[Newcomer FM] NFM17 | Game Over [Mafia Wins!]

The threads where you play mafia will be posted here.

Moderators: Varanus, FM Game Moderators

Re: [Newcomer FM] NFM17 | Day 1 [Finally]

Postby 3cheersforidiots » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:46 am

About the mafia question earlier, I'd say it's easier to say that mafia altogether is a really strong bunch, and that in the long run, what matters is that they are the informed minority, and work like that together.

But as for which role can be the most annoying... Well, Janitor is really a pain because it's harder to determine which roles are still in the game after a cleaned kill, as well as determining who's lying and who isn't, and then there's the Consig, although, Consig itself only gives an edge to scum in information gathering, and of course Disguiser and Framer, who can mess up the results, but, and I'm not sure how many I'll surprise with this, but I think that Consort is probably the sneakiest scum role one can get. It's really easy to claim, easy to confirm, and can only be caught with a sheriff (which also goes for every other mafia).
~Trash

Sophisticatedly unsophisticated Sophie.

Other gamertags are papill0n and luciolebrillant, dependent on game launcher.

FM Record
3 - 4 - 0

ImageImage
3cheersforidiots
Lookout
Lookout

Postby 3cheersforidiots » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:47 am

Oh, and /pageget ayy
~Trash

FM Record
3 - 4 - 0

ImageImage
3cheersforidiots
Lookout
Lookout

Postby MaccaMania » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:57 am

I was waiting for that page get for so long :cry: :cry:

Anyways, welcome notCalm!
Sometimes it's nice to just watch the world BURN.

Forum Mafia Record: 8 - 10 - 0
Spoiler: Image
MaccaMania
[Forum Mafia XII] Winner
[Forum Mafia XII] Winner

Postby 3cheersforidiots » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:28 am

I was waiting for that page get for so long :cry: :cry:

*evil snicker*

Khm... Anyway. I've been meaning to ask this (so as to trigger some discussion as well), but how do you guys generally differentiate between scum trying to get towncred and a legit townie doing their thing?

Because I'd mostly rely on what I think was previous scummy/town-ish behaviour from the player, or I'd go through their ISO to determine if there's a possibility of scummy intent being in their words, but at the beginning, I find it hard to differentiate between genuine and fake. Although, I'd say scum may maybe likely to try to get towncred early in the game, simply because they want to have townreads on themselves. What are your thoughts on this?
~Trash

FM Record
3 - 4 - 0

ImageImage
3cheersforidiots
Lookout
Lookout

Postby Lexiam » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:39 am

Day 1 usually fill up with memes. so i wouldnt bother checking it. Unless in the case of NFM11 where jackoderp made a joke about being witch and he was the witch xD and day 2 he claimed witched
Don't mind me, Just watching games and playing anime
Naru2oo8: "please unbannerino"
Naru2008: "Deniederino." - Thread
Lexiam
Mayor
Mayor

Postby LordofFail » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:05 am

"The Hardest Game to Win is a Won Game"

~~ Emanuel Lasker ~~

Mystery Link
LordofFail
[Forum Mafia I] Winner
[Forum Mafia I] Winner

Postby Alzar » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:35 am

Re: Mafia question: I've always seen Janitor as the strongest role, since it can independently cause chaos. Consigliere has less direct impact and its information might not end up being used in consideration for a kill at all, while Janitor always makes it harder for the Town by wiping away their role and any last thoughts.

@MaccaMania: Nolynch isn't an objectively bad thing. There's been occasions where it worked, but it's usually more of a "we have no choice" thing, and I personally absolutely hate nolynching. Still, it can work.

