The illusionist (NE)

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

The illusionist (NE)

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:04 pm

Role Name:
-Illusionist

Role Alignment:
-Neutral (Evil)

Abilities:
-Confuse 2 players each night

Attributes:
-Targeting yourself will force all non-killing confused players to target themselves, killing roles will be silently roleblocked instead
-Players will not know they are confused, or that they targeted themselves
-After targeting yourself once, players are no longer confused
-You will know how many non-town you affected upon self target

Goal:
-Live to see the town lose

Win Conditions:
-Same than witch

Investigative results
-Sheriff: Your target seems innocent
-Investigator: Your target could be a bogyguard, godfather, arsonist (crusader) or illusionist
-Consigliere: Your target uses illusions to confuse people, they must be an Illusionist!

Additional information
-One time scumshield
-Killing roles are all roles that cause direct attacks, along with arso and the holder of the necronomicon
-Immune to roleblock and control
Control immunity doesnt affects this role, so it can force veterans to alert and things like that
2 target roles will have their 2nd target affected
Self target is only 1 target, so it can confuse 1 player and self target the same night
Last edited by syjfwbaobfwl on Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Re: The illusionist (NE)

Postby alex1234321 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:19 pm

This is a very interesting idea, but I agree that it's a bit UP right now. It's basically a Witch-Arsonist that can only make players target themselves. Would it be OP if players don't become unconfused after targeting themselves? Assuming a game lasts six nights, the best strategy to confuse the most people would be to get three players confused and make them self-target three times assuming none of them die. That would lead to 9 self-targets in 6 nights, which seems fair. It might be OP in endgames, but that's balanced by it being weaker early on. Also lynches become way more important than night abilities for Town roles in the endgame.
#SaveTheTG

Tired of trying to play discord Mafia games and not getting enough people? Join Town of Morons! We now have our own bot!

Credit to PurpleSidewalk1
alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Ezradekezra » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:25 pm

Two suggestions:
- Make it so that only Town roles can be confused
- Allow the Illusionist to redirect and confuse someone on the same night

Also, what will the role's color be?
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:09 pm

alex1234321 wrote:This is a very interesting idea, but I agree that it's a bit UP right now. It's basically a Witch-Arsonist that can only make players target themselves. Would it be OP if players don't become unconfused after targeting themselves? Assuming a game lasts six nights, the best strategy to confuse the most people would be to get three players confused and make them self-target three times assuming none of them die. That would lead to 9 self-targets in 6 nights, which seems fair. It might be OP in endgames, but that's balanced by it being weaker early on. Also lynches become way more important than night abilities for Town roles in the endgame.

I made so that only killing roles dont get unconfused because that way it can keep rbing TK like with jailor

And the unconfuse thing is in case you hit mafioso or gf
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:20 pm

Ezradekezra wrote:Two suggestions:
- Make it so that only Town roles can be confused
- Allow the Illusionist to redirect and confuse someone on the same night

Also, what will the role's color be?

I dont like the thijg of making non-townies inmune because of 2 reasons

1: You would suffer no consequences for playing poorly
2: Your ability wouldnt help you in choosing sides if you play something other than ranked

About the confuse and self target, that would mean you can stunlock a player since n1, which isnt good imo
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:30 am

Ok so now I made that you can force a self target twice, I dont like it being permanent because seeing how some people play bmer, witch or consort, players would just start to stunlock the same guy since d2, even if its a super bad strat, it is still pretty common

Would it be OP if I added some sort of frame on confused players?
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby Ezradekezra » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:41 am

Not sure that it needs to frame people

I would make it come up NS to Sheriffs tho
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby alex1234321 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:51 am

Even if the targeting method was similar to an SK, where it targets one person per night, it would be an objectively weaker Witch. And Arsonist (without passive douses) is worse than SK due to targets dying, so this role seems like a weaker version of an objectively weaker Witch. Frames feel overused at this point, but the role needs some massive buffs to be on par with Witch.
#SaveTheTG

Tired of trying to play discord Mafia games and not getting enough people? Join Town of Morons! We now have our own bot!

alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:55 am

alex1234321 wrote:Even if the targeting method was similar to an SK, where it targets one person per night, it would be an objectively weaker Witch. And Arsonist (without passive douses) is worse than SK due to targets dying, so this role seems like a weaker version of an objectively weaker Witch. Frames feel overused at this point, but the role needs some massive buffs to be on par with Witch.

what if when a confused player dies they can confuse 2 players next night to compensate?

also why compare it with SK? this is an NE, and its ability is similar to arso

or maybe make that it can confuse 2 players each night
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby alex1234321 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:05 am

syjfwbaobfwl wrote:
alex1234321 wrote:Even if the targeting method was similar to an SK, where it targets one person per night, it would be an objectively weaker Witch. And Arsonist (without passive douses) is worse than SK due to targets dying, so this role seems like a weaker version of an objectively weaker Witch. Frames feel overused at this point, but the role needs some massive buffs to be on par with Witch.

what if when a confused player dies they can confuse 2 players next night to compensate?

also why compare it with SK? this is an NE, and its ability is similar to arso

or maybe make that it can confuse 2 players each night

I compared it to SK just to show that the current targeting mechanism is weaker than Witch's, which is "target one person every night." I'm not sure if double targeting is necessarily the right way to buff a role, but I don't see what's wrong with that. Targeting one person per night would effectively make it into a Neutral roleblocker, which is sort of boring. I like the current mechanic since it can't just roleblock the Jailor and prevent them from doing anything, but it has to be useful to scum.
#SaveTheTG

alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:48 am

Now it can confuse 2 people per night

Suposing you are super lucky and confuse only townies n1 and n2, and none of them die, then by n4 you can force 8 self targets, but that never happens so it would probably be 5 or 6 self targets

also it could help as a way to bypass the tplo meta
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby superdog551 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:47 pm

I think the problem is that it's really only useful once or twice in a match as you have to confuse a lot of people before you would want to use the ability. Maybe add on the passive ability to confuse anyone who visits you as well as your choices.

How many times can you target yourself? And do town roles permanently stay confused?
joaodasalmas wrote:Abilities: You can reveal yourself as the King Potato, and now you can't be voted.

My Roles:
Charmer
Oracle
Associate

Get in here and count to 200300 before 2030!
In-game my name is Jay
superdog551
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:28 am

superdog551 wrote:I think the problem is that it's really only useful once or twice in a match as you have to confuse a lot of people before you would want to use the ability. Maybe add on the passive ability to confuse anyone who visits you as well as your choices.

How many times can you target yourself? And do town roles permanently stay confused?

TK stay permanently confused

Town roles other than TK stay confused untill you force a self target twice

Non town roles stay confused untill you force a self target once

You can target yourself as many times as you want, and I dont like passive douses, just look at the current arso, its extremly swingy and unbalanced
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:00 am

Ok, I edited a few things and added detection immunity
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Return to Role Ideas