Advert-supported free-to-play should come to Steam

Leave your suggestions about the game here!

Advert-supported free-to-play should come to Steam

Postby NateNate60 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:40 pm

So basically, BMG makes Town of Salem free of charge to download on Steam, and players who sign up through there can watch adverts to get a Classic Ticket. If they want, they can also purchase a "Steam Premium" bundle that functions the same as the other Premium bundles. Anyone already playing on Steam gets Steam Premium automatically. Valve also probably has systems in place to prevent account farming so by requiring free-to-play Steam players to link a Steam account, a second bot influx can probably be prevented.

I believe this would be a wise business move because the game being free to download and try out would attract more players through the Steam storefront, and those who are willing to pay can buy the Steam Premium bundle, which would be the same thing as the current $5 purchase on Steam. Currently, free-to-play players can use the Web version and the Mobile version, so why not the Steam version as well?

The one downside I can think of is that the faster loading times of Steam will no longer be a good selling point, but I don't think Steam players are buying it for the faster loading times anyway.
Rolled Jailer Exe Mayor
NateNate60
Witch
Witch

Re: Advert-supported free-to-play should come to Steam

Postby Joacgroso » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:50 pm

The thing is that this would make ban evading a lot easier. It's already bad that people can play for free on mobile with pc users. This would make it worse. I'd rather have a less toxic playerbase with less players than a big playerbase filled with trolls.
I'm not implying our playerbase isn't toxic, though. But it could be worse.
Joacgroso wrote:I feel like I went from Light Yagami to Keiichi Maebara.

I still hope one day the game will have private lobbies. They would really help.
Also, please nerf vampire hunters.
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby Flavorable » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:26 am

Big /nosupport from me. With bots still slipping through with Mobile, I suggest no free-to-play players at all.

Making it free on Steam is literally ban-evasion city, where bans mean nothing and bots roam free.
No reply to your support ticket after 15 business days? PM me with your ticket number.

You may PM me for clarifications on appeal verdicts, but keep in mind the verdict will not change.

Do you have 151+ games played and want to help rid the community of toxic players and gamethrowers? Join the Trial System today: https://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start

Also, check out the Trial System Discord Server: https://discord.gg/K5SnyJS
Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby KAKERMAN23 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:53 am

yea, if anything, the mobile version's system of watching ads to play free games is bad since it allows people to return for free
signature

this is a certified floating candle moment

i am female now jsjsjs
KAKERMAN23
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby SonOfSteveKerr » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:06 pm

Idk guys I think I support this anyways, I know several ways to transfer the free to play to pc already, just make it easier it would help get new players.
SonOfSteveKerr
Jester
Jester

Postby Joacgroso » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:20 pm

I honestly prefer quality over quantity. Not all new players have good intentions. I wouldn't mind this if there were separate gamemodes for people who play the game for free, which paid users can also access excluside lobbies to avoid ban-evaders.
The problem is that the playerbase it's still too small, and this would risk the vanilla game dying like coven. I know this suggestion could help the issue with the lack of players, but as I said, I don't think this is the right choice.
Joacgroso wrote:I feel like I went from Light Yagami to Keiichi Maebara.

I still hope one day the game will have private lobbies. They would really help.
Also, please nerf vampire hunters.
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby DiamondRanger8 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:07 am

NateNate60 wrote:So basically, BMG makes Town of Salem free of charge to download on Steam, and players who sign up through there can watch adverts to get a Classic Ticket. If they want, they can also purchase a "Steam Premium" bundle that functions the same as the other Premium bundles. Anyone already playing on Steam gets Steam Premium automatically. Valve also probably has systems in place to prevent account farming so by requiring free-to-play Steam players to link a Steam account, a second bot influx can probably be prevented.

I believe this would be a wise business move because the game being free to download and try out would attract more players through the Steam storefront, and those who are willing to pay can buy the Steam Premium bundle, which would be the same thing as the current $5 purchase on Steam. Currently, free-to-play players can use the Web version and the Mobile version, so why not the Steam version as well?

The one downside I can think of is that the faster loading times of Steam will no longer be a good selling point, but I don't think Steam players are buying it for the faster loading times anyway.

This would have my support. We could always use more players especially in Coven. Coven ranked might actually be possible to play after this change. But if they allow this, they should let you buy both Coven and Classic for $5, or $10 for a sort of Coven and Classic cosmetic bundle, while for $5, you could buy both Coven and Classic without any extras. If you already bought Coven and Classic, you would, of course, get the cosmetics.
DiamondRanger8
Investigator
Investigator

Return to Suggestions