@3cheersforidiots: Going to just say right now that I absolutely hate the "towncred grab" accusation. A lot of the time, it basically boils down to "This person is scum because they're trying too hard to look town". Still, it's an absolutely valid accusation and generally applies to someone who does a lot of "come on town, we can still win!!" without any real substance or thought behind their posts. You're basically looking for someone who's saying one thing, but not acting like they believe in it or actually care what happens to the Town. Say, someone who repeatedly bangs on about how mislynching is bad, yet always goes to push lynches without actually voting on them. Real examples usually aren't that clear, but I hope you get what I mean. Does that make sense?
Spoiler: FM Record Image
Click here if you like crime games/text RPGs.
A reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely.
Alzar
FM Logo Winner
FM Logo Winner

Postby Alzar » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:39 am

@Fellow ICs: Would it be a good or bad idea to just give a quick rundown to everyone of our playstyles and contrasting schools of thought? Given recent outside discussion, I think it'd be a good idea to not get caught up in the whole echo chamber thing and to introduce ourselves as players to any new people.
Alzar
FM Logo Winner
FM Logo Winner

Postby JazzMusicStops » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:40 am

Alzar wrote:@Fellow ICs: Would it be a good or bad idea to just give a quick rundown to everyone of our playstyles and contrasting schools of thought? Given recent outside discussion, I think it'd be a good idea to not get caught up in the whole echo chamber thing and to introduce ourselves as players to any new people.

I don't know how to describe my playstyle other than "kinda bad"

Spoiler: I'm probably just going to lurk forever, posting occasionally
But if there ever comes a point where my account speaks its last
Know that it was a pleasure to be here, especially in Forum Games
During my teenage years, this place was my first real community
Thank you all so much for playing silly games with me
I'll never forget you
JazzMusicStops
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Alzar » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:46 am

That's cute, but you're supposed to be helpful right now. :p
Alzar
FM Logo Winner
FM Logo Winner

Postby JazzMusicStops » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:47 am

Alzar wrote:That's cute, but you're supposed to be helpful right now. :p

shit

Spoiler: I'm probably just going to lurk forever, posting occasionally
But if there ever comes a point where my account speaks its last
Know that it was a pleasure to be here, especially in Forum Games
During my teenage years, this place was my first real community
Thank you all so much for playing silly games with me
I'll never forget you
JazzMusicStops
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Lexiam » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:02 am

I don't know my playstyle as town or witch. since i been those 2 roles, i think my playstyle sucks
Lexiam
Mayor
Mayor

Postby Alzar » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:06 am

That's fine, playstyles take time to develop and evolve. My question was more directed at those of us who've been in enough games to have a definite playstyle and know how their approachto the game differs from others.
Alzar
FM Logo Winner
FM Logo Winner

Postby Lexiam » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:12 am

I haven't been part of the mafia yet in my finished games. so i wonder how my playstyle that gonna be. in the future i will see how me beig mafia works out for me
Lexiam
Mayor
Mayor

Postby FMLSheWas12 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:13 am

3cheersforidiots wrote:I've been meaning to ask this (so as to trigger some discussion as well), but how do you guys generally differentiate between scum trying to get towncred and a legit townie doing their thing?

What I identify to discern scum opting for towncred and genuine town is how productive they are on the long-run afterwards.

For example, PbPA is flashy on paper but if done improperly can be a horrendous waste of time. If the player is analyzing walls of posts with the impression they've already had a strong conclusion from the beginning of the ISO examination it is a major red flag. The truth is being stretched, intentional or unintentional. It's rather difficult to pinpoint the lawful players immediately, typically the build-up done with obtained credibility is telling.

In short those who enter with a clear mind can at least be reassured to have no unseen external bias.

A few cover-tells might be arguments loosely revolving around assumptions and game mechanic discussion that doesn't really help our knowledge or win cons. They're not always accurate though, I find town players trying to take charge can easily fit in with the mix.

Alzar wrote:@Fellow ICs: Would it be a good or bad idea to just give a quick rundown to everyone of our playstyles and contrasting schools of thought? Given recent outside discussion, I think it'd be a good idea to not get caught up in the whole echo chamber thing and to introduce ourselves as players to any new people.

I'll go along but 100% biased guaranteed for your money back. And you die N1 so often you don't have a "definite play-style." (^:
FM Star Collection
Spoiler:
Trolled by the League of Losers
Spoiler:
FMLSheWas12
Consort
Consort

Postby Alzar » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:14 am

fiGHT ME RN

although its true that ive never survived past n2 as mafia.... ;-;
Alzar
FM Logo Winner
FM Logo Winner

Postby LordofFail » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:50 am

Sure.

I tend to meme around a lot on Day 1, and then get more serious later on. I play based on logical analysis and read players using as few meta arguments as possible. In an ideal situation, I take the game as an isolated system and ignore all past encounters with others (from past games) when building my argument for a townread / scumread. Of course, there are sometimes exceptions for people who play scummy town playstyles.

I am more passive and conservative then most other players, but I always explain my reads using logical reasoning. This does not mean my reads are always right, mind you, so just because I scumread someone does not mean you should sheep along with it. I do not consider myself to be great at reading people, and when I make reads it is often for the purpose of creating discussion rather then making an accusation. When I accuse someone of being scum, I single them out, but when I make reads, it is to give everyone something to discuss, especially if I have some reads that people do not agree with.
"The Hardest Game to Win is a Won Game"

~~ Emanuel Lasker ~~

Mystery Link
LordofFail
[Forum Mafia I] Winner
[Forum Mafia I] Winner

Postby Alzar » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:58 am

This is going to be a thing, cool.

I'm one of the more traditionally aggressive players, and I often prefer my own reads over relying on mechanics like investigation or PoE to do the job for me. I don't care much for massclaiming or nolynching, as I believe I've said before. I usually state my gut accusations before compiling a full case, so if you're wondering for more in-depth reasoning for my reads, just ask. I'm willing to give scummy people the benefit of the doubt, considering that this is an NFM, but I believe that the ultimate goal of an NFM is to improve as a player, not to be handled with kid gloves.

Most of my posts will probably be short and to the point. I dislike reading and writing walls when my time could be used for better things, like conveying my thoughts clearly and concisely.
Alzar
FM Logo Winner
FM Logo Winner

Postby FMLSheWas12 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:03 am

Now that I'm self-reflecting, not entirely positive how to describe my play-style. Aside from being patronized for using "big words" sometimes. And that I target tunnel a lot, but I'll renounce harsh interrogation for the time being as it's probably not healthy in NFM.
FM Star Collection
Spoiler:
Trolled by the League of Losers
Spoiler:
FMLSheWas12
Consort
Consort

Postby JuliaC » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:37 pm

Alright. I may have read the rules, but I don't know what would be my future doubts lol. I'll try asking it out when I do have found one :P
JuliaC
Witch
Witch

Postby Alzar » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:40 pm

You can always PM the mod or ask anything here if you have any questions. While the mod can't really help you if you want to know something like whether or not someone is considered a lynch target for the day, they can always explain any role interactions or mechanics that you aren't completely sure of.
Alzar
FM Logo Winner
FM Logo Winner

Postby JuliaC » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:45 pm

Alright. I understand about it. Thanks for that.
JuliaC
Witch
Witch

Postby ObiWan » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:20 pm

Spoiler: Image

Hey guys, so I'm your friendly neighborhood Jedi moderator for this game. If you have any questions about your role, or just a question you don't want to ask in the thread (Don't ask Alzar, he's a noob), feel free to send me a PM.

Just a quick little speech
This is not like TOS. Yes, some of the roles are the same and some of the mechanics (Lynching), but this is much slower paced.
Please always try to post at least once every 24 hours. Even if you can only do 1 meaty post, I'll be happy.

Also, there is no "trial" phase like in TOS. Once majority is reached on someone, they are lynched. I try to mention this every game now because someone got confused in the past.

Have fun and do your best!

Love,
Obi
This was not the scumslip you were looking for.

Alzar wrote:there is no such thing as a meta, forum mafia is a lie, we are products of a confused society

ObiWan
Vampire
Vampire

Postby Alzar » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:23 pm

i-im not a noob ;>;
Alzar
FM Logo Winner
FM Logo Winner

Postby 3cheersforidiots » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:26 pm

Quickly, I need one more post so that I can get the page 4 pageget and go to sleep finally
~Trash

FM Record
3 - 4 - 0

ImageImage
3cheersforidiots
Lookout
Lookout

PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads