Thoughts on unbanning Hydras in our games?

Talk about Forum Mafia feedback, suggestions, etc here.

Moderators: Varanus, FM Game Moderators

Re: Thoughts on unbanning Hydras in our games?

Postby GrumpyGoomba » Wed May 15, 2019 5:29 am

Ah, that sounds fair nuff.
Spoiler: Why did you click this spoiler?
GrumpyGoomba
Mayor
Mayor

Postby ryanyb » Wed May 15, 2019 10:29 am

Was there not a hydra like
2 months ago.
ryanyb
FM Game Moderator
FM Game Moderator

Postby ryanyb » Wed May 15, 2019 10:37 am

Oh you mean every game can have hydras.

Uh, I'm not a fan.

That:
1) Reduces playerbase for larger games
2) Harder to read slots since two players can have two different tones giving slots an advantage for being in a hydra
3) What if one member of the hydra isn't posting, is that replaceable?
4) Harder on the mod to be double-checking votes, also players would have to remember that the players are actually hydras. This one isn't really that significant but can be a pain in the butt for catchups.

What we are thinking about though is changing up NFM since it's pretty awful right now. We're consider running NFM's as hydras or something similar where each new player gets an experienced player to play with. NFM would probably be run less frequently because of the heightened requirements for the game. I'm sure other adjustments would be in place as well.

But that's about the only place I think I'm seeing hydras maybe with non-hydras. If anywhere it would probably be in some sort of NFM revamp if anywhere at all.
ryanyb
FM Game Moderator
FM Game Moderator

Postby Seththeking » Wed May 15, 2019 11:22 am

ryanyb wrote:Oh you mean every game can have hydras.

Uh, I'm not a fan.

That:
1) Reduces playerbase for larger games
2) Harder to read slots since two players can have two different tones giving slots an advantage for being in a hydra
3) What if one member of the hydra isn't posting, is that replaceable?
4) Harder on the mod to be double-checking votes, also players would have to remember that the players are actually hydras. This one isn't really that significant but can be a pain in the butt for catchups.

What we are thinking about though is changing up NFM since it's pretty awful right now. We're consider running NFM's as hydras or something similar where each new player gets an experienced player to play with. NFM would probably be run less frequently because of the heightened requirements for the game. I'm sure other adjustments would be in place as well.

But that's about the only place I think I'm seeing hydras maybe with non-hydras. If anywhere it would probably be in some sort of NFM revamp if anywhere at all.

TBH Hydra should be allowed as an Option instead of Backup.
If 1 is inactive then just brake up the Hydra.
Seththeking
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Rickdaily12 » Wed May 15, 2019 1:23 pm

Ryan, questions, though. Do you think allowing Hydras would unbanning Hydras:

-result in most of a Game's playerlist consisting more of hydras rather than single players (if so, what is the proportion do you think of hydras to singles)
-bring back and attract older players who want to see this aspect brought into the game

Solve your concerns with the playerlist issue? I think remembering that some people prefer to go it alone rather than have someone else in their head, and others that would return or play more as a result of this amd would just expand the base.

3. You could just threaten with inactive heads to eject them, turning the Hydra into a solo player. It would also discourage people from partnering with an irresponsible head, and perhaps the inactive people either is more motivated to play as a result, or changes their way and/or joins as a solo.

(4. As for this, I sympathize, but like, this shouldn't really be an argument for not doing it. A bit of discomfort for the mods should be sacrificed if it results in true variety and enjoyment to the game.)

I don't mind your NFM revamp idea, but I do think that this still shouldn't disqualify the joining of hydras in other games where hosts don't explicitly ban them. Especially in games where there are fewer than 15 slots, because we should always be able to fill those even if everyone is a hydra, and if people join as singles as well, then it should be hypothetically possible to do a 20p as well.
"Don't lie this is all so you could post Ace Attorney gifs and have it be relevant isn't it." ~Sarah Thorpe

Looking for guides? :D

Check out the LGBTAI+ Thread!

Rickdaily12
FM Awards: Town
FM Awards: Town

Postby ryanyb » Wed May 15, 2019 2:46 pm

1) I think it will be 1/4 hydra 3/4 singles probably.
No I don't think it will bring back older players. If you have a list of older players who would come back for hydras let me know and I can see about getting one run. I know I saw exa in the last hydra and he prodged out of the game. That's about my extend of knowledge about old players wanting hydras except yourself.

2) I dont see how adding in hydras solves a playerlist issue. If there is a significant number of players who are too nervous to play alone then once again let me know and I can see if we can discuss that.

3) Once again simply ejecting a hydra head and making the slot reduce back to one changes the information flow of the game. Players can come up with strategies to enter as a hydra then for some reason one player replaces out / leaves for whatever reason and get angleshot or otherwise because of it. I don't want to introduce avenues for players to manipulate information other than by playing the game.

4) I mean yea. But have you seen the arguments that have happened in other hydra games about the specific way people vote hydras.

Additional point that Ice brought up:
I personally hate playing with and against hydras. It's incredibly annoying to keep up with. I think that opening up signups to hydra pairings would reduce the amount of players who want standard games and vanilla games to be standard and vanilla games. Which means hydras would be relegated to only SFM's. At which point how is that any different than the system we have right now.
ryanyb
FM Game Moderator
FM Game Moderator

Postby ICECLIMBERS » Wed May 15, 2019 6:40 pm

I think allowing this in MCs would be fine, but not SPs.

I don't see a point speculating into what the hydra:single ratio would be. It'd be high at first for the novelty but would die off.
Spoiler: Image

in the distance the shelves
rode three shadows of blue
ICECLIMBERS
[Forum Mafia VII] Winner
[Forum Mafia VII] Winner

Previous

Return to FM Discussion