A potential problem with player retention

Talk about Forum Mafia feedback, suggestions, etc here.

Moderators: Varanus, FM Game Moderators

Re: A potential problem with player retention

Postby ManateeDude » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:35 pm

RN there are no -17p games in signups or game threads.
they/she

Discord: light fagami#0016
ManateeDude
Medium
Medium

Postby BasicFourLife » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:17 pm

ManateeDude wrote:RN there are no -17p games in signups or game threads.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=89981
RNG is never good for any strategy based game. Please learn the definition of what that means, especially if you're one of the people constantly defending it.

FM / TG: 5 - 10 - 8
BasicFourLife
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Postby chitownmvp01 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:37 pm

mdb1023 wrote:
chitownmvp01 wrote:
mdb1023 wrote:I'm not too sure if this is a huge problem or not but I feel its something to point out regardless:
The reason I stopped playing FM is because its getting to the point where it feels impossible to keep up with the game if you have any semblance of a hobby/ life outside of the forums. Maybe it's just me, but I've tried getting back into FM numerous times and found that too much gets posted at once for me to keep up with the game. I noticed the My Hero Academia game has nearly reached 200 pages before night 1. That's just... How does anyone keep up with that?

Like I said, maybe this is a smaller issue than I'm making it out to be, but I feel like maybe this is something that should be made apparent. Feel free to tell me that I'm wrong/stupid/ whatever.

Well you used a 30 player game as an example, so what else do you expect? Join smaller games.

This implies that there are smaller games to join

Check the signups section.
Spoiler: Image

Thanks Achro!: Spoiler:
Chitsticks INC.

Favorite Roles: Mayor, Jailor, Investigator, Lookout, Sheriff, Godfather, Consigliere
Least Favorite Roles: Transporter, Jester, Survivor, Disguiser, Mafioso (original, not promoted)
chitownmvp01
[Forum Mafia XI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XI] Winner

Postby mdb1023 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:51 am

chitownmvp01 wrote:
mdb1023 wrote:
chitownmvp01 wrote:
mdb1023 wrote:I'm not too sure if this is a huge problem or not but I feel its something to point out regardless:
The reason I stopped playing FM is because its getting to the point where it feels impossible to keep up with the game if you have any semblance of a hobby/ life outside of the forums. Maybe it's just me, but I've tried getting back into FM numerous times and found that too much gets posted at once for me to keep up with the game. I noticed the My Hero Academia game has nearly reached 200 pages before night 1. That's just... How does anyone keep up with that?

Like I said, maybe this is a smaller issue than I'm making it out to be, but I feel like maybe this is something that should be made apparent. Feel free to tell me that I'm wrong/stupid/ whatever.

Well you used a 30 player game as an example, so what else do you expect? Join smaller games.

This implies that there are smaller games to join

Check the signups section.

Anything over 15 is a bit too much for me.
Discord: Finn#5059

http://www.twitch.tv/mikeakafinn?sr=a

Do you like Mafia? You'll love Survivor, and and we're hosting games of them all the time! It's super easy to join and learn how to play, and the best part is- it's all on discord! Join the Finnvivor discord server to see when signups for a new game go up! Click here to join the server or DM me on discord for details! !
mdb1023
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Location: At work, rehearsal, or finishing whatever I pushed off to the last minute this time.

Postby Chemist1422 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:59 am

back up for an NFM then
mist ~ she/her

i guess this is goodbye?
(still here for danganronpa i guess)

stop sending reports to me i'm not a tos game moderator
Chemist1422
FM Game Moderator
FM Game Moderator

Postby mdb1023 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:01 am

2 problems:

1) it's NFM and I hate the idea of experienced players coming in and dominating
2) I'd have to read an entire game up to the point where i replaced in which I simply do not have time to do.

Do you like Mafia? You'll love Survivor, and and we're hosting games of them all the time! It's super easy to join and learn how to play, and the best part is- it's all on discord! Join the Finnvivor discord server to see when signups for a new game go up! Click here to join the server or DM me on discord for details! !
mdb1023
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Location: At work, rehearsal, or finishing whatever I pushed off to the last minute this time.

Postby BasicFourLife » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:03 am

well next standard on queue is 16p
RNG is never good for any strategy based game. Please learn the definition of what that means, especially if you're one of the people constantly defending it.

FM / TG: 5 - 10 - 8
BasicFourLife
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Postby RAmcius » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:35 am

it's not about game size, but about certain people. So only way to have pleasant experience is learn who spammers are and avoid them.
Call me Ramcius, capital a was an accident
RAmcius
[Forum Mafia XIV] Winner
[Forum Mafia XIV] Winner

Postby Chemist1422 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:36 am

RAmcius wrote:it's not about game size, but about certain people. So only way to have pleasant experience is learn who spammers are and avoid them.

aka evan, chit, and wabbit
mist ~ she/her

i guess this is goodbye?

Chemist1422
FM Game Moderator
FM Game Moderator

Postby mdb1023 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:37 am

Kirize12 wrote:The sad truth is, you live with the rest of the world. The rest of the world does not live with you. If you can’t play games, you shouldn’t be joining them. As someone who has college classes, a job, and a full schedule in 11th grade (which is the hardest year, given how even senior year only has two academic classes as opposed to junior’s four - Honors American Literature is tough as shit too), I lack the ability to devote even an hour each day to FM - which sucks, but if you can’t play, the only solution is to not play.

Making this thread was quite audacious of you, mdb. It’s selfish of you to impose on everyone else, making them feel guilty for not hosting games they don’t want to host (in this case, smaller games).

I don't think that it's too much to ask that we have games that cater to those who actually have a life outside the forums and don't sit on the site 24 hours a day.

mdb1023
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby mdb1023 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:39 am

I don't like what FM here has become; I used to really like playing and could play multiple games at once and keep up with my life outside. Within the last year it's transformed into something that's nearly impossible to keep up with and I don't think that's a good thing.

mdb1023
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby ICECLIMBERS » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:51 am

tfw mdb thinks post-TPA fm has declined

Chemist1422 wrote:back up for an NFM then

again please tell me you are joking
Spoiler: Image

in the distance the shelves
rode three shadows of blue
ICECLIMBERS
[Forum Mafia VII] Winner
[Forum Mafia VII] Winner

Postby Chemist1422 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:53 am

ICECLIMBERS wrote:tfw mdb thinks post-TPA fm has declined

Chemist1422 wrote:back up for an NFM then

again please tell me you are joking

I won't say anything either way ;)
mist ~ she/her

i guess this is goodbye?

Chemist1422
FM Game Moderator
FM Game Moderator

Postby Metrion » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:15 pm

mdb1023 wrote:I don't like what FM here has become; I used to really like playing and could play multiple games at once and keep up with my life outside. Within the last year it's transformed into something that's nearly impossible to keep up with and I don't think that's a good thing.

There are 5 finished standard games on the first page 4/5 of them are 160 pages or less, highest being 203 and the average being 156.2. This isn't including the re-rolled Episode which was 159 pages.

A year ago on the fifth page there are 5 finished standard games 4/5 of them are 160 pages or less, highest being 212 and the average being 158.4. This isn't including the 15p hydra game which was 156 pages.

Given this standards have remained largely the same.
Metrion
FM Awards: Creator
FM Awards: Creator

Postby mdb1023 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:55 pm

It's hard to read sarcasm sorry lol

mdb1023
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Previous

Return to FM Discussion