Devil (Neutral Chaos)

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Devil (Neutral Chaos)

Postby alex1234321 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:03 am

Devil - Neutral Chaos

Summary: You are a powerful demon determined to destroy Salem.

Attack: Powerful
Defense: Basic
Unique: Yes
Priority: 5

Abilities:
- Make an offer to one player each day.
- Directly attack a player who you have previously made an offer to.

Attributes:
- You will share a chat with your target the next night.
- Your target can choose to sell their soul to you.
- If your target refuses to sell their soul, you will deal a powerful attack against them.
- You will immediately win the game if you collect 3 souls. (everyone else besides non-sided neutrals will lose)
- If you are roleblocked, you will still attack your target if they refuse but will not collect their soul if they accept.

Investigative Results:
Sheriff: Your target is suspicious!
Investigator: Medium/Janitor/Retributionist/Devil
Consigliere: Your target collects souls of the living. They must be a Devil.

Goal: Kill all who do not worship you.

Victory Conditions: Win with Devils, Survivors, and Witches.

Notifications:
To the Devil:
You have collected [x] souls so far.
You have chosen to make an offer to [player].
You have instead chosen to make an offer to [player].
Your target has chosen to accept your offer.
Your target has chosen to refuse your offer.
Your target accepted your offer! You collected their soul.
Your target refused your offer! You attacked them instead.
You have chosen to exterminate [player].
Your collected 3 souls! You win!

To other players:
A Devil is making an offer to you!
You have chosen to accept the Devil's offer.
You have chosen to refuse the Devil's offer.
You accepted the Devil's offer and forfeited your soul!
You refused the Devil's offer and were attacked instead!
You were exterminated by the Devil!
The Devil has collected 3 souls. The game has ended!
The Devil is making an offer to [x]. (shown to members of the same informed minority as [x])

Mechanics:
- You visit your target.
- Jailor has priority over Devil, but someone can be both pirated and deviled.
- Players with night chats will speak to both the Devil and their regular chat simultaneously.

Achievements:
Mephisto - One win as a Devil. (20 MP)
Beelzebub - 5 wins as a Devil. (20 MP)
Lucifer - 10 wins as a Devil. (40 MP)
Satan - 25 wins as a Devil. (100 MP)
Mass Hysteria - Kill someone for refusing your offer and exterminate someone in the same game. (20MP)
Horned Angel - Win with a Guardian Angel. (40MP)
Hell on Earth - Exterminate 3 or more players in one night. (100 MP)

Additional Information:
None

Lore:
Salem was cursed. With the Mafia, Coven, and countless other villains on the loose, the Devil couldn't help but laugh at the fate of the town. He had managed to pit the various factions against one another and even infiltrated the dreams of an unlucky soul who had voted to kill an innocent man the previous night. But just as everything was falling in place, the Town began to fight back. Soon the Godfather found himself in the gallows, and the Coven Leader was found dead and headless the next morning. Just like that, the Devil's master plan seemed to be falling apart. He know that if he stayed back, the Town would piece together the many other murders that had plagued Salem in the previous days. The Devil came out of his hiding spot in the darkest corner of hell, ready to manipulate the mortals of this town. He began to collect their souls, each with their own memories of life before crime took over Salem, growing stronger with each one. And one day, at the height of his power, he purged those who had so generously given him the energy to assume an earthly form. He was the king of Salem, and no one can stop him now.
#SaveTheTG

Tired of trying to play discord Mafia games and not getting enough people? Join Town of Morons! We now have our own bot!

Credit to PurpleSidewalk1
alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Re: Devil (Neutral Evil)

Postby Ezradekezra » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:33 am

Neat concept but

alex1234321 wrote:Goal:
*Survive* to see the Town lose the game.

It could also do with a 1-shot shield imo
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby alex1234321 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:50 am

Ezradekezra wrote:Neat concept but

alex1234321 wrote:Additional Information:
Scum autovest

I'm giving it Witch wincon to keep it consistent with Witch. I also don't like Witchsigliere but I gave it Consig checks for consistency.
#SaveTheTG

Tired of trying to play discord Mafia games and not getting enough people? Join Town of Morons! We now have our own bot!

alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Ezradekezra » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:59 am

alex1234321 wrote:
Ezradekezra wrote:Neat concept but

alex1234321 wrote:Additional Information:
Scum autovest

I'm giving it Witch wincon to keep it consistent with Witch. I also don't like Witchsigliere but I gave it Consig checks for consistency.

