[Newcomer FM] NFM54 | Xalerion the GOAT

The threads where you play mafia will be posted here.

Moderators: Varanus, FM Game Moderators

Re: [Newcomer FM] NFM54 | Xalerion the GOAT

Postby Exacerbated » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:11 pm

Xalerion did an excellent job avoiding obvious ties to his buddies but he kinda showed his true colors in MYLO. All of a sudden, his dispassionate, distanced tone started becoming more perky and excited because he was about to win. Also he tried shading Jamezbeast even though he had an NS check on him, and the way he approached it made it look like he was trying to increase ML equity.
Image Hog Out Or Log Out Image
Exacerbated
Disguiser
Disguiser

Postby Exacerbated » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:13 pm

But all of that is hindsight bias and I may have overlooked him myself, even if I was still playing
Exacerbated
Disguiser
Disguiser

Postby Jamezbeast » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:21 pm

My problem in MyLo was I genuinely felt it could be anyone, I tend to get real paranoid at certain points in games and pick up on things I shouldn't.

Like, notice how fwog shaded me on the last day, and how Gabby completely shut down my attempt to bait Xal into claiming non-cit.

In hindsight, I should've forced a NoLynch, as Gabby, fwog and Xal would've had a far more "pure" argument and whilst it may well have come to the wrong conclusion I feel we'd have had more chance of lynching Xal without me alive.

I was actually really tempted to vote fwog in the later points of the day because they just sounded really fake to me. But Xal would probably not have crossed my mind, UNLESS he chose not to kill me that night and we NoLynched, but I fully believe he would've killed me.
Jamezbeast
[Forum Mafia XVII] Winner

Postby Exacerbated » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:22 pm

Jamezbeast wrote:My problem in MyLo was I genuinely felt it could be anyone, I tend to get real paranoid at certain points in games and pick up on things I shouldn't.

Like, notice how fwog shaded me on the last day, and how Gabby completely shut down my attempt to bait Xal into claiming non-cit.

In hindsight, I should've forced a NoLynch, as Gabby, fwog and Xal would've had a far more "pure" argument and whilst it may well have come to the wrong conclusion I feel we'd have had more chance of lynching Xal without me alive.

I was actually really tempted to vote fwog in the later points of the day because they just sounded really fake to me. But Xal would probably not have crossed my mind, UNLESS he chose not to kill me that night and we NoLynched, but I fully believe he would've killed me.

If you're confirmed in 4P MYLO then it is correct to force a lynch because you require 3 votes to lynch instead of 2 which makes it harder for scum to quickhammer.
Exacerbated
Disguiser
Disguiser

Postby Exacerbated » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:23 pm

Jamezbeast wrote:My problem in MyLo was I genuinely felt it could be anyone, I tend to get real paranoid at certain points in games and pick up on things I shouldn't.

I think the difference between fwog and Xal was how they approached shading you.
Exacerbated
Disguiser
Disguiser

Postby Exacerbated » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:24 pm

Which, to be honest, I don't expect newer players to be able to tell the difference between a Town earnestly expressing doubt and a Scum just trying to muddy the waters.

Hell, even experienced players struggle with that.
Exacerbated
Disguiser
Disguiser

Postby Exacerbated » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:27 pm

TBH I'm the #1 reason why town lost this game, I second guessed myself and I'm 80% of the reason why day 2 ended in a game-losing NO LYNCH.
Exacerbated
Disguiser
Disguiser

Postby Jamezbeast » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:38 pm

A NoLynch D5 would've been the best option as it would mean (assuming I died) that there would be no "easy option" for anyone to sheep, forcing everyone to think for themselves. Because on D5 I essentially had 3 votes; anyone who I wanted lynch would happen. A D6 with only fwog, Xal and Gabby gives everyone a much more similar vote strength; fwogs vote being likely the strongest.
Jamezbeast

Postby Xalerion0 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:33 pm

Exacerbated wrote:Xalerion did an excellent job avoiding obvious ties to his buddies but he kinda showed his true colors in MYLO. All of a sudden, his dispassionate, distanced tone started becoming more perky and excited because he was about to win. Also he tried shading Jamezbeast even though he had an NS check on him, and the way he approached it made it look like he was trying to increase ML equity.

