Event FM?

Talk about Forum Mafia feedback, suggestions, etc here.

Moderators: Varanus, FM Game Moderators

Event FM?

Postby PoisonMaid » Tue May 20, 2014 4:28 pm

I'm thinking about having an event forum mafia game (most likely not this upcoming 2) where the winners get a prize.
Maybe Steam Cards, Karma Koin, or maybe a prize list to choose from.

You guys think this is a good idea? <3
Proud Mommy 01/10/17 with another on the way 11/20/18
<3
PoisonMaid
Disguiser
Disguiser

Re: Event FM?

Postby Guzame » Tue May 20, 2014 4:44 pm

I like the idea, depending on where the prizes come from. :lol:
Guzame
Jailor
Jailor

Postby PoisonMaid » Tue May 20, 2014 4:48 pm

LOL :lol: From me. I'm thinking about 10-50$ cards or something worth that much or more to give as prizes.
<3
PoisonMaid
Disguiser
Disguiser

Postby Guzame » Tue May 20, 2014 4:57 pm

I don't mind it, although a town win could get quite expensive!

I'd have to ask the Admins if they're fine with real prizes being given away first though. It may lead to hard feelings. :P
Guzame
Jailor
Jailor

Postby LordofFail » Tue May 20, 2014 5:39 pm

I do not really like this idea and I will not be using it in the game that I will be hosting.

This is for the simple reason that from past experience I have seen that when actual monetary prizes are involved, people can get uber-competitive and it can take away from the game experience.

And how would you give the cards? Would that not require a postal address (not to mention the cost of international mail!)

And a final point, while I doubt it would happen, it is possible that having monetary prizes would induce users to cheat via PMs (things like: if you throw the game I will split my win with you, etc).

While in theory, it might be a good idea, I am not on board with it - I feel that an actual prize takes away from the Forum Mafia feel by making some people too competitive.
"The Hardest Game to Win is a Won Game"

~~ Emanuel Lasker ~~

Mystery Link
LordofFail
[Forum Mafia I] Winner
[Forum Mafia I] Winner

Postby iggyvolz » Tue May 20, 2014 6:19 pm

The flip side of this is that people may be enticed to not defend themselves. We've seen a few times in the current games citizens who don't defend themselves at all because "eh... I'm just a citizen". I don't know about monetary prizes... maybe something like you get to design an outfit or backdrop for Town of Salem?
Greatest failures/shitshows:
iggyvolz
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby Guzame » Tue May 20, 2014 6:32 pm

I've been thinking about it some more, and I believe that it's better not to have any prizes with a monetary value for now.

In a game like this, cheating is possible, and this would cause people to cheat by talking to other players or even by joining with people they know to give themselves an advantage.

Having something to motivate players to win is good, yes. But I feel like the title and having your name immortalised in the game thread is reward enough for now. If you have extra money to spend, donate it to the game to help with development. :lol:
Guzame
Jailor
Jailor

Postby PoisonMaid » Tue May 20, 2014 6:55 pm

LordofFail wrote:I do not really like this idea and I will not be using it in the game that I will be hosting.

This is for the simple reason that from past experience I have seen that when actual monetary prizes are involved, people can get uber-competitive and it can take away from the game experience.

And how would you give the cards? Would that not require a postal address (not to mention the cost of international mail!)

And a final point, while I doubt it would happen, it is possible that having monetary prizes would induce users to cheat via PMs (things like: if you throw the game I will split my win with you, etc).

While in theory, it might be a good idea, I am not on board with it - I feel that an actual prize takes away from the Forum Mafia feel by making some people too competitive.

No just give them the code on the back.
But yeah I agree about the competitiveness 100%. I thought about it AFTER the post. I won't be doing it.
Don't worry, I was going to ask admins, I just wanted to hear opinions.
I just wanted to do an event one. Not do it all the time, but you know every now and then<3

But since this is a no go, what do you think of a raffle? I can have people join a raffle then give away. I don't know, I want to do some event thing though <3
<3
PoisonMaid
Disguiser
Disguiser

Postby TurdPile » Tue May 20, 2014 7:24 pm

If you take away the "fun" and make it "competitive", there is bound to be cheating. Unfortunate, but that's the way it is when you go on a trust-based system.
I have mostly rescinded my role as Admin.

All previous contact should instead be redirected to Flavorable.

If your inquiry doesn't directly have to do with Trial 2.0 or TrialBot, then please refrain from messaging.

Thank you.
TurdPile
Vampire
Vampire

Postby TheThief » Tue May 20, 2014 7:37 pm

If you want it from a player's perspective, I think that giving prizes will definitely cause cheating.

If you do this, don't go too big. Just do something that doesn't cost money or anything.

Examples:
-If they win, you can to help them create a role that might be in the next forum mafia.
(I have no other examples, so...)
A gay man who appreciates the artistic value in innuendos and bad jokes.
TheThief
[Forum Mafia II] Winner
[Forum Mafia II] Winner

Postby PoisonMaid » Tue May 20, 2014 7:45 pm

Yes I know.
I've already thrown this idea out the door.
Thinking about doing a raffle off.
I'll post about it later, going to ask for permission ;)
<3
PoisonMaid
Disguiser
Disguiser

Return to FM Discussion