Behind the Masks Hub [Game Over] (Thanks for Playing!)

Looking for some forum fun? This is the place

Re: Behind the Masks Hub

Postby Whatsuppeople » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:47 pm

JazzMusicStops wrote:
Whatsuppeople wrote:It's also been running for a while.

Understatement of the year

Oh. Its been going on longer than on here? Is there another site this was run on? I'd like to do some research and study other players/games before jumping into one myself. The first few games aren't available anymore. I'm currently reading Behind the Masks T4 hosted by Varanus. I'm really interested in the stories that come along with it. Are there hosts that have a compiled timeline for this game or is it random? Sorry if I'm being too nosy. Just interested.
Whatsuppeople

Postby JazzMusicStops » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:24 pm

this is the first site, what I mean is that, in forum terms, 5 years is a pretty long time

Spoiler: I'm probably just going to lurk forever, posting occasionally
But if there ever comes a point where my account speaks its last
Know that it was a pleasure to be here, especially in Forum Games
During my teenage years, this place was my first real community
Thank you all so much for playing silly games with me
I'll never forget you
JazzMusicStops
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Whatsuppeople » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:52 pm

JazzMusicStops wrote:this is the first site, what I mean is that, in forum terms, 5 years is a pretty long time

Ah okay.
I'd love to join a game soon as possible. Multiple of these hosts seemed to have stopped hosting. Is there a possible opening for hosting? I mean after I play a few games first to get a good grasp on it.
Whatsuppeople

Postby PokemonKidRyan » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:28 am

Whatsuppeople wrote:Ah okay.
I'd love to join a game soon as possible. Multiple of these hosts seemed to have stopped hosting. Is there a possible opening for hosting? I mean after I play a few games first to get a good grasp on it.

I don't see why not. After all that's what the requirement is for hosts pretty much.
My personality:
Spoiler: Image

My alts were EdwardMidford and TsuchiyaTenaka. I apologise profusely for being bad and hiding behind them. I ask for forgiveness but know that won't be a simple feat. Please stop bringing up my past, as I'm striving towards a new future. I just sometimes struggle to show that I truly want said change.
PokemonKidRyan
[Forum Mafia XI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XI] Winner

Postby Cenvil2 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:34 am

Whatsuppeople wrote:
JazzMusicStops wrote:

Oh. Its been going on longer than on here? Is there another site this was run on? I'd like to do some research and study other players/games before jumping into one myself. The first few games aren't available anymore. I'm currently reading Behind the Masks T4 hosted by Varanus. I'm really interested in the stories that come along with it. Are there hosts that have a compiled timeline for this game or is it random? Sorry if I'm being too nosy. Just interested.

This the first site.
There were some try on other sites. (But those are almost always filled with players from this place.)
Every game is their own seperate timeline. And the flavour depends on the host mostly.
If you want to host you need have at least 2 completed games and PM the BTM mods with your idea and the OP the game you want to satrt. (I think it is Blackajack and Tech right now)
There is a host queu, but last time I checked those players are not here anymore.
Cenvil2
[Forum Mafia XVII] Winner

Postby DJVoxel » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:08 pm

Cenvil2 wrote:
Whatsuppeople wrote:
JazzMusicStops wrote:

This the first site.
There were some try on other sites. (But those are almost always filled with players from this place.)
Every game is their own seperate timeline. And the flavour depends on the host mostly.
If you want to host you need have at least 2 completed games and PM the BTM mods with your idea and the OP the game you want to satrt. (I think it is Blackajack and Tech right now)
There is a host queu, but last time I checked those players are not here anymore.

Correction: Host queue is currently empty.

I may be putting something together in the next week or two, but it will not be a default vanilla game.
Discord ID: DJVoxel#2226
DJVoxel
Janitor
Janitor

Postby Chemist1422 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:50 pm

small chance I throw together a uPick at some point if the host queue remains empty
mist ~ she/her

i guess this is goodbye?
(still here for danganronpa i guess)

stop sending reports to me i'm not a tos game moderator
Chemist1422
FM Game Moderator
FM Game Moderator

Postby Whatsuppeople » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:05 pm

Chemist1422 wrote:small chance I throw together a uPick at some point if the host queue remains empty

Upick? Didnt the last one by that account BRVR with the mind of an 8 year old fail miserably? Sorry for my harshness, but I despise adults that have no medical conditions yet act as if they were eleven.
Whatsuppeople

Postby Chemist1422 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:47 pm

Whatsuppeople wrote:
Chemist1422 wrote:small chance I throw together a uPick at some point if the host queue remains empty

Upick? Didnt the last one by that account BRVR with the mind of an 8 year old fail miserably? Sorry for my harshness, but I despise adults that have no medical conditions yet act as if they were eleven.

First, BRVR isn't an adult, they're a teenager

Second of all, you said 8 first and then 11, so pick an age

Third, why do you have a problem with someone being silly because they want to?
mist ~ she/her

i guess this is goodbye?
(still here for danganronpa i guess)

stop sending reports to me i'm not a tos game moderator
Chemist1422
FM Game Moderator
FM Game Moderator

Postby Whatsuppeople » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:16 pm

Chemist1422 wrote:
Whatsuppeople wrote:

First, apologies for that. I should have done more research before jumping to conclusions. The only things I have seen are their posts in BtM. I'm unsure of where else I can find them. I was just assuming they were an adult since they were able to get two consecutive wins in a game that seems to be very strategical. My point is made null.

Second, consistency isn't my strong suit. The sentences were made about an hour and a half apart because of a distraction.

Third, this isn't something I'd be comfortable talking about with people I have no real connection to yet. I'll keep these opinions of this category to myself from now on.

I'll apologize for my post. I don't want to start off on bad terms with anybody. I knew it was a terrible thing to say and still did it. Like I said above I shall keep opinions that could anger others to myself from now on. I'm still not used to filtering my communication on the internet and i'm terrible at social interactions in general. BRVR if you're reading this I hope you can forgive me for my harsh judgement.
Whatsuppeople

Postby Blackajack » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:28 am

Whatsuppeople wrote:
Chemist1422 wrote:
Whatsuppeople wrote:

First, apologies for that. I should have done more research before jumping to conclusions. The only things I have seen are their posts in BtM. I'm unsure of where else I can find them. I was just assuming they were an adult since they were able to get two consecutive wins in a game that seems to be very strategical. My point is made null.

Second, consistency isn't my strong suit. The sentences were made about an hour and a half apart because of a distraction.

Third, this isn't something I'd be comfortable talking about with people I have no real connection to yet. I'll keep these opinions of this category to myself from now on.

I'll apologize for my post. I don't want to start off on bad terms with anybody. I knew it was a terrible thing to say and still did it. Like I said above I shall keep opinions that could anger others to myself from now on. I'm still not used to filtering my communication on the internet and i'm terrible at social interactions in general. BRVR if you're reading this I hope you can forgive me for my harsh judgement.

Not an issue. Welcome to BtM.

I'm one of the head hosts, the other is Tech. I'm currently without broadband so my answers are limited.

I'd like you to play at least one game before trying to host, and my game is currently running. You can backup however.
BtM is not a perfect game by any means and is constantly under itteration. Classic games have more grounded rules while test games are experimental. If you have any questions shoot them over. Dj voxel if you want a tester for that bot let me know.

Blackajack
Jailor
Jailor

Postby Blackajack » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:11 am

Because of the lack of broadband I've just been toying with role ideas.

Countess

You are a Countess!

While not of direct nobility, your mannerisms and notice of the house has allowed you to use your two greatest talents. One is beauty. The other is ambition...

After successfully winning a challenge against a player, they become infatuated by you.
Infatuation is hidden.
Infatuated players automatically fail all guesses if those guesses are against a Countess.
If the current player count is below half, all remaining players bar the Countess are infatuated and the Countess is still alive, the Countess automatically wins the game.

