Prosecutor (MD)

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Prosecutor (MD)

Postby DestructionII » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:55 pm

Prosecutor

A former public official whose only intention is to utilize his jurisdiction in an attempt to distort the town.

Alignment: Mafia (Deception)

Attack: None
Defense: None

Abilities: During the night, decide to press a charge against someone.

Attributes:
Spoiler: -Your target will NOT be notified that they were charged against.
-If the person you choose to charge gets voted up on trial the next day, they will automatically be declared as guilty and can only say last words.
-You can only use your ability up to three times.
-You can not press a charge against a revealed Mayor.
-If you choose to press a charge against a Jester and they get voted up, your charge will be nullified and refunded. (Considering your Mafia members may get haunted.)
-Once your target gets lynched, the day is over. If your target is not voted up, you will instead frame them the next night.

Example Scenario:
Spoiler: Bob= Prosecutor
Lily= Sheriff
Ulysses= Mayor

Night 1:
-Bob decides to press a charge against Lily.

Day 2:
Ulysses: Let's VFR today. Lily you're up.
Everyone votes Lily up on trial.
Lilly automatically gets lynched since she was charged against.

Investigative Results:
Spoiler: Investigator: Your target is a Sheriff, Executioner, Werewolf, Poisoner, or Prosecutor.
Consigliere: Your target is a corrupt politician. They must be a Prosecutor.
Witch/CL: You see your target filing a corrupt case against someone. They must be a Prosecutor!
Sheriff: Your target is suspicious!

Goal: Kill all those who oppose the Mafia.

Achievements:

Role-Independent Achievements:
Fraudster: Win 1 game as a Prosecutor.
Artifice: Win 5 games as a Prosecutor.
Corrupt Politician: Win 10 games as a Prosecutor.
Jury Madness: Win 25 games as a Prosecutor.

Role Dependent Achievements:
Anticipation: Press a charge against a Jester and still have them get lynched.
Master Swindler: Successfully press a charge against all three people and see them get lynched the next day.
Swift Execution: The person you choose to press a charge against must get lynched on the first trial the next day.

Notifications:
Spoiler: You have decided to press a charge against ____ tonight.
Your case against the person has been negated. You instead decided to frame them tonight.
____ was charged against! They have automatically been lynched.

Pros:
-Can press a charge against people you know who will get lynched the next day.
-Can finally revoke the "VFR" technique often used in games.
-The person charged against will not be able to persuade the town that they are not a scum.
-Ends the day phase faster if used wisely, withdrawing the leads that day temporarily.
-Frames your target the next night if you haven't had the chance to lynch them.

Cons:
-If you choose to press a charge against someone, and you convince the entire town to vote for your target, the town will just think you are a Prosecutor.
-Limited uses.
-Requires the ability to predict future events.
-Vulnerable to being found by Town Investigatives, as they know that a Prosecutor exists in the game.
Game Username: xtallllll
Forum Username: DestructionII

Role proposals: Vector, Prosecutor, Pythoness
DestructionII
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Re: Prosecutor (MD)

Postby RatKid » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:14 am

I really love this role idea!

SUPPORT
RatKid

Postby Brilliand » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:20 pm

Easy to catch out, due to how obvious the ability is.

The VFR meta can easily work around it (just give your role before you're voted up, not after).

Voting people to the stand is the Town's primary power (and the main 'social' part of the game), so the Mafia shouldn't get any way to mechanically control it. Also, this role canonizes one of the fallacies common in the Classic gamemode (the idea that voting someone to the stand is lynching them).

Overall, I think this role takes the game in a bad direction.

/nosupport
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby DestructionII » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:34 pm

Brilliand wrote:Easy to catch out, due to how obvious the ability is.

The VFR meta can easily work around it (just give your role before you're voted up, not after).

Voting people to the stand is the Town's primary power (and the main 'social' part of the game), so the Mafia shouldn't get any way to mechanically control it. Also, this role canonizes one of the fallacies common in the Classic gamemode (the idea that voting someone to the stand is lynching them).

Overall, I think this role takes the game in a bad direction.

/nosupport

But the town already has the highest winrate of all factions, and the Mafia team only consists of 4 members or less (depending on the gamemode). Plus, this role only frauds upon a single target, so it does not technically control the entire trial. Regarding the VFR meta you mentioned, townies that use the VFR technique often ask for roles before the voting phase (like you mentioned) and people give their role before the trial, then they tend to put another person up on trial to increase what roles they know so far. This can help eliminate that, and it also gets a quick lynch for the Mafia while ending the day faster if your target gets voted up on the first trial, withdrawing the other leads that day.
Game Username: xtallllll
Forum Username: DestructionII

Role proposals: Vector, Prosecutor, Pythoness
DestructionII
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby Radiation13 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:02 pm

To brilland, shut up. You do nothing but shoot down other ideas and support your own. There is a reason yours aren't in the game.
Radiation13

Postby RatKid » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:36 am

Radiation13 wrote:To brilland, shut up. You do nothing but shoot down other ideas and support your own. There is a reason yours aren't in the game.

Well if he doesn't like em he doesn't like em. At least he gave criticism.

I think this role does well at making the town think twice about vfr, but it can also be a very easy role to play around.
In addition to the instant guilty, it might need an extra perk like requiring one less vote to vote them up.

Or instead of making an instant guilty, the prosecutor can click the sun and make his vote count for 2 or 3 votes. And limit that to 2 uses (Might be too strong.)
RatKid

Postby Brilliand » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:51 pm

The Jester is a very good anti-VFR role. The problem with Jester is that the penalty it delivers when lynched isn't necessarily anti-town, so advanced towns will simply give the Jester his win without thinking twice.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby DirtDawg1 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:10 pm

I really like this role idea
DirtDawg1

Postby Scrutinized1 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:21 pm

This is so cool!!
Scrutinized1
Executioner
Executioner

Postby PleaseReadSiege » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:38 am

"If your target is not voted up, you will instead frame them the next night."

Why? Seems pointless. The role seems good without this. Leave the framing to the framer.

"Witch/CL: You see your target filing a corrupt case against someone. They must be a Prosecutor!"

Why a different message for witch/CL compared to consig? Don't they always usually have the same message? Just give witch/CL the consig message you proposed IMO.

Not sure how you feel about the "do your role on yourself because of trans/witch/cl" achievements, but one scenario that might warrant an achievement would be charging yourself.

That all being said, I like it!
PleaseReadSiege
Investigator
Investigator

Postby katagma » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:41 pm

I think this role would be cool with the added ability to make someone automatically be voted down as innocent, something that can be used on mafia members that might get voted up.
I play as Daisy! Feel free to say hi Other names I use are Animal Crossing, Sick Puppies, Check Yes Juliet, Bjela Rada, and Eternal

My favourite roles: Doctor, Consigliere, Pestilence, and Lookout
Least favourite roles: Sheriff, Disguiser, Framer, Forger, Arsonist, and Survivor
katagma
Jester
Jester

Postby MacReturned » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:45 pm

Finally we could have the final solution to the sickening VFR.
Great idea over all!

/MEGASUPPORT
Spoiler:
YOU CALL THIS RESISTING ARREST? WE CALL THIS A DIFFICULTY TWEAK.

My role ideas:
Enchantress
MacReturned
Jester
Jester

Postby cob709 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:56 pm

OoOo, This role seems interesting!
A Mafia role that will immediately lynch someone if they are put on trial, very interesting, I like it!
This role should be classified as Mafia Support instead, also remove the framing target part, it seems unnecessary.

Otherwise, I think this is a good role.
/support
I SEE ALL
cob709
Mayor
Mayor

Postby Brilliand » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:09 pm

MacReturned wrote:Finally we could have the final solution to the sickening VFR.

Like I said before, this wouldn't do much of anything against VFR. Nowhere close to the "final solution".
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby FirstToGetThisName » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:30 pm

You're right that town is likely to work around this by just demanding roles before rather than after voting. But...
it is my opinion that mafia only stands a miniscule chance against town if they actually played properly. The problem is that town has things too easy that they've learnt they can get away with more lax gameplay. Hence they don't put all their focus into the game.TLDR: Town is stupid, and it's basically the only reason scum wins.
Not performing VFRs does indeed circumvent this, but...
No trials -> Less time.
Less time -> Less thinking + discussion -> More stupidity.
FirstToGetThisName

Postby Brilliand » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:49 pm

With this rule in place, "claim before you get voted up" will become part of the meta. Claiming before you get voted up is already a good strategy (that most people don't do), so imo this will have the effect of making Townies act smarter.

No trials -> less time is true, but on the flip side, claims coming faster -> less time needed. (And there will usually be a trial anyway, in which someone who didn't quite claim right gets voted up and guiltied unconditionally because "if they aren't evil the Prosecutor will just guilty them anyway").
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby OrangeUMadBro » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:55 am

I like this concept, especially since it is a role related to the legal industry! Also, it puts people in a position to be weary of VFR practices.

However, I think it is a bit OP in its current state, but I have some constructive criticism, if taken, could keep the Prosecutor balanced yet still a Mafia powerhouse in the right hands! :twisted: Also, I put in some suggestions on renaming or rewording some things that I think would drive home the lawyer aesthetic, but I digress. Those are more ideas rather than criticisms.

1) Role Summary. I think your summary could be a bit more concise and to the point. I would change it to something like this: "A bought-off district attorney who always gets a guilty verdict."

2) Alignment. On technicality, the Prosecutor would be Mafia Support, not Deception, because it does not conceal or manipulate Town information. It falls more into the et cetera category for Mafia, hence Support.

3) Charge Mechanics. A charge should act like everyone voted guilty, especially in regards to the Jester, meaning the Jester could haunt anyone still living. On that note, the Jester charge refund and subsequent immunity should be scrapped. The odds of charging a Jester and getting them on the chopping block are slim enough to be an achievement, so I think its fair game. Additionally, Mafia could use the Prosecutor's ability as leverage to make a deal with a Jester. Next, removing a revealed Mayor's immunity would be nice since rationally, the only time the Prosecutor would even think about trying to charge a Mayor is when they feel positive that Mafia/evils will win. The only person who could be immune is a Guardian Angel's target since a Guardian Angel prevents their target from being voted up. This should not be refunded. Lastly, I think the frame mechanic should be removed. That's the Framer's job.

4) Consigliere Results Prosecutors are less of politicians (except DA's, AG's and the like, but even then, it's not the point since they aren't lawmakers), so I was thinking something like this: "Your target abuses the justice system. They must be a Prosecutor!" Also, I find it hilarious, so... yeah, there's that.

5) Role-Independent Achievement Names:
Tipping the Scales: Win 1 game as a Prosecutor.
County Attorney: Win 5 games as a Prosecutor.
District Attorney: Win 10 games as a Prosecutor.
Attorney General: Win 25 games as a Prosecutor.

6) Role-Dependent Achievements:
Foolish Fools*: Get a charged Jester lynched.
Overruled!: Have your target be protected by a Guardian Angel.
Turnabout for the Worse*: Get automatically lynched due to being charged.
King of Prosecutors*: Successfully charge three targets in one game.
Injustice is Served: Successfully charge an Executioner's target.

(* I am a huge Ace Attorney fan, so it biases my name choices, but I hope you like the concepts at least!)

Again, I think this role has potential. I can tell you put in some time to think this out, and it shows. Good job!
Roles Designed
Defense Attorney
OrangeUMadBro

Return to Role Ideas