hi!i want to start hosting nonrecorded video mafia games

Talk about Forum Mafia feedback, suggestions, etc here.

Moderators: Varanus, FM Game Moderators

hi!i want to start hosting nonrecorded video mafia games

Postby moonbird » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:41 pm

hi

its moon

im not dead i promise

I'm really interested in actually starting to urge our players to pick up more rounds of video mafia and, as such, I have regained some semblance of powers in order to give anyone interested a pingable role in the FM Discord. If you want to be involved, PM me! This is something which I'd love to be involved with in the community. Games would likely fall on weekends or Friday nights. They will not be recorded unless all present consent to do so--same with streams--as they're intended as something to learn from and just chill together playing.

If interest gathers, I'll start setting some dates in stone and just showing up and sitting in calls and waiting for people to roll on in. If you want to wear a mask or something because you're uncomfortable, feel free, but it would be amazing to still be able to see some portion of your face (eyes, mouth, ect.) as video mafia is a game about facial cues as much as argumentation.

No idea what video mafia is? Check out the Mafia All Stars stream to get a feel. Please note that you don't have to be good, bad, or anything in between to join in on this! You just need to not be creepy about seeing other people's faces, be under the complete understanding that you should not record any part of a game without complete agreement from all involved, and you're willing to roll with us as we all figure this out. We're all playing to learn together, and we're all friends in doing so. It's okay to just let loose and enjoy some time.

Thank you, and have an amazing night. :)
moonbird
Retributionist
Retributionist

Re: hi!i want to start hosting nonrecorded video mafia games

Postby ObiWan » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:16 pm

And if you guys wanna see some really nerdy guys on this forum play it, I did record a game a long ass time ago. The editing is horrible as hell, but yeah. Have fun. =P

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=35950&start=50#p1133361
This was not the scumslip you were looking for.

Alzar wrote:there is no such thing as a meta, forum mafia is a lie, we are products of a confused society

ObiWan
Vampire
Vampire

Postby Swordsworth » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:22 pm

Video mafia is a lot of fun and I highly recommend it.

also lol Mroz still hasn't sent Obi/uploaded the recording of the first game rest in peace
Spoiler: Somewhere beyond the sea
Somewhere waiting for me

S E N A T O R M E M E C H I N O
Swordsworth
Patron
Patron

Postby Gobln » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:01 pm

If you're ugly, please don't join.

I'll remind you all why i was voted hottest forumer in the past.
Gobln
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby moonbird » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:28 am

I'm trying to get a round thrown up later today between 3-4PST, with at least seven players. If we get up to 11, we can host one in style of Liar's Game; if by some miracle we hit 16, we can host a mafia all stars setup. The more the merrier! If you hate it, we won't blame you if you don't come back. We just ask that you're understanding as people get over the weird "wtf this bitch look like" hump. Estimated time for a round is anywhere from 1-3 hours.

I'm literally going to sit in a VC in fmzone at 3 and hopefully enough people filter in to play. I won't blame you if you don't. I'll just feel sad and alone. And so will any British people who stay up.

So please, if you've wanted to give video mafia a shot (or you've been eyeing the Liar's game thing), please hop on in! It would be super cool to get those going!

Please note that we will be using Zoom for video magic. You can come in the VC and set it up at 3 if that's what floats your boat. Just know that Zoom is sleek.
moonbird
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby moonbird » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:18 pm

Changed to 9AM PST tomorrow.

https://doodle.com/poll/3svd6p94wdfnfgce

moonbird
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby polypies73 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:01 pm

wowee

Don't ask
polypies73
Veteran
Veteran

Postby moonbird » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:03 pm

Thanks to all who showed up! It was quite fun. :)

We're trying to run another few games next Sunday (the 23rd).
moonbird
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby EvanManManMan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:43 pm

moonbird wrote:Thanks to all who showed up! It was quite fun. :)

Can anybody that is not Chubby mod this time?
EvanManManMan
FM Awards: Town

Postby moonbird » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:46 pm

EvanManManMan wrote:

I'll mod or we'll grab somebody else. Just depends who's up for a round.
moonbird
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby EvanManManMan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:04 pm

moonbird wrote:
EvanManManMan wrote:

That was a joke btw
EvanManManMan

Postby moonbird » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:26 pm

EvanManManMan wrote:
moonbird wrote:
EvanManManMan wrote:

That was a joke btw

I'm a tired human being
moonbird
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby ChubbyMooshroom9 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:45 am

EvanManManMan wrote:
moonbird wrote:
EvanManManMan wrote:

That was a joke btw

You bet your ass it is

Hall of Fame
Spoiler:
Shino Thomson
Federico Decandia
Clayton (Briah)
Gebura Briah
ChubbyMooshroom9

Postby lemonader666 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:33 am

ChubbyMooshroom9 wrote:
EvanManManMan wrote:
moonbird wrote:
EvanManManMan wrote:

That was a joke btw

You bet your ass it is

^:)
Hosted:
VFM42 - Mafia Win
VFM67 - Mafia Win
SFM72 - Mafia, Failed Assassin, The Witch Loss of NFM41 and Last Wish Jester Win
Spoiler: Image
lemonader666
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Postby ejjinami » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:09 pm

Hey, as you’ve prob noticed I tend to get lost REAAAAALLY easily and I’m actually not that confident in knowing the game rules yet.
I’m going to write down all rules I remember and I’d be really glad if someone could look over them and add sth/correct me if needed.

The rules I remember:

Phase length:
  • Night: 5 minutes
  • Day: varies from 6 to 20 minutes
  • Formal: 2 minutes
  • Defense: 10 seconds

Other:
  • No day mafia chat
  • Claiming is allowed.
  • Killing/lynching someone will result in their alignment being revealed (not the whole role).

Lynch mechanics:
  • Before voting/lynching someone it’s necessary to /formal them first.
  • To formal a player, say: “Formal [XXX]” .
  • If you get supported by another player (who says that they “second the formal”), the day-timer stops and the game enters a “formal phase” (just like the trial phase in ToS).
  • If no one /seconds, the formal phase cannot start.
  • The players are free to talk and discuss whatever they want during the formal phase.

• If at any time during the formal phase a player decides to lynch [XXX], they have to signal it first (Just say that they “want to vote”).
  • This makes the game enter a “defense phase” during which, the player who’s being lynched gets 10 seconds to defend themselves.
  • After that all players get to place their votes.
  • You place your vote by raising your hand.
  • All players have to vote at the same time (there’s no talking in between the votes).

• If majority is reached, [XXX] is lynched.
  • If majority isn’t reached, no one gets lynched and the day resumes normally.
  • The same player cannot be formalled twice during the same day.
  • A player cannot be lynched without the game entering a vote phase. If no one says that they want to vote, the formal ends in a no-lynch and the day resumes normally.
  • 2-5 formals are allowed each day-phase. This means that if too many formals end in no one getting lynched, the day will also end in a no-lynch.
  • 2-formals are standard. If both formals are wasted and no one is lynched, the host RNGs whatever if another formal is allowed or not.
  • Up to 3 RNGd formals are allowed.
  • This doesn’t apply in MyLo/LyLo (there is an infinite number of formals in MyLo/LyLo).

The rules I think exist, but I’m not actually so sure about them:
  • The player who starts the formal may rescind it at any time (before it ends)
    This results in the formal ending early without entering a vote phase (…?)
  • If there was a formal on [XXX], which ended with the timer running out and no one starting a vote phase, it still counts as a formal and no one can /formal [XXX] again before EoD.

12 : 13,5

Last updated: 12.05.2020
ejjinami
Transporter
Transporter

Postby EvanManManMan » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:45 pm

ejjinami wrote:Hey, as you’ve prob noticed I tend to get lost REAAAAALLY easily and I’m actually not that confident in knowing the game rules yet.
I’m going to write down all rules I remember and I’d be really glad if someone could look over them and add sth/correct me if needed.

The rules I remember:

Phase length:
  • Night: 5 minutes Either this or night phase ends whenever all actions are sent in and finalized
  • Day: varies from 6 to 20 minutes
  • Formal: 2 minutes Can go up to 4 minutes in bigger games but we likely won't end up playing games if that size
  • Defense: 10 seconds 10 seconds is more of a "last words" than a defense

Other:
  • No day mafia chat Depends on setup
  • Claiming is allowed.
  • Killing/lynching someone will result in their alignment being revealed (not the whole role). Again, depends on setup

Lynch mechanics:
  • Before voting/lynching someone it’s necessary to /formal them first.
  • To formal a player, say: “Formal [XXX]” .
  • If you get supported by another player (who says that they “second the formal”), the day-timer stops and the game enters a “formal phase” (just like the trial phase in ToS). Day timer does not stop
  • If no one /seconds, the formal phase cannot start.
  • The players are free to talk and discuss whatever they want during the formal phase. General respect should be given to the person under formal in terms of letting them speak but yes

• If at any time during the formal phase a player decides to lynch [XXX], they have to signal it first (Just say that they “want to vote”). This is signified after the formal is over. The phrase is pushing to vote but it can also be signified by raising your hand to the camera
  • This makes the game enter a “defense phase” during which, the player who’s being lynched gets 10 seconds to defend themselves. Just called 10 seconds.
  • After that all players get to place their votes.
  • You place your vote by raising your hand.
  • All players have to vote at the same time (there’s no talking in between the votes). There is a 3 second phase in which people can vote. This allows for late votes/hanmers etc.

• If majority is reached, [XXX] is lynched.
  • If majority isn’t reached, no one gets lynched and the day resumes normally.
  • The same player cannot be formalled twice during the same day. If their formal is pushed to vote. If it gets rescinded they can be formaled again
  • A player cannot be lynched without the game entering a vote phase. If no one says that they want to vote, the formal ends in a no-lynch and the day resumes normally.
  • 2-5 formals are allowed each day-phase. This means that if too many formals end in no one getting lynched, the day will also end in a no-lynch. An infinite amount of formals are allowed to occur in the regular day time. They start being counted at the formal that the day ends during, called end of day formal. There is then a guaranteed extra formal in which town has 2 minutes to decide on. After that, the number of additional formals is RNGed between 0-2
  • 2-formals are standard. If both formals are wasted and no one is lynched, the host RNGs whatever if another formal is allowed or not.
  • Up to 3 RNGd formals are allowed. Up to 2
  • This doesn’t apply in MyLo/LyLo (there is an infinite number of formals in MyLo/LyLo). This is wrong. *yLo days are treated normally with the exception of final 3.
  • [b]Final 3s work a bit differently. The end of day formal is automatically pushed to vote. There are no 10 seconds phase. The game ends if mafia gets immunity or if both town get immunity.

[b]The rules I think exist, but I’m not actually so sure about them:
  • The player who starts the formal may rescind it an any time (before it ends)
    This results in the formal ending early without entering a vote phase (…?) These are correct
  • If there was a formal on [XXX], which ended with the timer running out and no one starting a vote phase, it still counts as a formal and no one can /formal [XXX] again before EoD. No. That's rescinding and does not count towards immunity

Corrections in bold
EvanManManMan

Return to FM Discussion