Remove the stalemate detector

Leave your suggestions about the game here!

Remove the stalemate detector

Postby TheOnlyZac » Sun May 23, 2021 3:23 pm

I just played an almost perfect game as Jailor in all/any. I executed 2 mafia and the Werewolf, and even got the Flawless Executioner achievement.

In the end, it came down to me and the last mafioso. I was out of executes so all I could do was jail them. "Oh well," I thought, "I played well, so at least we'll get a draw and not a loss." But nope, after two nights of jailing them, the mafia was handed the win for no reason.

Here's the kicker: that mafioso had been AFK the entire game. They didn't say or do a single thing, and they still won. And me? I was berated in chat for being an idiot and letting them win. Now I remember why I stopped playing a few months ago.

What's the point of the stalemate detector again? I don't see the issue with letting games draw. Maybe leave it in just for Ranked, but in chaos modes it's a real punch in the gut.
TheOnlyZac

Re: Remove the stalemate detector

Postby SilverCruz » Sun May 23, 2021 3:47 pm

Here's my two cents.

Deadlocking shouldn't exist. If the Jailor couldn't deadlock by virtue of not roleblocking unless it successfully executes, then in that case if the Mafioso had been at the wheel he could've just shot you anyway.

So I call this a fair outcome.
I know what I'm doing, generally, but I have no grace at all when things start to spin out of control.

I'd like to address the latter part, but I wouldn't know the first thing about that.
SilverCruz
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby Joacgroso » Sun May 23, 2021 10:33 pm

The reason why you were flamed in dead chat is that the players in your game were jerks, not that the stalemate detector activated. The stalemate detector exists because waiting 3 days before the game ends in a draw isn't fun for anyone, though I must admit that its main purpose is avoiding ties because the devs don't like draws. I can understand why, since even in balanced gamemodes factions don't have the same chances of winning, so making it to the end with only one member alive doesn't mean that both teams played equally well.

It's a shame that you lost an all any game where you played perfectly, but I don't think you should complain about all any being unfair. That's kind of the point.
Joacgroso wrote:I feel like I went from Light Yagami to Keiichi Maebara.

I still hope one day the game will have private lobbies. They would really help.
Also, please nerf vampire hunters.
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby wozearly » Sun May 30, 2021 12:51 am

TheOnlyZac wrote:I just played an almost perfect game as Jailor in all/any. I executed 2 mafia and the Werewolf, and even got the Flawless Executioner achievement.

In the end, it came down to me and the last mafioso. I was out of executes so all I could do was jail them. "Oh well," I thought, "I played well, so at least we'll get a draw and not a loss." But nope, after two nights of jailing them, the mafia was handed the win for no reason.

Here's the kicker: that mafioso had been AFK the entire game. They didn't say or do a single thing, and they still won. And me? I was berated in chat for being an idiot and letting them win. Now I remember why I stopped playing a few months ago.

What's the point of the stalemate detector again? I don't see the issue with letting games draw. Maybe leave it in just for Ranked, but in chaos modes it's a real punch in the gut.

While you shouldn't have been flamed in dead chat (this wasn't your fault personally), Town sadly has a long and glorious habit of blaming and finger pointing and 20/20 hindsight vision. However, if Town collectively failed to lynch, shoot or execute a suspicious AFK player for the entire game and ended up in a 1v1 Jailor vs Mafioso (who could have woken up and stabbed you in the closing rounds, had the player been active), then Town has no right to declare itself a winner given it was effectively wiped out along the way, despite Mafia being 1 person short.
wozearly
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby James2 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:25 pm

TheOnlyZac wrote:I just played an almost perfect game as Jailor in all/any. I executed 2 mafia and the Werewolf, and even got the Flawless Executioner achievement.

Draws are an undesirable way for the game to end. It's fair for the Mafioso to win since, if draws did not exist and no one left, the Mafioso would eventually be able to kill the Jailor (once Jailor forgot to jail). Whereas the Jailor would never be able to kill the Mafioso.
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Return to Suggestions