Town Protective - Matchmaker

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Town Protective - Matchmaker

Postby Salocin481 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:02 am

No, this role does not just make people fall in love!

Well... it does... just not like Love in Lovers...

As always, shout outs to WaveAqualei for helping refine this idea, but also shout outs to runningwiththepower for providing some ideas! Here are some of their ideas to check out:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=117296 (Poisoner rework, credit to WaveAqualei)
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=117308 (Astrologer, credit to runningwiththepower)

I found another role names Matchmaker from 2018, so I'll link it here. This one is TI though, so besides naming, this doesn't really have much in common
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=93374&p=3022622&hilit=Matchmaker#p3022622 (credit to cupcakeaj2)

Changelog:
Made Coven Exclusive
MM can no longer Matchmake revealed Mayors

Role Name:
Matchmaker (Coven Exclusive)

Alignment:
Town(Protective)

Summary:
You are a hopeless romantic with a pension for matchmaking.

Attack: None
Defense: None
Unique: Yes
Priority: 3

Abilities:
- Chose two players to fall in love for a night

Attributes:
- Players in love will have basic defense
- If both Players in love are attacked, they will lose their defense

Notifications:
Matchmaker:
You have decided to make [Player] fall in love with [Player]!
You have instead decided to make [Player] fall in love with [Player]!
You have decided not to matchmake tonight
One of your targets was attacked!
Both of your targets were attacked!

Attacked Target:
You were attacked but your love prevented you from dying!
You were left heartbroken!

Lover to an Attacked Target:
Your lover was attacked but your love prevented them from dying!
Your lover was attacked, but you could not save them!

Goal:
Lynch every criminal and evildoer

Win Conditions:
You must kill the Mafia
You must kill the Coven
You must kill Serial Killers
You must kill Arsonists
You must kill Werewolves
You must kill Vampires
You must kill Plaguebearers
You must kill Pestilence
You must kill Juggernaut
You win with Town
You win with Survivors
You may spare anyone else

Investigative Results:
Sheriff - You could not find any evidence of wrongdoing. Your target seems innocent!
Investigator - Your target could be Doctor/Matchmaker/Disguiser/Serial Killer/Potion Master
Consigliere - Your target dreams about love. They must be a Matchmaker!

Achievements:
OTP - Win 1 game as Matchmaker
Shipping Grid - Win 5 games as Matchmaker
Valentine's Day - Win 10 games as Matchmaker
Cupid - Win 25 games as Matchmaker
Power of Love! - Save 3 targets from death as Matchmaker
Heartbroken - Have both your targets die in one night
Self-Insert - Matchmake yourself
Enemies to Lovers (Hidden) - Matchmake a Mafia member and a Townie

Mechanics: (A more in-depth explanation of the role, with specific special interactions)
Spoiler: When you make two players fall in love with each other, they both gain Basic Defense. However, if both players are attacked, they lose that defense, and both will be properly attacked. If one of the players is attacked by a Powerful Attack, then that player will die (unless granted defense through another source), and will not kill their lover with them. Players will only be in love for one night.

If both your targets are attacked, but one of them is protected by a different Town(Protective), the basic defense granted by the Matchmaker is still removed. This will prompt the "You were left heartbroken!" message to both targets, and can confirm Matchmakers.

The "Your lover was attacked, but you could not save them!" message will appear when your lover is attacked by Powerful or Unstoppable attack.

You visit both of your targets, and a Tracker will see you visit two targets.

If a CL or Witch controls you, the CL/Witch's second target will become your first target. Your second target cannot be changed.

Due to it being very confusing, this role cannot be played in Lovers Mode.

You may not target yourself.
You may not target a revealed Mayor.

Examples: (Two example to highlight how Matchmaker defense works)
Spoiler: Example 1:

A is a Matchmaker
B is a Mafioso
C is a Vigilante
D is a Medium

A visits C and D. B visits C. Neither C nor D visit.

A receives the following feedback:
One of your targets was attacked!

B receives the following feedback:
You target's defense was too strong

C receives the following feedback:
You were attacked but your love prevented you from dying!

D receives the following feedback:
Your lover was attacked but your love prevented them from dying!

This is how generally speaking, Matchmaker protection works. However, there is also the case where both targets are attacked
Example 2:

A is a Matchmaker
B is a Mafioso
C is a Vigilante
D is a Medium

A visits C and D. B visits C. C visits D. D does not visit.

A receives the following feedback:
Both your targets were attacked!

B receives no feedback.

C receives the following feedback:
You were attacked by the Mafia!
You died!

D receives the following feedback:
You were shot by a Vigilante!
You died!

Lore:
Spoiler: A young woman, urging for the love of another, sits on the porch of her newly acquired house. Nothing like the soft winds, the chirps of the birds, and the potential for new love in the small, homely town of Salem. The rustic homes and the lush forests make it seem like nothing could ever go wrong here. An escape from the city she once called home.

She spends every night dreaming about the pairs in town she thinks would be such cute couples. If only she could bring herself to pair herself up with someone else, though the thought races her lonely heart. Unbeknownst to the hopeless romantic, Cupid fires arrows to the beat of the Matchmaker’s muses.

The Tracker coughs. He lifts his hand off of his stab wound, the crimson liquid dripping off his fingertips. The Vigilante, usually gruff and cold, puts a towel to the gash. A warm smile crosses the gunman's face, as soft tears leave his eyes. The Tracker feels an undeniable connection with him, one that previously didn't exist. The Vigilante does not know much about medicine, nor much about emotion, but tonight, that's all that matters.

The Matchmaker sleeps alone, knowing not of what she does for the Town.
Last edited by Salocin481 on Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salocin481

Re: Town Protective - Matchmaker

Postby WaveAqualei » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:17 am

I honestly LOVE the Vigilante x Tracker ship, it just fits so well.

I see this role going far as it's quite balanced.

/support
WaveAqualei
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby EtherealEnder » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:54 pm

this seems balanced enough... as it stands, i can't really think of anything wrong with it. nice!

/support
My name is Axeras :>

Join the Testing Grounds!
EtherealEnder
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Theflamiest » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:14 pm

I like this role a lot. Balanced but strong. Almost like a better transporter.

/support
Theflamiest
Philanthropist
Philanthropist

Postby alex1234321 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:02 pm

Right now this role is basically a 2-target doctor. Although it would be weaker in All Any or something, it would be OP in a Ranked environment with one basic attack per night. It’s exceedingly unlikely for both targets to be attacked, which would require a TK. I see it only gives basic defense, but you usually do not want to protect someone from a Veteran or Bodyguard attack.

That being said, I could see this role working. First, it should get powerful defense to be consistent with other TPs. As a nerf, I think matches should be permanent. So if one player is attacked, they survive until the person they are paired with is attacked. The only issue I can see is that it would be confirmable when both players die simultaneously, but Doctor usually is confirmable after saving someone.
#SaveTheTG

Tired of trying to play discord Mafia games and not getting enough people? Join Town of Morons! We now have our own bot!

Credit to PurpleSidewalk1
alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Salocin481 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:31 pm

alex1234321 wrote:Right now this role is basically a 2-target doctor. Although it would be weaker in All Any or something, it would be OP in a Ranked environment with one basic attack per night. It’s exceedingly unlikely for both targets to be attacked, which would require a TK. I see it only gives basic defense, but you usually do not want to protect someone from a Veteran or Bodyguard attack.

That being said, I could see this role working. First, it should get powerful defense to be consistent with other TPs. As a nerf, I think matches should be permanent. So if one player is attacked, they survive until the person they are paired with is attacked. The only issue I can see is that it would be confirmable when both players die simultaneously, but Doctor usually is confirmable after saving someone.

I was aware of the Ranked issue! The only way that MM's match breaks due to evil is with Ambusher and Jester's haunts. Without NK, I feel like this is stronger than Doc. However, I honestly think if the NE/NK role list came back, this would be balanced (with maybe some minor tweaks?) since there'd be more killing to break the MM's protections.

As for your nerf... imagine you Match the GF with the Jailor. Now Jailor cannot be killed by mafia. They'd need to sack the GF to kill Jailor.

The main reason this role exists is to give Disguiser claim space when a Tracker tracks them, because I think that a Tracker tracking a Disguiser and instantly outing them shouldn't happen. Even mafioso has claims to get out of a track. However, this means that the role could be coven exclusive, and because Coven kills more often, it might be more balanced there. Maybe that's a solution?

EtherealEnder wrote:this seems balanced enough... as it stands, i can't really think of anything wrong with it. nice!

/support

Theflamiest wrote:I like this role a lot. Balanced but strong. Almost like a better transporter.

/support

WaveAqualei wrote:I honestly LOVE the Vigilante x Tracker ship, it just fits so well.

I see this role going far as it's quite balanced.

/support

Thank you all :)
Last edited by alex1234321 on Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged posts
Salocin481

Postby alex1234321 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:15 pm

Salocin481 wrote:
alex1234321 wrote:Right now this role is basically a 2-target doctor. Although it would be weaker in All Any or something, it would be OP in a Ranked environment with one basic attack per night. It’s exceedingly unlikely for both targets to be attacked, which would require a TK. I see it only gives basic defense, but you usually do not want to protect someone from a Veteran or Bodyguard attack.