I disagree in regards to the perky and excited aspect, because the posts are all in how you interpret or read them. I hadn’t felt perky or excited, just like I hadn’t felt defensive in an earlier post when Gabby had commented on my exchange with MafiaMenace. I hadn’t been defensive because I hadn’t felt attacked, and I hadn’t been attacked. The reason for my posts were to try to subtly throw shade on MafiaMenace by trying to approach MafiaMenaces intentional omission of himself in a helpful manner while saying that even though doing that was somewhat suspicious, which I would’ve felt were I town, I didn’t necessarily believe he was maf, which would might further place him under consideration by others, especially since crimson had initially mentioned it and MafiaMenace has denied it. Once it seemed like MafiaMenace was becoming more vocal in regards to it and made insinuations, which I thought were pretty blatant, I responded as if he were trying to silence me, and once when it continued with no one else’s input I dropped it and let others read it as they would, but I hadn’t actually felt defensive. In the case of this perkiness and excitedness, it wasn’t that i was so or that it was related to being close to victory, as it could be argued both town and maf were close to victory and being close to something is like dying of thirst 5 ft from an oasis, doesn’t matter how close you are to something unless you actually reach it. I became more involved because there was more information, there were less people so it was more manageable, I was a target but not a primary target, the outcomes were limited, and there was nowhere for me to have much leeway or to stay impassive without risking a loss, which would have been the same case if I were town. It’s like grasshoppers and ants in a bugs life. There were less ants. The only difference is that even if I am an ant, I’ll still feel like the grasshopper in the next game. Admittedly, I’m not good at conveying tone, however. Most of the time, what I’m saying and what I’m feeling is drier than a desert.
The sweetness of victory and the bitterness of defeat are both alike a knife of dreams.
Xalerion0
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Xalerion0 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:40 pm

Exacerbated wrote:Xalerion did an excellent job avoiding obvious ties to his buddies but he kinda showed his true colors in MYLO. All of a sudden, his dispassionate, distanced tone started becoming more perky and excited because he was about to win. Also he tried shading Jamezbeast even though he had an NS check on him, and the way he approached it made it look like he was trying to increase ML equity.

I meant to say that in the shade thing, what I brought up was actually a legitimate question I had that I had even asked in maf chat, and since it was legitimate i brought it up in day chat too. Since gabby didn’t weigh in on that aspect it allowed jamez to try to explain himself and allowed me to support him further and even defend him against fwog somewhat because after that fwog remained critical of jamez, even after explanation it seemed. I think gabbys lack of meat in her posts and engagement in assisting those other than herself at the end is what helped me as well, which kind of drove the difference between herself and myself to be even more apparent.
Xalerion0
Executioner
Executioner

Postby ChubbyMooshroom9 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:43 pm

Exacerbated wrote:
Xalerion0 wrote:Thanks all, and good game. Any suggestions for me? It was a pleasure playing with you all. I woke up cause its storming and my dogs scared, but I'm about to crash like the thunder again. Feel free to PM me or DM me if this gets closed before I can check on it tomorrow/tonight.

You did a good job projecting town but those long paragraphs might turn some players off and they might tune you out instead of listening to what you have to say.

A little formatting and conciseness will help you a lot.

this is me irl tbh i read like one of your posts and just decided you were town
Varanus wrote:
Exacerbated wrote:Tbh the day 2 lynch was mostly mine/chubby's fault. I didn't spend enough time looking at Des's spew and chubby kinda played it lazy.

More yours than chubby, tbh
You keep pushing people for reasons that you should know aren't valid, and then the unfortunate timing on your replacement (which I know isn't your fault) left chubby in an awful position to try to defend himself

shouldve gone for the omgus defense smh
Varanus wrote:
ChubbyMooshroom9 wrote:
xUltiix wrote:Vigilante is the most dangerous thing to exist in nfm
Either a newbie is gonna misfire or a newbie is gonna be scummy and get misfired on

Anyway, gg xalerion you did well

In my defense I almost shot var

But I wanted more memes

I would have been shot if MM got lynched
F

ye

Hall of Fame
Spoiler:
Shino Thomson
Federico Decandia
Clayton (Briah)
Gebura Briah
ChubbyMooshroom9
FM Awards: Town
FM Awards: Town

Postby Fenraiser » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:25 am

Crimson97 wrote:That ending gave me NFM52 flashbacks.

Well congratulations to mafia, town misplayed a lot and really only caught mafia when it was obvious who they were,Fenraiser was the best townie and he didn't even talk. Also i learned that i'm a terrible doc and i healed disguiser twice, it should have been obvious that mafia would go for me N2 because i was the only one confirmed but i thought my D2 wasn't that good and they would prefer to go for a town leader.

I think you may be a little biased, but I guess I am too.

I would have loved to play during the day but alas that was not fated, and I applaud the scum for their performance. Congrats!

I chose Crimson to protect because she was a person with controversial reads or something like that (Zorua seemed too much of a ML to be NKed), and I kind of scumread Gabby and Exa.
deathofrats0808 wrote:
James wrote:DEATH! I JUST WANT ONE MORE BREATH!
CAAN YOOOU GRANT MEE ONE MOOOORE PLEEEEEEEEAAASE!?

All out of breath I'm afraid. I only have existential dread left.
Fenraiser
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Exacerbated » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:40 am

Fenraiser wrote:

Well congratulations to mafia, town misplayed a lot and really only caught mafia when it was obvious who they were,Fenraiser was the best townie and he didn't even talk. Also i learned that i'm a terrible doc and i healed disguiser twice, it should have been obvious that mafia would go for me N2 because i was the only one confirmed but i thought my D2 wasn't that good and they would prefer to go for a town leader.

I think you may be a little biased, but I guess I am too.

I would have loved to play during the day but alas that was not fated, and I applaud the scum for their performance. Congrats!

I chose Crimson to protect because she was a person with controversial reads or something like that (Zorua seemed too much of a ML to be NKed), and I kind of scumread Gabby and Exa.

Des basically spewed myself and Zorua town
Exacerbated
Disguiser
Disguiser

Postby Fenraiser » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:44 am

No, I meant that before I sent in my final night action I scumread you and Gabby as possible scumbuddies. :3 I wonder if I'll keep dying N1 as bodyguard though.
deathofrats0808 wrote:

Fenraiser
Veteran
Veteran

Postby fwogcarf » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:21 pm

I don't even know what half these terms mean XD
Spoiler: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1M79vYZu-WIKrW0WQ0pCISBq66DeBfSir5T7RCuy0OWY/edit?usp=sharing
We are creators of our own future

We are supporters of forces against despair

We defend against the evils of the world

We are guardians, we are strong
fwogcarf
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Crimson97 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:13 am

fwogcarf wrote:I don't even know what half these terms mean XD

Here's a list: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=13596. it's probably outdated because it was made back in 2014 but the most important terms are there.

Spoiler:
Crimson97
[Forum Mafia XVIII] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVIII] Winner

Postby Fenraiser » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:36 am

fwogcarf wrote:I don't even know what half these terms mean XD

You'll get used to them. Just ask really.
deathofrats0808 wrote:

Fenraiser
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Exacerbated » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:56 pm

The problem was 8 non voters day 3; very passive town. I was the only one who was even close to the right track but I foolishly reevaluated my read on Flake prematurely.
Exacerbated
Disguiser
Disguiser

Postby Fenraiser » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:43 pm

Can I get a cookie for being a good BG?
deathofrats0808 wrote:

Fenraiser
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Varanus » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:32 pm

Your reward was not actually having to play the game
You were expecting a decent signature...

BUT IT WAS ME! DIO!
Varanus
FM Lead Moderator
FM Lead Moderator

Postby Fenraiser » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:07 pm

Varanus wrote:Your reward was not actually having to play the game

Can I get a cookie the next time I die N1 by protecting someone as BG?
deathofrats0808 wrote:

Fenraiser
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Varanus » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:08 pm

The reward for dying is always not having to play the game

BUT IT WAS ME! DIO!
Varanus
FM Lead Moderator
FM Lead Moderator

Postby Varanus » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:08 pm

Varanus wrote:The reward for dying is always not having to play the game

I would like to request that people don't try to read into this too much

BUT IT WAS ME! DIO!
Varanus
FM Lead Moderator
FM Lead Moderator

Postby Fenraiser » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:09 pm

Oh so I get rewarded either way.
deathofrats0808 wrote:

Fenraiser
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Xalerion0 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:04 pm

Exacerbated wrote:

The problem was 8 non voters day 3; very passive town. I was the only one who was even close to the right track but I foolishly reevaluated my read on Flake prematurely.

I'm not certain what you're referring to when you say 8 non-votes day 3. Every day there was a lynch except for day 2, and day 2 was a no lynch, not due to lack of votes (only 2 didn't vote, with one of them being me, purposefully). The rest of the town was split between 4 individuals for lynch. Even if the only town who didn't vote had voted for the person with the majority of votes (meaning Fwog would have voted for MafiaMenace), they would've been voting to lynch town and there still would not have been enough votes (as it still would have only been 5/6 needed for majority). Chubby, I believe, later said that they would've shot Varanus if MafiaMenace had been lynched instead of shooting MafiaMenace. So, if I had voted with the majority and hammered, then mafia would've likely lost. My lack of voting was almost, if not, pivotal in a sense, but, more so, it was the lack of agreement between town as to who was suspicious and who to lynch. I disagree that it was a lack of inaction or a passive town, but rather an indecisive town, which I think lends credence to how well the mafia played overall (both Varanus and myself) and brings into consideration the quality of the arguments brought forth against all the targets that day (all town targets; no considerable agreement except a last ditch effort to lynch someone regardless of who by some) and the impact and trade-offs of the playstyles of those targeted and the methods used by the other players to evaluate those playstyles/targets, including accuracy, precision, and inherent value of the methods utilized in general. Even the post-discussion has been helpful in learning some more about what happened and why. Anyways, I think everyone did pretty well and it was a great learning experience for me. Thank you all for your kindness and help throughout and for providing me with the opportunity to learn from you all. Hopefully I'll retain what I've learned and be able to apply it successfully going forward.
Xalerion0
Executioner
Executioner

PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads