NFM:

Talk about Forum Mafia feedback, suggestions, etc here.

Moderators: Varanus, FM Game Moderators

Would you like to see this proposed mentor system replace NFM?

Yes; I think the system outlined below is good in it's current form is good
64%
Kind of; I want to see the changes implemented which I have replied with below
29%
No; I want NFM replaced but this ain't it chief and I've explained below what I would prefer
4%
No; I like the current NFM system
4%

Total votes : 28

NFM:

Postby ryanyb » Mon May 27, 2019 2:12 pm

Sucks right now.

And I don't mean that having games for new players is bad. No, that's totally fine. What's bad is that there's months between games in which new players are twiddling thumbs waiting to play and not getting their game filled. That is bad. So let's change that.

We've been chatting it up about ways to fix NFM and are coming up a bit dry. We've been able to poke not insignificantly sized holes in just about every system that's been presented thus far but the best we've got right now is a mentor system.

The goal with the system is to more quickly get newer players into games without needing to wait through a needlessly lengthy queue time. Additionally, the advice of a mentor ideally should improve the overall game knowledge of the new player more so than getting passive aggressive advice in a NFM would. It also lets newer players get to know some more time worn players and ideally helps to build community.

So, here's how the current iteration of the proposed mentor system would work:

1. The NFM queue will be deleted. No more NFM games will be run.
  2. In place of the NFM queue will be some form of "Request a Mentor" thread/queue in which new players will enter a queue to be assigned a mentor. Veteran players can apply to be mentors by submitting an application to the FM moderators.
  3. A mentor and new player will be paired together and will decide on a game to join. Ideally the mentor and new player will make some sort of discord chat or just DM each other a lot, it's up to both of them how exactly they want to do this and be in communication. We're going to strongly recommend using something more than just forum DM's though.
  4. The mentor and mentee will join the game technically as a hydra, although the vast majority of the posting should be coming from the new player. The role of the mentor is not to play the game, (and in that vein they don't even need to be fully caught up on the game if it's moving very quickly) but rather to serve as a backboard for new players to bounce ideas off of (and to show the newer player how you as the mentor formulate reads and opinions and contrast those with their reads to help with read progression and/or play as not blatant scum etc). Of course if things are going to shit and the mentor needs to post some sort of clarifications or something in the thread no problem but the mentor shouldn't be posting every page or anywhere even close to that. This is the new player's game and other players should be seeing the play of the newbie not of you. Their reads should be made around the play of the new player not based off your constant interjections.
  5. Game hosts are able to, if they wish, disallow mentees from joining their games by submitting to the moderator overseeing their game a brief justification for the decision.

That's pretty much it. It's a pseudo-hydra in which the mentor really shouldn't be posting (although they can if they need to) and the mentee gets someone to talk to that shares their pov in the game. NFM queue would burn in a fire and this would replace it.

Some of the issues so far that we've brought up:
- Will there be enough mentors? There will likely be a huge surge if this goes live but then in a year or a year and a half, will there still be active mentors?
- It's quite possible that some people won't want to play in games with brand new green players and since this technically opens up new players to most games would that be a problem? Yes there's a mentor who should be guiding them but given the history of activity on this site who knows how much the mentor will actually do.
- If there's a surge of new players this system breaks down
- This is very similar to the IC's system that was in place way long ago and got removed for issues regarding lack of experienced players wanting to be IC's. This might have the same problem.

So what do y'all think? Go ahead and fill out the survey and write some comments down below.
ryanyb
FM Game Moderator
FM Game Moderator

Re: NFM:

Postby Phone0Ix » Mon May 27, 2019 2:17 pm

I think it is a good idea to have alongside NFM. Lately a NFM has filled which shows it is able to fill again. So removing isn't a very good idea I believe. Now NFM could be for noobs to try for theirselves, and the mentee arrangement could work in other games, or also in NFM.
Call me Phone Ig

Or Silver because of my old discord name. Or Mikan because of my new discord name. Or Julian as that's my actual name
Phone0Ix
[Forum Mafia XVII] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVII] Winner

Postby 0verki11 » Mon May 27, 2019 2:19 pm

Like this idea
Would definitly support this providing we put some rules in place to stop it from being full on controlling.
Last edited by 0verki11 on Mon May 27, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you need a replacement for an FM or most Forum games, PM me, and ill see if I can replace in.
If you want my discord PM me.
UTC+13 or something is my timezone.

0verki11
Medium
Medium

Location: Somewhere in NZ trying to get a good internet connection

Postby Eragon1329 » Mon May 27, 2019 2:24 pm

"The mentor and mentee will join the game technically as a hydra"

done
/support

in all honesty though, i think the mentor system is a good idea, and as phone said, it could be alongside NFM

maybe if, instead of closing down the NFM queue
1)keep NFM games running, and just run when it does
2)If an NFM game is ongoing, or the players wish to join a new game, assign them a mentor for another game(probably exclude SFM's from this)

and maybe even change the NFM rolelist
coming straight from MS, as i feel their newbie queue games are good at least
9 players, with the D6
so it makes it pretty similar to a VFM, a good entrance format
and it also increases the speed and flux of newbies
Spoiler:

TG/FM Records

28-30-6

Eragon1329
FM Awards: Neutral

Postby TheDebil » Mon May 27, 2019 2:30 pm

Eragon1329 wrote:
and maybe even change the NFM rolelist
coming straight from MS, as i feel their newbie queue games are good at least
9 players, with the D6
so it makes it pretty similar to a VFM, a good entrance format
and it also increases the speed and flux of newbies

yes
by starting on a smaller and more focused on reads game newbies can get more used to the game than starting on the ones we have now that truthfully can be a bit too convoluted and scary
TheDebil
St. Patrick's 2019 Winner
St. Patrick's 2019 Winner

Postby Eragon1329 » Mon May 27, 2019 2:33 pm

also i'd say always have 1 experienced (episode eligible) player in the NFM queue (this is basically the IC player) for help with terms and just general play

this is generally not a problem with the current queue

but :shrug:
Spoiler:

TG/FM Records

28-30-6

Eragon1329

Postby Chemist1422 » Mon May 27, 2019 2:40 pm

I basically agree with Eragon here
mist ~ she/her

i guess this is goodbye?
(still here for danganronpa i guess)

stop sending reports to me i'm not a tos game moderator
Chemist1422
FM Game Moderator
FM Game Moderator

Postby Jezz92 » Mon May 27, 2019 6:24 pm

I would have loved to have this when I was new. Even with an NFM or two under my belt I was kinda uncomfortable transitioning into the normal games for the first time.
Jezz92
Godfather
Godfather

Postby hereisme » Mon May 27, 2019 8:34 pm

Chemist1422 wrote:I basically agree with Eragon here

+1
Who's the Wolf - mystery game with hidden WW attribute
http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/vi ... 25&t=69984
hereisme
Civilian
Civilian

Postby Kmenx » Tue May 28, 2019 5:25 am

This is good but I'd rather have the mentor not post at the game at all however mentors should really be picked well because this can be easily abused by bad mentors also mentors should not be mentioned in op(Just the fact that they exsist not who they are) so that people don't die for having a good mentor
You can find me in discord at Disguiser#5127

Spoiler: My FM record:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Kmenx
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby xUltiix » Tue May 28, 2019 4:40 pm

Voted for kindof: I agree with the NFM system becoming what is proposed here, but I think in place of current NFM games either another concurrent standard game or a size-restricted smaller game should run. I don't think we should entirely get rid of that game slot running.
xUltiix
[Forum Mafia XIX] Winner
[Forum Mafia XIX] Winner

Postby Seththeking » Tue May 28, 2019 11:24 pm

I’d rather BFM.
Seththeking
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby leeten » Wed May 29, 2019 12:00 am

Dash2 wrote:I'm not sure if a hydra is the best idea, though some kind of mentor system would be useful. I am in favor of removing the nfm queue though

Some sort of shadow mentor would be nice to see on this site. It establishes bonds between players and introduces them to onsite personalities, which helps not only teach them the game but also gives them a reason to stick around.
leeten
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby LOLingHyena » Wed May 29, 2019 5:30 am

This is a cool idea.
On the prospect of me being a wolf in VFM 18:
milte345 wrote:A hyena can't be a wolf because it is in fact a hyena
Ez.
LOLingHyena
Witch
Witch

Postby ejjinami » Wed May 29, 2019 9:28 am

leeten wrote:
Dash2 wrote:I'm not sure if a hydra is the best idea, though some kind of mentor system would be useful. I am in favor of removing the nfm queue though

Some sort of shadow mentor would be nice to see on this site. It establishes bonds between players and introduces them to onsite personalities, which helps not only teach them the game but also gives them a reason to stick around.

^^^^^^^^

15 : 14,5

Last updated: 18.02.2021
ejjinami
Medium
Medium

Postby EvanManManMan » Wed May 29, 2019 12:28 pm

This is the first decent thread in this section in a while
EvanManManMan
FM Awards: Town
FM Awards: Town

Postby TheWabbit » Thu May 30, 2019 11:39 am

Answered "kind of". I don't like the thought of having the mentors publicly revealed. It places a burden onto the newcomer more than it should benefit them; a good mentor may be grounds for unnecessary SPKs because said newcomer has a good coach.

I think our current NFM system shouldn't be abolished, but rather revamped with the inclusion of the mentor system for reasons already mentioned by others. Though, mentor(s) would be more suitable than the mandatory IC to prevent possible bias.

Oh yeah, and smaller NFM queues ensure that games could be ran more frequently than our current 13p. The decline in newcomers and player retention forces us to have smaller games.

TheWabbit
FM Awards: Mafia
FM Awards: Mafia

Return to FM Discussion