Blackajack
Jailor
Jailor

Postby PokemonKidRyan » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:27 am

Oh boy. Depends what positions you'd think of because boy that's powerful.
It's like Gardener buffed with an auto-victory condition.
My personality:

My alts were EdwardMidford and TsuchiyaTenaka. I apologise profusely for being bad and hiding behind them. I ask for forgiveness but know that won't be a simple feat. Please stop bringing up my past, as I'm striving towards a new future. I just sometimes struggle to show that I truly want said change.
PokemonKidRyan
[Forum Mafia XI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XI] Winner

Postby Cenvil2 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:09 am

It is a VERY buffed gardener. (a gardener is a weak role, so I dont mind giving them a buff, but it is too much (3 different buff), I think.)

1: it gives out multiple guess restrictions per turn. (I have no problem with this one alone)
2: These restrictions are hidden. (I understand in this circumstance you need it to be hidden, but since they cant guess the role anyways, it is just an other way the game keeps information from you. Its the same reason I dont like the renewed cheater.)

3: (it's personal, not neceserry a bad mechanism, but) I HATE alternate wincons in last man standing game. That game is not last man standing anymore. Dont misunderstand, I like hidden wincons (like in Risk) or alternativ wincon (Any game with traitors.) I just think that those two genre of games are not mixing well. (Unless you give every role an alternatív wincon, but that's just too much work. Also it wont be a last man standing, but a hidden wincon game at that point.)
Cenvil2

Postby PokemonKidRyan » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:08 am

Cenvil, the one defence I could see for this role proposed by Blackajack would be...
Should someone choose to guess Countess but be blocked, everyone is informed that has happened.
As that allows for calculations and tactical decisions.
My personality:

PokemonKidRyan
[Forum Mafia XI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XI] Winner

Postby Blackajack » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:15 am

Some interesting points here. I think you could just remove the gardener effect, make it dances only and it would be weak enough. My issue is that a role like this has very passive gameplay, so I added some aspects like the guesses to make it more active.

I honestly like the idea of certain roles with alternate win cons but there should be very few if more than one in the game.

Blackajack
Jailor
Jailor

Postby PokemonKidRyan » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:57 am

I agree with what you said at the end Blackajack instead of Cenvil's suggestion of every role having alternate win conditions.
After all then, as Cenvil says, the game would be different as a genre even.
My personality:

PokemonKidRyan
[Forum Mafia XI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XI] Winner

Postby Whatsuppeople » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:36 am

Im not sure if I'm able to accurately help design a role until I at least play a few games. I will say that with the ability of winning when half the game is dead it won't really be that much of a challenge and would kind of ruin the fun for others. I would suggest they could win alongside the last survivor, but that kind of ruins the spirit of a Last Man Standing game.

Also i have a suggestion to change poisoner. I'm assuming if a Premium Plate is poisoned no matter what happens the poison won't go through? I may have missed something, but a possible change would be:
-You may poison a player during the Voting Phase
-Unless they are in possession of a Premium Food at the end of the phase they will die to your poison.

This would change it quite a bit. Now Premium Food isn't as powerful against poisoner (Unless that's a bad thing?). This will also give the Thief a better opportunity to be more strategic than blindlessly swapping plates hoping they survive the poison or kill the poisoner. Also it would be a bit easier for the host. Instead of focusing on a plate that can be switched multiple times they only have to focus on a single player to see if they have Premium Food or not.
Whatsuppeople

Postby PokemonKidRyan » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:48 am

I do see where you're coming from, What. However, I think at least things should be experimented with for the alternate win conditions idea to fine tune it especially if the auto-winner can be caught easily such as with the method I suggested as it would encourage people to take guesses early on, spicing up the game.

As for your poisoner suggestion, I do not think it is necessary. Poisoner is not particularly powerful (Despite me winning twice as it), it is well balanced.
Premium Food also usually cannot be switched (Except by Thief). The concept of it being switchable was introduced in Blackajack's game as I do not believe I have seen that before.
It certainly would be an interesting idea should ideas such as those experimented in by Blackajack were to be implemented, however, that buffs poisoner a fair bit when it really doesn't need buffs.
My personality:

PokemonKidRyan
[Forum Mafia XI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XI] Winner

Postby Cenvil2 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:38 pm

Whatsuppeople wrote:Also i have a suggestion to change poisoner. I'm assuming if a Premium Plate is poisoned no matter what happens the poison won't go through? I may have missed something, but a possible change would be:
-You may poison a player during the Voting Phase
-Unless they are in possession of a Premium Food at the end of the phase they will die to your poison.

This would change it quite a bit. Now Premium Food isn't as powerful against poisoner (Unless that's a bad thing?). This will also give the Thief a better opportunity to be more strategic than blindlessly swapping plates hoping they survive the poison or kill the poisoner. Also it would be a bit easier for the host. Instead of focusing on a plate that can be switched multiple times they only have to focus on a single player to see if they have Premium Food or not.

I see your point.
but
1. As a former host I can definitely say, It is not easier to track every Premium food than only one plate (I would say it is way harder). Cause if poison gets in a premium food, you basically don't need to worry about it. And if it is not, you just record where the poisoned food landed. (The host's job is figure out if the player is immune to poison or not.)

2. the premium food would have the same effect as now. (negates the poison.) But would be checked at an other time.

3. The change you propose would affect more roles than you think.
First, the poisoner. He can lay back, and don't worry about poisoning himself. Each killing role has their own drawback. (Blackmailer warns their target, MAA can kill only losers, sorcerer reveals themselves in the process, and poisoner has the chance to poison themselves.) It was discussed already, every (killing) role need their drawback.
Second, the thief. You are mostly right on this one. But the sane thief pull the premium food to themselves either ways.
Third, the peasant. Check the role and you would realize how it changes, I think.
Fourth, the soldier. This might not be obvious at first glance, but if poison targets player instead of plate, poisoner could easily go for Soldier(thief) hunting. (Since it is now targets the player, he can more easily subtract the power of the thief from the equation) while with poisoned food he cant be sure if the poisoned plate, went to someone immune to poison or not, but with poisoned player he just need to track if the player they poisoned has a premium food or not at the end of the phase.
Cenvil2

Postby DJVoxel » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:05 pm

I have everything except the game logic done for the bot.

I would be able to get the base phase logic, with no special actions done tomorrow, if not for a few things I have planned.

Expect a link to the testing server on Thursday when I need more than one person to test the systems. If you want to help, please let me know.

The bot can be set up to run on the official BtM Discord and limited to a single channel, but because I don't have the money for server costs, and I'd rather not leave one of my computers on all day, either:
1. Someone else will need to host the bot
or 2. The bot will only be available whenever I am available
DJVoxel
Janitor
Janitor

Postby Whatsuppeople » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:31 pm

DJVoxel wrote:I have everything except the game logic done for the bot.

I would be able to get the base phase logic, with no special actions done tomorrow, if not for a few things I have planned.

Expect a link to the testing server on Thursday when I need more than one person to test the systems. If you want to help, please let me know.

The bot can be set up to run on the official BtM Discord and limited to a single channel, but because I don't have the money for server costs, and I'd rather not leave one of my computers on all day, either:

Is a game played required to help? If not I would gladly help test it. Along with that how much would server costs be? I'm not at all familiar with the internet so I don't even have a general idea of the price range. If it's at a reasonable rate I may be able to help pay a certain amount for the fees.
Whatsuppeople

Postby DJVoxel » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:50 am

Whatsuppeople wrote:
DJVoxel wrote:I have everything except the game logic done for the bot.

Is a game played required to help? If not I would gladly help test it. Along with that how much would server costs be? I'm not at all familiar with the internet so I don't even have a general idea of the price range. If it's at a reasonable rate I may be able to help pay a certain amount for the fees.

No clue. I haven't looked into it much myself.

If I do find a reasonably priced server then I might end up making the bot publically available, and doing some extra coding to get it to shard properly, though that would probably require permission from Vucub, since he made the game and I'd rather not freely distribute his intellectual property without his permission.
DJVoxel
Janitor
Janitor

Postby DJVoxel » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:31 am

https://discord.gg/AsRqEA

This link will last only for 24 hours. if you do not get in, you'll have to wait until I post a new link. I'm doing this mainly so I don't end up with more people on the server than what I need for now.
DJVoxel
Janitor
Janitor

Postby DJVoxel » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:47 am

https://discord.gg/kFnuxJC

Looking for more testers. This link is permanent. I may start recruiting outside the community if I need to bring up the numbers for the tests.
DJVoxel
Janitor
Janitor

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Games