I was aware of the Ranked issue! The only way that MM's match breaks due to evil is with Ambusher and Jester's haunts. Without NK, I feel like this is stronger than Doc. However, I honestly think if the NE/NK role list came back, this would be balanced (with maybe some minor tweaks?) since there'd be more killing to break the MM's protections.

As for your nerf... imagine you Match the GF with the Jailor. Now Jailor cannot be killed by mafia. They'd need to sack the GF to kill Jailor.

The main reason this role exists is to give Disguiser claim space when a Tracker tracks them, because I think that a Tracker tracking a Disguiser and instantly outing them shouldn't happen. Even mafioso has claims to get out of a track. However, this means that the role could be coven exclusive, and because Coven kills more often, it might be more balanced there. Maybe that's a solution?

Even in Coven games the role would rarely target two players who die. Assuming 3 kills night 1, the chances of both your targets being attacked are around 3 percent if both you and the killers choose randomly. Also, the role is rewarded if one of the two targets is attacked but the other isn't, which seems unreasonably hard to predict. Normally you're going to pick people who you think will be attacked, and if you do an amazing job of that and both your targets are attacked, they get nothing out of it.

Now that I think about it my proposed rework is quite OP. What if matches are only made permanent if one of those players is attacked that night? So if you match the Jailor with the Godfather, you only get that situation if you choose the Jailor the night they are attacked. It's weaker than Doctor since heals aren't permanent, but it can protect twice as many people and gets to protect them as many times as it wants. If that's still too strong, maybe make all matches go away when the Matchmaker dies.

A role shouldn't be created to fix one specific interaction that doesn't occur in the vast majority of games, especially considering that that interaction won't ever happen outside an inherently balanced mode and a completely dead one.
#SaveTheTG

Tired of trying to play discord Mafia games and not getting enough people? Join Town of Morons! We now have our own bot!

Credit to PurpleSidewalk1
alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Salocin481 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:56 pm

alex1234321 wrote:
Salocin481 wrote:

Even in Coven games the role would rarely target two players who die. Assuming 3 kills night 1, the chances of both your targets being attacked are around 3 percent if both you and the killers choose randomly. Also, the role is rewarded if one of the two targets is attacked but the other isn't, which seems unreasonably hard to predict. Normally you're going to pick people who you think will be attacked, and if you do an amazing job of that and both your targets are attacked, they get nothing out of it.

Now that I think about it my proposed rework is quite OP. What if matches are only made permanent if one of those players is attacked that night? So if you match the Jailor with the Godfather, you only get that situation if you choose the Jailor the night they are attacked. It's weaker than Doctor since heals aren't permanent, but it can protect twice as many people and gets to protect them as many times as it wants. If that's still too strong, maybe make all matches go away when the Matchmaker dies.

A role shouldn't be created to fix one specific interaction that doesn't occur in the vast majority of games, especially considering that that interaction won't ever happen outside an inherently balanced mode and a completely dead one.

The ideal situation is picking someone you think will be attacked, and someone you DON'T think will be attacked.

Also, it's worth mentioning that in Coven, there's Dusa that can just punch through Basic Defense. On top of that, there's a lot more killing potential. As the number of players left dwindles, this becomes easier and easier to hit both MM targets and render MM useless.

I mentioned where the idea for the role came from. It started as 'a town role that visits two people'. I kind of didn't phrase that section well... I just wanted the core of MM visiting every night to stay the same. There were other issues I wanted to address with this role:
lack of SK claimspace in role bucket, TP having only two roles both of which play very similarly (Still partially applicable in Coven), a TP existing that chaining is slightly more tricky.

Those goals kind of aren't as important to me than "Town Protective that visits 2 people every night."

But, yeah, I think MM isn't suited for current Ranked. Bring back NK!
Salocin481

Postby WaveAqualei » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:14 am

Ambusher, Witch, Transporter (?), and Veteran can easily mess up or kill Matchmaker.
WaveAqualei
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Brilliand » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:59 am

WaveAqualei wrote:Ambusher, Witch, Transporter (?), and Veteran can easily mess up or kill Matchmaker.

This role is less vulnerable to Witch than most other roles are, because the witch can't mess with its second target.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby sjbstrawberry » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:37 am

I just love this! Reminds me of transporter but I like it much better than the transporter. I would buy so many scrolls for this, I'm a total hopeless romantic.
sjbstrawberry

Postby Salocin481 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:26 am

sjbstrawberry wrote:I just love this! Reminds me of transporter but I like it much better than the transporter. I would buy so many scrolls for this, I'm a total hopeless romantic.

I'm glad you like it :)
Salocin481

Return to Role Ideas