Discussion of Behavior Moderation

Talk about Forum Mafia feedback, suggestions, etc here.

Moderators: Varanus, FM Game Moderators

Re: Discussion of Behavior Moderation

Postby orangeandblack5 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:51 pm

lemonader666 wrote:Retard is a slur now? I thought it was just used as a synonym to idiot or moron here?

I get the feeling that's the issue my dude
Image
Spoiler:
SwampRabbit wrote:your idea is that no town should ever be able to confirm themselves as town.

that is the dumbest idea I think I have heard.

ElderSivart wrote:I'm confused as to why BMG made a UI for Pirate and not Hypnotist.

Sarah Thorpe wrote:Role Ideas is great for masochists.
User avatar
orangeandblack5
Halloween 2017 Winner
Halloween 2017 Winner
 
Posts: 5705
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:24 pm
Location: University of Michigan

Re: Discussion of Behavior Moderation

Postby ScorpioDiAngelo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:41 am

So. You guys have consistently been so horrible that now the moderators have to slap you on the wrist. What a time to be alive.
So yeah. Turns out that I'm not alright. Go figure.

Btw if I start acting really strange it's probably not me so just like ignore it.
ScorpioDiAngelo
Amnesiac
Amnesiac
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:05 pm
Location: Idk. Dead maybe?

Re: Discussion of Behavior Moderation

Postby orangeandblack5 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:54 am

I mean, I haven't been here to see how big of an issue this is, but

A - Chemist was not a mod when he made this post

B - That's literally the reason there are moderators

So I don't really see your point lol
Image
Spoiler:
SwampRabbit wrote:your idea is that no town should ever be able to confirm themselves as town.

that is the dumbest idea I think I have heard.

ElderSivart wrote:I'm confused as to why BMG made a UI for Pirate and not Hypnotist.

Sarah Thorpe wrote:Role Ideas is great for masochists.
User avatar
orangeandblack5
Halloween 2017 Winner
Halloween 2017 Winner
 
Posts: 5705
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:24 pm
Location: University of Michigan

Re: Discussion of Behavior Moderation

Postby SparkingJay » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:38 am

Is it ok if I call myself retarded, I probably do that often

Image
User avatar
SparkingJay
Investigator
Investigator
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:35 am
Location: UK

Re: Discussion of Behavior Moderation

Postby Chemist1422 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:39 am

SparkingJay wrote:Is it ok if I call myself retarded, I probably do that often

theoretically

but preferably we phase that out as well
mist ~ she/they
User avatar
Chemist1422
FM Game Moderator
FM Game Moderator
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:39 pm
Location: on the beach at dusk (CST/CDT)

Re: Discussion of Behavior Moderation

Postby dolphina » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:47 am

Chemist1422 wrote:
SparkingJay wrote:Is it ok if I call myself retarded, I probably do that often

theoretically

but preferably we phase that out as well

Theoretically I'm allowed to call everyone here a dumbass
Hi. I'm Kokichi Oma, and you're watching Disney Channel.


My Discord server
(yes, Heli, I have discord now.)
My favorite DR female
My favorite DR male

(No, I don't ship these two, before you ask. Kindly shut the fuck up.)
PM me for my Discord!
User avatar
dolphina
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:33 pm
Location: Becoming one with Kokichi Oma

Re: Discussion of Behavior Moderation

Postby 0verki11 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:36 pm

are we planning on phasing out the word "lynch" at some point?
Other sites are doing this and its probably one of those things that its better to get onto sooner rather than later if we choose to do so.
If you need a replacement for an FM or most Forum games, PM me, and ill see if I can replace in.
If you want my discord PM me.
UTC+13 or something is my timezone.


Image
User avatar
0verki11
Medium
Medium
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:29 am
Location: Somewhere in NZ trying to get a good internet connection

Re: Discussion of Behavior Moderation

Postby Chemist1422 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:41 pm

0verki11 wrote:are we planning on phasing out the word "lynch" at some point?
Other sites are doing this and its probably one of those things that its better to get onto sooner rather than later if we choose to do so.

