The Solution to Leavers

Leave your suggestions about the game here!

The Solution to Leavers

Postby James2 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:11 pm

There are currently many proposed solutions to the leaver problem. The vast majority of them are idiotic.

The correct solution, which I have on numerous previous occasions proposed, to no avail, is to simply enact perfect deterrence. Anyone who leaves a game should be barred from joining a new one until that game ends. Implement this, and there will be no need to judge intentional vs. accidental leaving, design some super leaver buster system that does nothing, or whatever other bad idea is being floated.
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Re: The Solution to Leavers

Postby yummyporkchops » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:41 pm

Or even better, if someone leaves a game and tries joining a new one, they're redirected to the game they left from. Basically like a spectator mode, except they're unable to interact with any players ingame.
yummyporkchops
Witch
Witch

Postby Joacgroso » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:42 pm

Or maybe reconnect them if they haven't already died ingame.
Joacgroso wrote:I feel like I went from Light Yagami to Keiichi Maebara.

I still hope one day the game will have private lobbies. They would really help.
Also, please nerf vampire hunters.
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby yummyporkchops » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:49 pm

Joacgroso wrote:Or maybe reconnect them if they haven't already died ingame.

Yes. That's what I really want.
I remember reading a post moved under "Implemented Suggestions" about adding reconnect button for players that disconnect ingame.

Oh yeah, that was back in 2 0 1 6 .
yummyporkchops
Witch
Witch

Postby James2 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:56 pm

yummyporkchops wrote:Or even better, if someone leaves a game and tries joining a new one, they're redirected to the game they left from. Basically like a spectator mode, except they're unable to interact with any players ingame.

This is an excellent idea.
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Ben4lyfe » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:41 pm

Joacgroso wrote:Or maybe reconnect them if they haven't already died ingame.

Would that lead to more AFK people at night if there was re-connecting? I mean it's still a problem with people with dodgy internet connections. But I agree with James2's idea, it's a much better one than handing out huge bans for people leaving.
toz means fart in Arabic.

Just thought everyone should know.
Ben4lyfe
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby Joacgroso » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:03 pm

With the reconnect button, I guess visiting leavers should be available. The problem I see with this solution is that it will stop people who leave out of boredom from leaving, but it wouldn't really affect people who leave on purpose in order to troll. Although I guess people who want to troll would also do worse things that are indeed reportable.

I still hope one day the game will have private lobbies. They would really help.
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby James2 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:55 pm

Wrt to disconnects, the best solution would probably be for them to stay "alive" for 30 seconds or so in case they come back (hopefully Unity includes cookies that can keep a person logged in when they DC). Leaving DCs alive indefinitely would create an issue by effectively making them AFK.

People who leave to troll would also be impeded by this, to some extent, simply because they would be limited in the rate at which they could join and leave games.
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Joacgroso » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:22 pm

Of course, leavers should die the night they leave. Otherwise it would be too exploitable.

Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby James2 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:24 am

If DCs are given a grace period, they need to stay fully alive during that grace period. Letting someone become unvotable for any length of time and then come back would be exploitable.
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Soulshade55r » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:42 am

Not always going to work but a harsher punishment is always good.
Favourite Roles (To play)
Spoiler: Town: Jailor
Mafia: Consort
NE: Witch
NB: Guardian Angel
Coven: Necromancer
NC: Pirate
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby Kombinator1991 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:37 am

You technically give a short to long time "ban" from game. The reconnect would solve 2 problems however.

It would still force you to wait until you can play another game. Giving some "punishment" to those who simply leave to avoid certain role.

Game crashes, and network problems would no longer cause unintentional leavers. At least not for long.

How would reconnect system work:
Disconnected player gets marked so people know, that it's disconnected. It can still be visited, and killed like anyone else. Also disconnected players don't count for lynching number needs.

One more punishment which i would give. If you leave before 3. night while still alive, then whatever role you had will be marked, and when you join the same game mode the next time you will get a scroll effect to that role. This effect will persist until you play that role again without leaving. These enforced scrolls can be stacked. So you might leave to avoid a role, but soon you simply get it again. Rejoining, and finishing the game count as played (and "consumes" the enforced scroll) as long as you were in game at least 60% of the time when your character was alive. You can't get more than one scroll/game.
Kombinator1991
Transporter
Transporter

Postby James2 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:41 pm

If there's a grace period for DCs, people in the grace period need to be indistinguishable from AFK players. If you let DCs get specially marked AND rejoin the game, that would be abused (e.g. person gets jailed, refreshes page, jailor thinks its genuine so he lets them live, then they come back the next day).
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Postby StrahmDude » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:21 am

I think they should be treated as they are now, but should stay alive if they rejoin before the night ends. Otherwise, they are forced to watch. If anything, it stop evils from game throwing by leaving because people will still lynch them then just in case.

I do also like the enforcement scroll to force the people to play the roles. I know some people don't like maf, but by god bite the bullet and play a good game. Not to mention they will suffer the elo loss from quitting as that role AND be forced to play it again. I might even help with the flood the trial system faces.
StrahmDude
Doctor
Doctor

Return to Suggestions