In game strategy tips

Leave your suggestions about the game here!

In game strategy tips

Postby oddluck » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:44 am

Adding a bunch of useful tips for playing the game during loading screens or in the home page somewhere, the more you know about this game the better it gets. More people learning about the plays that can be made should improve overall game quality
oddluck
Witch
Witch

Re: In game strategy tips

Postby TheFluffyWaffleV2 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:19 pm

I mean the only way I can recommend for people to get better is to just play the game and develop their own style of keeping wills, scum reading, deciding what to claim, and manipulating. Of course some strategies work better than others, but recommended strategies only work in common situations, and most times you will not be in a textbook situation.
Retired Goop God
Spoiler:

jumpscare
TheFluffyWaffleV2
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby shapesifter13 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:47 pm

The loading screen tips could probably be improved some. The tips need to be fairly basic though, otherwise changing metas will cause us to have to constantly update them. Its hard to explain new, and in-depth strategies to players on a regular basis because oh how the meta changes.
shapesifter13
Developer
Developer

Postby oddluck » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:44 pm

shapesifter13 wrote:The loading screen tips could probably be improved some. The tips need to be fairly basic though, otherwise changing metas will cause us to have to constantly update them. Its hard to explain new, and in-depth strategies to players on a regular basis because oh how the meta changes.

Yes, some improved loading screen tips. You could do communty submissions for the tips, maybe some funny stories with the tip built in like 'I claimed Investigator as an Arsonist and everyone had the same results, toast'
oddluck
Witch
Witch

Postby kyuss420 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:23 am

Yup, the problem is, while you think your tips are top notch, others think they are just stupid. The game can be played many ways. I get hated on for many of my plays becuase ''thats not how you play the role'', although my win rate with the role is higher than the noob lecturing me. So tips game wise, or strategy wise are pretty much pointless and people would get reported for not following the tips.

Maybe the tips should just be simple reminders of game mechanics... eg
- Getting transported does not change who you visit at night, unless they were also transported.
- The last coven member will appear Inno to sheriff. or Sheriff cant find the last coven member alive.
- Crusader can only kill 1 visitor. It does not have a rampage attack.
- Crusader provides its target with powerful defence, even if their target visits medusa.
- Hex master gains Astral attacks with the necronomicon so they dont visit and wont die to TPs. Doctor and Crusader can still protect from their attack.
- Its hard to kill a VIP if theres a crusader alive.
- If a player has basic defence, a basic attack wont kill them.
- If a witch or Coven leader controls you, you visit whoever they send you to, not whoever you clicked at night.
- This mode has 4 Town Protective slots. If 4 Town protectives are showing in the grave yard, anyone claiming a TP role is lieing.
- Non visiting still dont visit when theyre controlled.

and most importantly:
- goose is always inno!
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby shapesifter13 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:39 pm

I feel tips should be more for explaining complicated mechanics/interactions rather than strategies, and whether a strategy is good is pretty relative.
shapesifter13
Developer
Developer

Postby MysticMismagius » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:10 pm

I've modded the tips in the game because of this exact thing. Here are some of the tips I wrote a while back:

<Entry key="GUI_TIP0">Tip: If an important role reveals themselves early on, attacking them right away might not be the best idea.</Entry> Because you don't know if they have protection or not
<Entry key="GUI_TIP1">Tip: If you receive the "You were poisoned. You will die tomorrow!" message before Night 3, you have definitely been visited by a Hypnotist.</Entry> I've seen a surprising amount of people in CAA not know this
<Entry key="GUI_TIP2">Tip: If you're evil, an off-the-wall claim that no one would expect can win you the game if you maintain it.</Entry>
<Entry key="GUI_TIP3">Tip: Be careful about whispering private information, because a Blackmailer might be around to read it.</Entry>
<Entry key="GUI_TIP4">Tip: Arsonists can clean gasoline off of themselves if they take no action at night, but not if they are roleblocked.</Entry> Edited version of the vanilla Arso tip
<Entry key="GUI_TIP5">Tip: Multiple Executioners can have the same target, but they can’t have the Jailor, Mayor, or any non-Town role as a target.</Entry> Edited version of the vanilla Exe tip
<Entry key="GUI_TIP6">Tip: Write down any information you may deem important as soon as you learn it, so you don't forget it when it matters.</Entry>
<Entry key="GUI_TIP7">Tip: The Godfather and Mafioso should both select the same target, so that if one is roleblocked, the other can still attack.</Entry> Edited version of the vanilla GF/Maf tip
<Entry key="GUI_TIP9">Tip: Dousing or hexing someone changes their investigative results permanently, including the night they were targeted.</Entry> Similar to TIP1, I've seen people not know that Arso changes the investigative result of their target if they are investigated the same night they were doused
<Entry key="GUI_TIP10">Tip: Be nice to neutral roles like Survivors and Pirates, because they could decide who wins the game.</Entry>
<Entry key="GUI_TIP11">Tip: You can't normally whisper to a revealed Mayor, so if the Mayor reveals and then you can whisper to them afterwards, they have been turned into a Vampire.</Entry> Edited version of the vanilla Mayor tip to be more useful, especially in DP
<Entry key="GUI_TIP12">Tip: Even if you hate your role, try your best. Miracles can happen.</Entry>
<Entry key="GUI_TIP13">Tip: Arsonists can bypass all Town Protective roles, but they can still be caught by Lookouts and Trackers.</Entry>
<Entry key="GUI_TIP14">Tip: Keep your will up to date at all times.</Entry>
<Entry key="GUI_TIP15">Tip: Some roles are unique, meaning there can only be one alive in the game at any time.</Entry> It's honestly weird how the entire unique roles mechanic is completely hidden and not told to the player by any means in-game
<Entry key="GUI_TIP16">Tip: If your role can transform, the changes won't take place until the day after the conditions for transformation have been met. Plaguebearers can die on the night when they would have become Pestilence, and the Mafioso will still be found as suspicious by Sheriffs on the night their Godfather dies.</Entry>
<Entry key="GUI_TIP17">Tip: Make sure you spell names and information correctly. Almost nothing's worse than having your whole will deleted because you accidentally wrote "incestigator" instead of "investigator".</Entry> This has happened to me. I cry every time.
<Entry key="GUI_TIP20">Tip: Unless you think they might be protected, you should try to kill the most active players when you're evil.</Entry>
<Entry key="GUI_TIP21">Tip: Don't be afraid to vote up your own teammates if they can't be saved.</Entry> If I had a dollar for every time someone has refused to vote up their obviously evil ally, I'd be a wealthy woman
<Entry key="GUI_TIP22">Tip: You haven't seen the last of Mediums, Trappers, and Guardian Angels just because you've killed them.</Entry>
<Entry key="GUI_TIP23">Tip: There's no point in attacking someone who is already going to get hanged the next day, unless you are Vigilante/Jailor and want to save time.</Entry>
<Entry key="GUI_TIP24">Tip: Don't worry about hanging someone who claims Exe or Jester. They're still evil, and you can afford the Jester hit more than you can afford a potential killer running around.</Entry>
<Entry key="GUI_TIP26">Tip: If a Sheriff claim comes out and says that someone is suspicious, either they or the person they accused should be hanged immediately unless there's evidence of a Framer or Hex Master fudging the interrogation.</Entry> This is probably too long-winded
MysticMismagius
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby shapesifter13 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:53 pm

I could definetly take another pass at tips, either tweaking some that may be outdatted/poorly worded, and adding new ones. This is work that I can do with no dev help outside of them just making sure its included in a patch.
shapesifter13
Developer
Developer

Postby TheFluffyWaffleV2 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:24 pm

I wouldn’t say this is a high priority thing but I‘m not against it. I don’t read them anyway.
Retired Goop God
Spoiler:

jumpscare
TheFluffyWaffleV2
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby shapesifter13 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:16 pm

I agree, its not high priority, but its something that I can do(not a programmer). My job is emails, forums, QA and some design. Its more like if I got some spare time.
shapesifter13
Developer
Developer

Postby oddluck » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:04 am

The humourous narratves from the POV of the role is a great way to go about it
oddluck
Witch
Witch

Postby kyuss420 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:12 am

shapesifter13 wrote:I feel tips should be more for explaining complicated mechanics/interactions rather than strategies, and whether a strategy is good is pretty relative.

Agreed. But what I was getting at, and many players get most frustrated by, is some of the player base doesnt seem to have grasped the concept of basic mechanics... like they think their target changed when theyre transported, but think their target didnt change when they were witched
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby James2 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:53 pm

shapesifter13 wrote:I could definetly take another pass at tips, either tweaking some that may be outdatted/poorly worded, and adding new ones. This is work that I can do with no dev help outside of them just making sure its included in a patch.

Could you remove "random lynching favors the evil roles"? While it's literally true that random lynching is anti-town, too many people think that's the same thing as VFR.
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Return to Suggestions