This hasn't been an official discussion to my knowledge but my assumption is no, given that the ToS game itself uses it

However it's a personal decision for everyone
mist ~ she/they
User avatar
Chemist1422
FM Game Moderator
FM Game Moderator
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:39 pm
Location: on the beach at dusk (CST/CDT)

Re: Discussion of Behavior Moderation

Postby SparkingJay » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:56 pm

0verki11 wrote:are we planning on phasing out the word "lynch" at some point?
Other sites are doing this and its probably one of those things that its better to get onto sooner rather than later if we choose to do so.

Lynch just means a mob hanging someone for an offence, what snowflakery is going on here.

Image
User avatar
SparkingJay
Investigator
Investigator
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:35 am
Location: UK

Re: Discussion of Behavior Moderation

Postby Chemist1422 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:03 pm

SparkingJay wrote:
0verki11 wrote:are we planning on phasing out the word "lynch" at some point?
Other sites are doing this and its probably one of those things that its better to get onto sooner rather than later if we choose to do so.

Lynch just means a mob hanging someone for an offence, what snowflakery is going on here.

snowflake is a stupid term used by people as an excuse to not take others' emotions into consideration

"lynch" has a lot of racial connotations in america that make people uncomfortable so it's being phased out
mist ~ she/they
User avatar
Chemist1422
FM Game Moderator
FM Game Moderator
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:39 pm
Location: on the beach at dusk (CST/CDT)

Re: Discussion of Behavior Moderation

Postby SparkingJay » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:14 pm

I'm aware that the connotations link to the KKK, the word itself would be deemed racist depending on the context in which the word was used which rarely goes down the racial path in Mafia.

If people are uncomfortable due to reminders of the events that transpired during those times then I guess it is fine.

Image
User avatar
SparkingJay
Investigator
Investigator
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:35 am
Location: UK

Re: Discussion of Behavior Moderation

Postby orangeandblack5 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:42 pm

It's a really America-focused change, so if you aren't in that country I can totally understand why it would seem to be unreasonable

For us however it's pretty recent history so I can see why some sites are moving away
Image
Spoiler:
SwampRabbit wrote:your idea is that no town should ever be able to confirm themselves as town.

that is the dumbest idea I think I have heard.

ElderSivart wrote:I'm confused as to why BMG made a UI for Pirate and not Hypnotist.

Sarah Thorpe wrote:Role Ideas is great for masochists.
User avatar
orangeandblack5
Halloween 2017 Winner
Halloween 2017 Winner
 
Posts: 5705
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:24 pm
Location: University of Michigan

Re: Discussion of Behavior Moderation

Postby JacksonVirgo » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:24 pm

0verki11 wrote:are we planning on phasing out the word "lynch" at some point?
Other sites are doing this and its probably one of those things that its better to get onto sooner rather than later if we choose to do so.

Oh god not here too, I don't really see the reason

On-site FM Record: 8-0-10
Spoiler: Latest Town Game: XX7 - Tracker/Detective/Sheriff/Lookout - Win
Latest Scum Game: 20H - Caporegime/Janitor - Loss
Latest Neutral Game: SFM72 - Failed Assassin - Win
Last updated 20.07.20 AEST


User avatar
JacksonVirgo
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:00 am
Location: Australia (AEST)

Re: Discussion of Behavior Moderation

Postby JacksonVirgo » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:26 pm

JacksonVirgo wrote:
0verki11 wrote:are we planning on phasing out the word "lynch" at some point?
Other sites are doing this and its probably one of those things that its better to get onto sooner rather than later if we choose to do so.

Oh god not here too, I don't really see the reason

Just read the posts after and saw it's an american based thing I have no idea about because I'm not american. Apologies if I did a bad, though why exactly is it getting banned in places like MS. I don't fully understand and if someone could inform me that'd be gucci

On-site FM Record: 8-0-10
Spoiler: Latest Town Game: XX7 - Tracker/Detective/Sheriff/Lookout - Win
Latest Scum Game: 20H - Caporegime/Janitor - Loss
Latest Neutral Game: SFM72 - Failed Assassin - Win
Last updated 20.07.20 AEST


User avatar
JacksonVirgo
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:00 am
Location: Australia (AEST)

Re: Discussion of Behavior Moderation

Postby JacksonVirgo » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:35 pm

Words generally shouldn't be banned except for very rare cases where words do not have a second meaning. For example, the word "Retard" shouldn't be banned as it's essentially a synonym for words like "Stupid". Using words in a slur should definitely be punishable by death but simply using the word should definitely not. As I remember SparkingJay saying... if you say "I am retarded" it would have a completely different meaning to it than saying "Your entire family is retarded". One is a joking way of saying that you did something dumb and the second is a complete ass death sentence. Feel free to whack me with education if I am being stupid but that's where I see it.

