Player Pronouns

Leave your suggestions about the game here!

Thoughts on this

Yes would like to be able to choose my own pronouns in the customization options screen.
41%
I would either like to choose my own pronouns in the CO screen or have the game only use gender neutral pronouns.
6%
Indifferent.
24%
No, I'm against any of the proposed changes and want things to stay as they are.
29%

Total votes : 34

Re: Player Pronouns

Postby eezstreet » Mon May 27, 2019 4:45 pm

woahah wrote:im on pro-pronouns but you're the one who used mansplain so this is on you

fuck
eezstreet
Spy
Spy

Aesthetics

Postby Villagerlover » Tue May 28, 2019 11:07 pm

Yeah why not.
It's just another fun aesthetic to mess around with, and I like changing up my interface often to keep ToS fresh. I'm sure there are plenty of others who do the same thing.

Anyone who thinks it's anything more than simple aesthetics is absurd.

/support
Wanna say somethin'? >B3
PM
Villagerlover
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby kyuss420 » Wed May 29, 2019 2:52 am

wow this thread still going? and they said it wouldnt cause any drama...
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby emslaya » Wed May 29, 2019 10:34 pm

kyuss420 wrote:wow this thread still going? and they said it wouldnt cause any drama...

I know. The sad thing is that this suggestion really shouldn't even be that controversial? It's just proposing that we be able to select whether the game refers to us as he/she/they/etc or having the game only use gender neutral terms when referring to a player in-game. It's really not that big of a deal and idk why some people seem to be incredibly against the proposal. It's just pretty disappointing imo. :ermm:

Villagerlover wrote:Yeah why not.
It's just another fun aesthetic to mess around with, and I like changing up my interface often to keep ToS fresh. I'm sure there are plenty of others who do the same thing.

Anyone who thinks it's anything more than simple aesthetics is absurd.

/support

"Anyone who thinks it's anything more than simple aesthetics is absurd."

This this this ^^^^^
It's just a simple aesthetics change that a lot of us would appreciate to see happen. Please don't overthink this.

(Sidenote: It's 100% possible and okay to support this and still want other changes more. Supporting this/being okay with this proposed change happening does not mean the other stuff you want to see changed won't happen as well.)
Join ToS Friends!

ToS Friends is a community of friendly folks who ❤️ Town of Salem. The server features opt-in lobby pings to fill your ToS games faster, (which is super helpful for filling certain gamemodes), & also often dabbles in party games like Jackbox, BGO, etc together!

Join & make more ToS Friends!: http://www.discord.gg/tosfriends

Disboard: http://www.disboard.org/server/709446612728021033
emslaya
Witch
Witch

Postby DaMuffin » Thu May 30, 2019 6:15 am

Good idea
DaMuffin
Witch
Witch

Postby Brilliand » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:57 pm

I think most people don't pay attention to the pronouns used.

Whether the game said "he" or "she" is forgettable, but I wouldn't want to see someone picking "gluepot" as their pronoun.

Letting players pick any pronouns besides the bog-standard "he", "she", and maybe "they" and "it" is asking for trouble. I don't mean trouble from actual transsexuals, I mean trouble from screwballs who want to make the start-of-day announcements confusing to read.

What I would be in favor of is having the game show players at the name selection screen which skin they'll be using, so that the players with their skin set to "random" can tell what the character they're naming will look like.

Also, it wouldn't hurt for BMG to add one or two skins with nonbinary pronouns, in a controlled fashion.

----

I seem to have completely skipped over the question of whether players should be allowed to pick a pronoun that doesn't match their skin. So, on that topic... I don't see the point. It wouldn't be very bad for that to be available, but I think it would annoy me if I noticed it at all, and I think it's the wrong solution to the problem it's trying to solve. (See above for what I think the right solution is.)
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Villagerlover » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:49 pm

Brilliand wrote:I seem to have completely skipped over the question of whether players should be allowed to pick a pronoun that doesn't match their skin. So, on that topic... I don't see the point. It wouldn't be very bad for that to be available, but I think it would annoy me if I noticed it at all, and I think it's the wrong solution to the problem it's trying to solve. (See above for what I think the right solution is.)

I agree that it's totally not okay to have the pronoun completely customizable cause I don't want to see a reportable/offensive name/slur get killed by mafia. It's stupid. It just allows more exploitation.

However, it's fine to have a set amount of pronouns completely customizable as long as they're limited within that range.

But look man. If it annoys you that I want to give a male skin a "she" pronoun in my game for the hell of it, then that's your problem. There is a certain freedom regarding aesthetics that would be fun for a lot of people. Myself included.
There are no "problems" to solve at all, it is simply more aesthetics to have fun with.
Wanna say somethin'? >B3
PM
Villagerlover
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Brilliand » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:01 pm

Villagerlover wrote:
Brilliand wrote:I seem to have completely skipped over the question of whether players should be allowed to pick a pronoun that doesn't match their skin. So, on that topic... I don't see the point. It wouldn't be very bad for that to be available, but I think it would annoy me if I noticed it at all, and I think it's the wrong solution to the problem it's trying to solve. (See above for what I think the right solution is.)

I agree that it's totally not okay to have the pronoun completely customizable cause I don't want to see a reportable/offensive name/slur get killed by mafia. It's stupid. It just allows more exploitation.

However, it's fine to have a set amount of pronouns completely customizable as long as they're limited within that range.

But look man. If it annoys you that I want to give a male skin a "she" pronoun in my game for the hell of it, then that's your problem. There is a certain freedom regarding aesthetics that would be fun for a lot of people. Myself included.
There are no "problems" to solve at all, it is simply more aesthetics to have fun with.

First two posters both seem to be bringing up problems.

But now i see that the OP specifically was hoping to set the pronoun to something that matches her RL gender, which... actually makes sense. Not sure why I forgot that. Custom-selectable pronouns apart from skins is a good way to handle that.

Villagerlover wrote:But look man. If it annoys you that I want to give a male skin a "she" pronoun in my game for the hell of it, then that's your problem.

But please, don't tell me I have no business complaining about things that annoy me. Being annoyed by things is the very foundation of complaining.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby MysticMismagius » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:53 am

For people like me who randomize their skins, the name I choose is far more important than the skin I get. If I name myself “Miles Edgeworth”, I want the pronouns to be male, regardless of what skin RNG happens to give me.

Showing the skin beforehand wouldn’t be much help, because A) that would dictate what kind of name I can make before the game starts, and B) it still provides no solution for when I want to name myself after characters with no official gender, which are coming into vogue lately.
MysticMismagius
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby CultureOfCritique » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:01 pm

No. The pronouns in-game are for your chosen character, not you. It would make no sense having a character show with the incorrect pronouns, which is why they've been fixed as bugs when it's been spotted before (such as Crusader showing as female).
CultureOfCritique
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Brilliand » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:46 pm

CultureOfCritique wrote:No. The pronouns in-game are for your chosen character, not you. It would make no sense having a character show with the incorrect pronouns, which is why they've been fixed as bugs when it's been spotted before (such as Crusader showing as female).

That's the way it works right now, but it also makes perfect sense that a real-life girl might want to keep being referred to as "she" despite dressing up in that awesome Crusader costume.

It's not like your skin is what your in-game character actually is - that's determined by your role card (which is secret, and may never be show to other players if you're i.e. cleaned or petrified).
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby MysticMismagius » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:42 pm

Brilliand wrote:
CultureOfCritique wrote:No. The pronouns in-game are for your chosen character, not you. It would make no sense having a character show with the incorrect pronouns, which is why they've been fixed as bugs when it's been spotted before (such as Crusader showing as female).
That's the way it works right now, but it also makes perfect sense that a real-life girl might want to keep being referred to as "she" despite dressing up in that awesome Crusader costume.

It's not like your skin is what your in-game character actually is - that's determined by your role card (which is secret, and may never be show to other players if you're i.e. cleaned or petrified).
Basically this. Who your "in-game character" is depends more on your name and role than your skin, especially if you randomize your skins like a lot of players do.
MysticMismagius
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Yemac » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:32 am

MysticMismagius wrote:
Brilliand wrote:

Basically this. Who your "in-game character" is depends more on your name and role than your skin, especially if you randomize your skins like a lot of players do.

But why does it matter if your pronoun is randomised if your skin is also randomised? If you want your pronoun to be matching your gender, why would skin not be a problem?
Yemac
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby MysticMismagius » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:26 am

Yemac wrote:
MysticMismagius wrote:
Brilliand wrote:

But why does it matter if your pronoun is randomised if your skin is also randomised? If you want your pronoun to be matching your gender, why would skin not be a problem?
Because I want the pronouns to match my name, and that doesn’t always happen.
MysticMismagius
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby CultureOfCritique » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:38 pm

If it's going to be added at all (which I've already expressed my disinterest in above), it should be on the name selection screen at least, not just customization. Maybe one wants to be Richard Stallman one game, and Chloe Price the next game WITHOUT having to visit the customization screen in-between games.
CultureOfCritique
Executioner
Executioner

Postby NightmareMoon » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:05 pm

tangentially related: since the "tamer of flames/frost/thunder" avatars are based on the pokémon go team leaders, and professor blanche has now been confirmed to use they/them pronouns, the pronouns for the "tamer of frost" avatar should be updated
in-game: megitsune, bird attorney, pigeon, nighttime moom, greem beam, ...

it/its pronouns, please
NightmareMoon
Donor
Donor

Postby MysticMismagius » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:14 pm

They are based on those leaders, but they aren't those leaders. Just because Blanche uses they/them doesn't necessarily mean Tamer of Frost does or should.
MysticMismagius
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby PleaseReadSiege » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:10 pm

/no support

Pick your pronouns by picking a skin. Want to be a guy? Great, pick John Hathorne, Warden, etc. Want to be a girl? Pick Betty Parris, poisoner, girl playing Pokemon GO, etc. This feature is already basically in the game.
PleaseReadSiege
Investigator
Investigator

Postby LevinSnakesRise » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:34 pm

Locking for necro.
Please contact BMG with any questions regarding your account issues;
support@blankmediagames.zendesk.com

Thanks.
LevinSnakesRise
Site Admin
Site Admin