[Role Change] Retributionist Nerf

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

[Role Change] Retributionist Nerf

Postby ScarfVendetta » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:55 am

I think most of us can agree that especially in Ranked games, Retributionist is pretty dang overpowered.

My idea (if nobody has suggested it before):

Retributionist
Abilities:
- You may revive a dead Town member.
Attributes
- You may only resurrect one person.
- If you die whilst attempting to revive someone, your target will not be resurrected.

Similarly to how the Amnesiac's ability kicks in if it is still alive after all other night actions have finished, the Retributionist would have to survive the night in order to successfully revive their target. This should have a number of effects that will help evil roles to deal with the Town during Retributionist games.

1) It gives the Mafia a chance to neutralise the Retributionist before they resurrect someone. In the current version of the game, when you see a Retributionist claim on the stand and say that they're going to bring someone back tonight, there is virtually nothing the evil roles can do to prevent this from happening unless they have a Consort or a Witch to block them.

2) Of course, with this change, a Retributionist who is about to resurrect someone will now likely be the target of any living Town Protectives, Lookouts, or a Transporter. So, does this really change much for the mafia? This still diverts those protective roles away from other townies, which means that whilst a Retributionist is resurrecting someone, the Mafia may have the opportunity to kill someone else that normally has protection. This is still risky, as if there are numerous confirmed protective roles, the Town may co-ordinate so that other roles such as the Jailor are also protected. But hey, it gives the Mafia some more options.

3) Retributionists will now be more likely to resurrect very early on in the game. This happens pretty frequently as it is as Retributionists fear dying before they can use their ability, but it's definitely noticeable that when a Retributionist manages to fly under the radar fairly late into the game, and then uses their revive, it becomes nearly impossible for evil roles to win. Being able to confirm 2 townies in a single night is much more powerful during the lategame (provided that town still has majority) as there will be far fewer unconfirmed players to hang. With this change, almost all Retributionists will resurrect very early on, as they don't want to attempt to resurrect after the protective roles have been killed off.

Let me know what you guys think of this idea!

#EvilsFightBack :starwars:
Just some Sheriff who didn't claim until Day 5, and has no leads whatsoever

No need to be alarmed...
ScarfVendetta
Summer 2020 Winner
Summer 2020 Winner

Re: [Role Change] Retributionist Nerf

Postby DragonClaw66 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:22 am

Until a more suitable nerf/rework is found, I would totally be okay with this.
DragonClaw66
Summer 2019 Winner
Summer 2019 Winner

Re: [Role Change] Retributionist Nerf

Postby Brilliand » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:02 am

Looks like too small of a nerf to me.

DragonClaw66 wrote:Until a more suitable nerf/rework is found, I would totally be okay with this.

While I agree that this is better than nothing, I think I've seen better ideas in this thread: Retri re-work options
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Return to Role Ideas