Also the word lynch isn't used as a derogitory term regarding what the American issue is with it that I am unaware of so it shouldn't be banned in the context of a Town trying to get the Mafia.

On-site FM Record: 8-0-10
Spoiler: Latest Town Game: XX7 - Tracker/Detective/Sheriff/Lookout - Win
Latest Scum Game: 20H - Caporegime/Janitor - Loss
Latest Neutral Game: SFM72 - Failed Assassin - Win
Last updated 20.07.20 AEST


User avatar
JacksonVirgo
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:00 am
Location: Australia (AEST)

Re: Discussion of Behavior Moderation

Postby Chemist1422 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:43 pm

You lose nothing by not using the r-word and as has already been brought up (i think i failed the grammar of this but oh well) it is a slur which has a specific offensive meaning to a group of people, who may be the people you're addressing. Plus even if someone isn't part of that group, people (myself included) are still going to be uncomfortable with it.

Again, lynch is probably not going to be banned, it's a personal preference, but it does have connotations that might make some people uncomfortable.
mist ~ she/they
User avatar
Chemist1422
FM Game Moderator
FM Game Moderator
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:39 pm
Location: on the beach at dusk (CST/CDT)

Re: Discussion of Behavior Moderation

Postby Chemist1422 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:06 pm

would prefer if this thread was kept at least mostly serious
mist ~ she/they
User avatar
Chemist1422
FM Game Moderator
FM Game Moderator
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:39 pm
Location: on the beach at dusk (CST/CDT)

Re: Discussion of Behavior Moderation

Postby JacksonVirgo » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:08 pm

Underneath Flake's jokes I see communism.. I mean logic.
What even happened to freedom of speech lol

On-site FM Record: 8-0-10
Spoiler: Latest Town Game: XX7 - Tracker/Detective/Sheriff/Lookout - Win
Latest Scum Game: 20H - Caporegime/Janitor - Loss
Latest Neutral Game: SFM72 - Failed Assassin - Win
Last updated 20.07.20 AEST


User avatar
JacksonVirgo
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:00 am
Location: Australia (AEST)

Re: Discussion of Behavior Moderation

Postby Brilliand » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:19 pm

Chemist1422 wrote:"lynch" has a lot of racial connotations in america that make people uncomfortable so it's being phased out


I'm an American and this confuses the hell out of me.

"Lynching" is a criminal act because it's vigilante justice. It refers to a group of ordinary citizens taking it upon themselves to kill someone who they think should be considered a criminal, regardless of what the actual legal system says.

Just because there was a group called the KKK who thought it should be a crime to be black without being a slave doesn't mean the word "lynch" refers to anything racial.

Chemist1422 wrote:an excuse to not take others' emotions into consideration


I mean if someone is having an emotional reaction over something that indirectly reminds them of something bad, you have to explain to them that it doesn't actually mean the bad thing, not decide that the word must obviously mean that bad thing because someone felt like it did.

There will always be ways to indirectly remind people of something bad. Trying to sanitize all references to a memory, without removing the memory itself, is futile.
My best role ideas:
Conqueror
Apocalypse Survivor
User avatar
Brilliand
Disguiser
Disguiser
 
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:34 pm

Re: Discussion of Behavior Moderation

Postby Chemist1422 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:34 pm

I might get to this on more detail tomorrow but it's not just one group, it's been happening for a long time and is still happening in modern times. If you looked it up you would find examples from probably the past month (citation needed). It's still a relevant racial issue today so some people might be uncomfortable referring to it

I'm not sure why I'm even bothering to argue this because I'm not even in favor of banning it, but

And that's not particularly what I was referring to, I just hate snowflake as a term because I've been called it in the past over getting emotional over things and really disliked it so that's a personal bias of mine
mist ~ she/they
User avatar
Chemist1422
FM Game Moderator
FM Game Moderator
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:39 pm
Location: on the beach at dusk (CST/CDT)

Re: Discussion of Behavior Moderation

Postby dolphina » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:04 pm

GOD NO I WOULD WILLINGLY SACRIFICE MYSELF BEFORE THAT SHIT HAPPENED
Hi. I'm Kokichi Oma, and you're watching Disney Channel.


My Discord server
(yes, Heli, I have discord now.)
My favorite DR female
My favorite DR male

(No, I don't ship these two, before you ask. Kindly shut the fuck up.)
PM me for my Discord!
User avatar
dolphina
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:33 pm
Location: Becoming one with Kokichi Oma

Re: Discussion of Behavior Moderation

Postby TheDebil » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:11 am

i also want to ban the word wagon because people from the baltics were transported to siberia using wagons to die there and the word makes me uncomfortable

like i get it

but its a stretch to even think about the racial thing
┌( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)=ε/̵͇̿/’̿’̿ ̿
User avatar
TheDebil
St. Patrick's 2019 Winner
St. Patrick's 2019 Winner
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:16 am
Location: Location:

Re: Discussion of Behavior Moderation

Postby Varanus » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:13 am

0verki11 wrote:are we planning on phasing out the word "lynch" at some point?
Other sites are doing this and its probably one of those things that its better to get onto sooner rather than later if we choose to do so.

If this were any other website, I would have started the discussion in mod chat quite a while ago to phase the word out

However, due to ToS being based off of the Salem witch trials (which by themselves were horrific acts), my personal opinion is that the context of the usage is shifted away from being racial in connotation, and there is little purpose in changing it while we are using this website.
You were expecting a decent signature...

BUT IT WAS ME! DIO!
User avatar
Varanus
FM Lead Moderator
FM Lead Moderator
 
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:08 am
Location: Lurking

Re: Discussion of Behavior Moderation

Postby Brilliand » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:56 am

Chemist1422 wrote:And that's not particularly what I was referring to, I just hate snowflake as a term because I've been called it in the past over getting emotional over things and really disliked it so that's a personal bias of mine


Yeah that's fair. I can definitely agree that the insult "snowflake" is dumb. It seems to be one of those insults that doesn't actually have a meaning, just a connotation.

I'd probably feel the same as you if I had ever had the word used against me (but I have had other similarly stupid insults applied to me, so I definitely get where you're coming from).
My best role ideas:
Conqueror
Apocalypse Survivor
User avatar
Brilliand
Disguiser
Disguiser
 
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:34 pm

Re: Discussion of Behavior Moderation

Postby ScorpioDiAngelo » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:55 am

The fact that all of these people are so salty over being asked to simply not use certain words is very telling of their world views. I, personally, am a white man. I have no reason to be offended by the n-slur. But I am a human being with the basic ability to empathize with others, so when I started to realize how that word hurts certain groups, I stopped using it. I didn't say "Well "n-slur" actually just means a trashy person. It's like "white-trash" for colored people. Why? Because regardless of my personal opinions, if a human being with thoughts and feel8ngs comes to me and explains that certain words or actions have a very negative impact on them, it's literally the easiest thing in the world to stop using that word.

On the other hand, the f-slur is extremely offensive and triggering to me on a personal level. Not only because of it's homophobic and hateful connotations; but because I have personal and traumatic experiences surrounding that word. Don't pretend like it's a huge burden to simply not use certain words when people simply want to be able to play a game or talk with people without being constantly reminded of horrible experiences in their own life.

Shame on you if you think that your "freedom" to use a certain word is more important than everyone else's freedom to be safe and happy. That is all.
So yeah. Turns out that I'm not alright. Go figure.

Btw if I start acting really strange it's probably not me so just like ignore it.
ScorpioDiAngelo
Amnesiac
Amnesiac
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:05 pm
Location: Idk. Dead maybe?

PreviousNext

Return to FM Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests