game around at night. In fact, one of the biggest reasons I think there should be a game mode with the dead joining daily affairs is, the losing team should have a chance to turn the game around, as it is often not the case (If Mafia loses 1 or 2 members early on, it mostly likely loses.) Also, why would a Neutral role always have to see the Town lose in order to win? Is this like a law? Neutral isn't Mafia, it's called Neutral for a reason.
HACKED BY GRENZE
musi99
Jester
Jester

Postby musi99 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:53 pm

Take Jester for example - he wins as long as he gets his lynch. He can choose to help the Town and haunt a Mafia member if he wants. He can even make a deal with a rational Town, like "Lynch me and I'll get your enemy." I think it's become some kind of a traditional acceptance that "Jester should always side with Mafia against Town" which I see in almost all games...

Anyway, we can assume that the Possessed shouldn't win with Town but they can win ALONGSIDE Town, like Jester. Say, if he successfully kills targets that are voted up by dead people 3 nights, he wins. Or if he successfully kills the 3 targets of a specific dead alignment who are majority in the graveyard, he wins.
HACKED BY GRENZE
musi99
Jester
Jester

Postby Brilliand » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:28 pm

musi99 wrote:Take Jester for example - he wins as long as he gets his lynch. He can choose to help the Town and haunt a Mafia member if he wants. He can even make a deal with a rational Town, like "Lynch me and I'll get your enemy." I think it's become some kind of a traditional acceptance that "Jester should always side with Mafia against Town" which I see in almost all games...

Pretending that the Jester has to be anti-town is the only thing that keeps the role good for the game. If it became meta to always lynch the jester and tell him who to kill, then the jester would be a straight-up harmful role and need to be removed or reworked.

IMO the penalty for lynching the Jester should be something more harmful to town specifically, rather than something the town can use as a weapon.

musi99 wrote:He can even make a deal with a rational Town, like "Lynch me and I'll get your enemy."

On this point specifically: The jester still can't kill inno voters, so the person the Town is demanding the Jester kill can prevent that by voting inno on the Jester. Hence the "I'll get your enemy" promise can't always be fulfilled.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby musi99 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:33 am

Brilliand wrote:
musi99 wrote:Take Jester for example - he wins as long as he gets his lynch. He can choose to help the Town and haunt a Mafia member if he wants. He can even make a deal with a rational Town, like "Lynch me and I'll get your enemy." I think it's become some kind of a traditional acceptance that "Jester should always side with Mafia against Town" which I see in almost all games...

Pretending that the Jester has to be anti-town is the only thing that keeps the role good for the game. If it became meta to always lynch the jester and tell him who to kill, then the jester would be a straight-up harmful role and need to be removed or reworked.

IMO the penalty for lynching the Jester should be something more harmful to town specifically, rather than something the town can use as a weapon.

musi99 wrote:He can even make a deal with a rational Town, like "Lynch me and I'll get your enemy."

On this point specifically: The jester still can't kill inno voters, so the person the Town is demanding the Jester kill can prevent that by voting inno on the Jester. Hence the "I'll get your enemy" promise can't always be fulfilled.

I agree, it's a good thing that the Jester role is not something the Town can easily exploit. But still, different playstyles and unpredictable scenarios is what makes this game such a fun challenge in my opinion; so any chance, any different idea to improve the game in that unpredictability aspect is important. I thought that giving at least one chance to the dead players to vote is an idea like that, all the possible scenarios that come with it is what allure to me. But of course it's up to the experts of the game and real tests to make it work in reality. Maybe having the dead involved in daily affairs requires an new mode specifically made for it.
HACKED BY GRENZE
musi99
Jester
Jester

Return to Role Ideas