Imagine reading the additional information section, couldn't be me

Witch should also not have to survive to win imo
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby Cavespider17 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:44 am

What investigative results would you give this?
It could work in the Framer/Jester group, or maybe in the Sheriff group?
Cavespider17
Witch
Witch

Postby alex1234321 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:03 pm

This isn't a "change NE wincon" thread or a "get rid of Witchsigliere" thread so let's not make it into one of those. If I were to change it that would probably provoke more conversation about those concepts so I'm not going to do that. Anyone have any opinions on the actual role?

Cavespider17 wrote:What investigative results would you give this?
It could work in the Framer/Jester group, or maybe in the Sheriff group?

Framer/Vamp/Jester probably shouldn't have other evil roles that would automatically be outed if Framer isn't in the game. The Sheriff group could work though.

What do you think about putting it in the Med/Jan/Ret group? That result can use an additional evil role and the lore works nicely, not that it matters.
#SaveTheTG

alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Brilliand » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:20 pm

When your role gives your opponent a choice, you've gotta assume they will always make the choice that makes your role weaker. That means that this role can't be any more powerful than a Consort (because the target always has the option to choose "roleblocked"), and in fact is probably weaker than a Consort (because they might "sell their soul" on a critical night where their action will decide the game). For an NE role, that pretty bad.

The situation where the Devil targets an evil role isn't much better, since that evil role then has the choice to either roleblock himself and leave the Devil in doubt about whether he's an ally, or roleblock the Devil and pollute the Devil's targeting list with a role that the Devil would be better off not controlling.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby alex1234321 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:38 am

Brilliand wrote:When your role gives your opponent a choice, you've gotta assume they will always make the choice that makes your role weaker. That means that this role can't be any more powerful than a Consort (because the target always has the option to choose "roleblocked"), and in fact is probably weaker than a Consort (because they might "sell their soul" on a critical night where their action will decide the game). For an NE role, that pretty bad.

The situation where the Devil targets an evil role isn't much better, since that evil role then has the choice to either roleblock himself and leave the Devil in doubt about whether he's an ally, or roleblock the Devil and pollute the Devil's targeting list with a role that the Devil would be better off not controlling.

Good point. I sort of assumed that it would be similar to Consort in the worst case scenario. I still like the idea of a choice, but both abilities would have to be stronger than Witch and sufficiently different from one another. What do you think about poisoning players who refuse to take the deal? Of course NE killing roles aren't that balanced, but in this case the player can choose not to be killed so they would only take that action if they're confident a Doctor will save them or if they think having their ability in the hands of an evil role would be worse than losing one member of their team. I don't like Poisoner since it relies on a specific TP rolling, but the concept seems alright here. Also I think the roleblock mechanic should be removed to buff the other ability.
#SaveTheTG

alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:04 am

Ezradekezra wrote:Witch should also not have to survive to win imo

this, and should also lose detection immunity
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby alex1234321 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:55 pm

Unfortunately Devil did poorly in the TG poll but I think it has potential. I added a poll to the thread about my proposed poison buff.
#SaveTheTG

alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby alex1234321 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:30 am

I reworked this role to simplify and buff it. Now, it can make an offer to someone during the day. If they refuse to sell their soul, they will be poisoned. If you choose not to make an offer, you may direct all collected souls to another target.
#SaveTheTG

alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby MR60G0LD » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:41 am

I'd say it is a pretty cool role befitting the devil. You give them an offer that they can't refuse as if they refuse then they will get poisoned. A few things I'd change is make the role unique and make it so that if they accept your offer you know exactly what role they have (that way you know who to use it on).

A few potential buff/nerf suggestions if the role is considered too strong or too powerful by others:
Buff: You grant powerful protection on that night to your target if they accepted your offer.
Buff: If a player dies but they sold their soul you can still use their ability from beyond the grave.
Nerf: If they refuse you are unable to perform your night action that night (thus creating more strategy where sometimes it is better to not make an offer as to not risk losing the night action if they refuse)
Nerf: If a player accepts your offer everyone will be notified that Devil has claimed a soul. (Not saying who's soul just instead letting people keep count how many souls they have claimed and that there is a Devil in the game)
Nerf: If a player that you claimed the soul of dies it will be revealed that they had sold their soul to the Devil via a message.

Just some ideas if needed.
MR60G0LD
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Re: Devil (Neutral Killing)

Postby alex1234321 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:25 pm

I made some huge reworks. The role is now an NK instead of NE and the abilities are completely different.
#SaveTheTG

alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Return to Role Ideas