Don't show that a player disconnected until next day

Leave your suggestions about the game here!

Don't show that a player disconnected until next day

Postby Dragnier » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:06 pm

Hey,

Currently, if a player disconnects / leaves the game the game will show an icon next to his name right away. With this, players know that this character is officially dead, and it will be a waste of time / resources to interact with that player for the rest of the day. At night, that player cannot be interacted with neither.

I believe if would be a good idea to not show that a player has disconnected / left the game until the end of the night phase, when all the deaths / night results are revealed to the survivors.

By doing this:
- A leaver will seem to be an afk player, or just someone that is not speaking. This will reduce the random lynching as a silent defense strategy will be more useful.
- Leavers can still be targeted during the night (instead of simply being discarded as a potential target because the player left during the day). This could result in wasting actions on leavers for all teams (Ex. healing a player that already left, killing a player that already left)
- Jailors will need to be extra careful executing on jail, as a player that doesn't respond could be someone that has disconnected.
- Potentially reduce leavers on Day1, at least those that are influenced by seeing other players leave.
- Eliminate the problem of executioner's target leaving to avoid being put on the stand. As long as the player was connected at the beginning of the day, he will remain "alive" until the end of that day even if the player DCs.

The idea is to make the game a little more difficult and realistic. If a player leaves during the day, it should be kept in a mystery to players until the next day, when all deaths are revealed.

Hope this is something than can be doable, and seems interesting to implement.
Dragnier
Witch
Witch

Re: Don't show that a player disconnected until next day

Postby kyuss420 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:46 am

silent defense strategy? Is that even a strat? I would lynch an afk player just so they cant block the votes at a later stage in the game.

Kind of agree with the rest tho, altho I think leavers should be removed from play at the end of the day phase, that way necronomicon can pass or a new mafioso can be promoted and the evil faction can carry on with their nightly kill.
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby OreCreeper » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:01 am

I don't think jailors or vigilantes should have guilt for killing a leaver though. From a lore perspective, it makes literally no sense that you would feel guilt for killing someone who has already committed suicide.

Actually, it would make more sense for people to know who left the game. I mean, if someone literally committed suicide on the spot, there's no way everyone else wouldn't notice.
OreCreeper
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:58 am

Stay silent on the stand/jailr shouldnt become a viable strategy, is like faking jester, lame and lazy

Although I agree in everything else
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby Scyobi » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:03 pm

I don't suppoert this, the way people who DC die from a lore pov is that they committed suicide and the icon is a noose, I'm 90% you can tell that the person you visit committed suicide.
Knight to C3
Scyobi

Postby Dragnier » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:53 am

Scyobi wrote:I don't suppoert this, the way people who DC die from a lore pov is that they committed suicide and the icon is a noose, I'm 90% you can tell that the person you visit committed suicide.

Still from a Lore Perspective, how a person that is tied on the stand and being questioned by the town can suicide? How a person being interrogated by the jailor can suicide in front of him? The icon is a noose, not a character swallowing his own tongue :mrgreen:

Currently if a player DCs (suicides) he or she won't talk nor interact until the following day, where his role is revealed to the town.
We are assuming that townies will ignore the death person during the day without asking any questions, and then "magically" they will gain interest on him at the next day, revealing his role at that time.

My suggestion is to keep everything a mystery until the next day where all deaths are revealed, and even though the player DCs during the day, lore wise he will suicide during the night, and only when a player tries to interact with him (wasting his effort for the night) his death will be revealed as a suicide, together with his role. Otherwise, it will be revealed at dawn together with other deaths discoveries.

OreCreeper wrote:I don't think jailors or vigilantes should have guilt for killing a leaver though. From a lore perspective, it makes literally no sense that you would feel guilt for killing someone who has already committed suicide.

Actually, it would make more sense for people to know who left the game. I mean, if someone literally committed suicide on the spot, there's no way everyone else wouldn't notice.

Agree. A jailor or vigi shouldn't be penalized for this. They could get the message that they tried to execute their target, but they discovered it was already dead! (only if they take the decision of executing/shooting, and doesn't count as one execution/shoot even if they select to). Of course, it won't show the message "shot by a Vigilante" or "Executed by the jailor" in that case neither, just that the player committed suicide. (But it stills keeps them occupied for that night)
Dragnier
Witch
Witch

Postby SilverCruz » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:50 pm

Mafia shouldn't commit suicide if they leave at all. Living Mafia should just be able to control quitters with "/q <quitter number> <target number/innocent/guilty>" commands (daytime it's a vote, nighttime it's their night ability), and they automatically report what they think happened if they survive to the next night. Less complicated to implement than a full on bot, and doesn't immediately decapitate the Mafia if someone leaves.
I know what I'm doing, generally, but I have no grace at all when things start to spin out of control.

I'd like to address the latter part, but I wouldn't know the first thing about that.
SilverCruz
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:25 pm

SilverCruz wrote:Mafia shouldn't commit suicide if they leave at all. Living Mafia should just be able to control quitters with "/q <quitter number> <target number/innocent/guilty>" commands (daytime it's a vote, nighttime it's their night ability), and they automatically report what they think happened if they survive to the next night. Less complicated to implement than a full on bot, and doesn't immediately decapitate the Mafia if someone leaves.

Its 10 times more complicated than the leaver thing, and while it may be a good thing to avoid mafia auto losing for a leaver, it is super complicated both to make and to learn to use
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby SilverCruz » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:49 pm

Just have a quit Mafia say a canned message at the start of the first night after it quits saying "type "/q <my number> <target number>" to make me visit somebody. During the day, this will make me vote instead, and you can use "/q <my number> [innocent/guilty]" to make me vote Innocent or Guilty.

This game will never pull itself together as long as its solution to someone quitting is "Guess they'll die.". And it's also still stupid how it's so against leaving in completely unwinnable situation. If you're a Medium and you know for a fact that the other two players are the Godfather and Serial Killer because it's Classic, you have no stake in what comes of them, I say you can just go.
I know what I'm doing, generally, but I have no grace at all when things start to spin out of control.

I'd like to address the latter part, but I wouldn't know the first thing about that.
SilverCruz
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby Joacgroso » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:53 am

I really don't like how this encourages people not to defend themselves on stand/jail, but if TKs are not punished from killing them I guess it's fine.
I guess controlling the leavers would work. It kinda feels like an unfair advantage for mafia, but I suppose reducing the impact of leavers is still good. It will be a bit complicated to implement, though. Also, who will control the leaver? The first mafia member who writes the command? The gf? A mayority vote?
Joacgroso wrote:I feel like I went from Light Yagami to Keiichi Maebara.

I still hope one day the game will have private lobbies. They would really help.
Also, please nerf vampire hunters.
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Return to Suggestions