Get rid of the ability to copy the dead chat as medium

Leave your suggestions about the game here!

Get rid of the ability to copy the dead chat as medium

Postby CrimsonKatana » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:05 pm

On Unity and Mobile there's a feature where you can press the square next to a line of text to copy it, well as Medium you can now copy and paste that to the town making it WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY too hard for any evils to try and claim medium... Honestly this is a meta game strategy and it needs to be taken out. If I can think of anymore scenarios like this where the copy button is too OP I'll update this post with it...

~ CEO of WAY
There really was no light in my room and I really couldn't see my keyboard
CrimsonKatana
Retributionist
Retributionist

Re: Get rid of the ability to copy the dead chat as medium

Postby Algus » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:08 pm

you could ALWAYS copy paste it just by highlighting it, the addition of that button is because unity and mobile can't highlight anymore

i dont know why you said medium specifically when literally every role can and should use that feature

copy pasting whispers is relevant even
IGN - Max
If I'm not on Max, I'm the Thunder Trainer with cupid/loveshack or wolfpup/wolfden
Algus
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby CrimsonKatana » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:15 pm

Well I haven't played on browser in a long time so I forget if what you say about copying on there is true because I have people telling me it's not... Anyways as soon as this update was added there has been a huge influx where almost everyone is just copying the dead chat as medium, right now I just want it so that the med can't copy the deads messages... If I see anything else as OP I'll update the post...
CrimsonKatana
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Algus » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:30 pm

whether it's currently doable on browser I don't know; but long before the unity update i was highlighting the bottom system message nightly to copy paste it as day started (for almost every role)

if for some reason browser can't currently do that, then dev's should add the button there as well

there's functionally no difference between copy pasting and taking 10 seconds to type something manually- so it exists for convenience, and most likely convenience for mobile players specifically

mobile players just by virtue of existing lower the standard of playing by forcing everyone else to accommodate their lack of keyboards
IGN - Max
If I'm not on Max, I'm the Thunder Trainer with cupid/loveshack or wolfpup/wolfden
Algus
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby emslaya » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:37 pm

Yeah it's currently doable on browser. You just can't copy/paste from the chatlogs using the highlighting tool. Basically, a med can highlight/copy text said in the dead chat during the night but if they forget to do that then they cant just copy it from the logs.
Join ToS Friends!

ToS Friends is a community of friendly folks who ❤️ Town of Salem. The server features opt-in lobby pings to fill your ToS games faster, (which is super helpful for filling certain gamemodes), & also often dabbles in party games like Jackbox, BGO, etc together!

Join & make more ToS Friends!: http://www.discord.gg/tosfriends

Disboard: http://www.disboard.org/server/709446612728021033
emslaya
Witch
Witch

Postby Algus » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:45 pm

emslaya wrote:Yeah it's currently doable on browser. You just can't copy/paste from the chatlogs using the highlighting tool. Basically, a med can highlight/copy text said in the dead chat during the night but if they forget to do that then they cant just copy it from the logs.

this is what i thought

to be perfectly honest, there's no reason for browser not to have the button as well

my advice until you get the button is to always have the bottom message highlighted, so you at least save yourself some effort
IGN - Max
Algus
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby CrimsonKatana » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:11 pm

Why do you guys want to make meta gaming easier? I've had people tell me it's not possible on browser so I don't know if it is or not unless I played myself but I currently can't.
CrimsonKatana
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Brilliand » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:21 pm

It isn't that hard to make up some chatty things for the dead to "say". It's more work than you should have to do as evil, but not so much that you can't do it. (It's comparable to the old "type your role's attributes" meta in this way.)

In my mind, copy/paste is way too basic a feature (of basically every computer program) to remove it, no matter what effect it's having on the game. I agree that this meta is bad, but it should ideally be shut down by making it easier to fake, not by making the UI less convenient.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby CrimsonKatana » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:34 pm

Well on mobile at least every time someone copies a piece of text it has a random blank sqaure icon in there basically like a water mark confirming that they copied it
CrimsonKatana
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Brilliand » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:37 pm

CrimsonKatana wrote:Well on mobile at least every time someone copies a piece of text it has a random blank sqaure icon in there basically like a water mark confirming that they copied it

I would count that as a bug; pasted stuff shouldn't look any different from typed stuff.

Still, I'm sure even that "watermark" can be faked. (Copy some unrelated text to your notes, edit it with your fake stuff, then paste your doctored version in chat.)
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby emslaya » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:48 pm

CrimsonKatana wrote:Well on mobile at least every time someone copies a piece of text it has a random blank sqaure icon in there basically like a water mark confirming that they copied it

YIKES. Yeah that is a major thing that should def be fixed. I have no idea if the browser copy/paste stuff also ends up watermarks or whether this is a moble/steam only feature but if that's the issue you are talking about then I'm definitely in support of getting rid of the watermark. I've never seen a watermark in browser ToS and I don't think I would like it if it was added.

/support removing the watermark from all ToS modes, but I'm not in favor of removing the copy/paste feature from mobile because every time that I've tried playing mobile ToS it's been a pain and anything that makes it somewhat easier to play using that mode should be kept.
Join ToS Friends!

ToS Friends is a community of friendly folks who ❤️ Town of Salem. The server features opt-in lobby pings to fill your ToS games faster, (which is super helpful for filling certain gamemodes), & also often dabbles in party games like Jackbox, BGO, etc together!

Join & make more ToS Friends!: http://www.discord.gg/tosfriends

Disboard: http://www.disboard.org/server/709446612728021033
emslaya
Witch
Witch

Postby CrimsonKatana » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:54 pm

Yeah any text that only that role can see shouldn't be able to be copied imo cause all it does is enable meta gaming, for example "you have decided to investigate 7"
CrimsonKatana
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Brilliand » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:02 pm

emslaya wrote:/support removing the watermark from all ToS modes, but I'm not in favor of removing the copy/paste feature from mobile because every time that I've tried playing mobile ToS it's been a pain and anything that makes it somewhat easier to play using that mode should be kept.

Though if it works out that copy-pasting is the only viable way to produce large chunks of text on mobile, that still allows metagaming, at least against evils that happen to be on mobile.

Not being able to type quickly is crippling. It's probably necessary to cripple copy/paste on mobile to the point where it can be faked by typing on that little keyboard. (Though that gives mobile users a huge disadvantage compared with desktop users, so... problem not completely solved.)
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby CrimsonKatana » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:09 pm

Well all I'm asking for is that anything that only that role can see shouldn't be able to be copied cause it makes meta gaming easier
CrimsonKatana
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby kyuss420 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:59 pm

and yet, I got a medium lynched yesterday by claiming medium and using fake ''copy and pasted'' messages from the dead chat..
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby CrimsonKatana » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:24 pm

Would not work against skilled players. The other medium should have copy/pasted the real logs and it would have been pretty obvious he was the real and probably would have gotten you lynched...
CrimsonKatana
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby kyuss420 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:33 am

CrimsonKatana wrote:Would not work against skilled players. The other medium should have copy/pasted the real logs and it would have been pretty obvious he was the real and probably would have gotten you lynched...

That was the plan, I was jester.... still took em 2 days after to lynch me
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby orangeandblack5 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:15 am

kyuss420 wrote:
CrimsonKatana wrote:Would not work against skilled players. The other medium should have copy/pasted the real logs and it would have been pretty obvious he was the real and probably would have gotten you lynched...

That was the plan, I was jester

dude fucking rip
Spoiler:
SwampRabbit wrote:your idea is that no town should ever be able to confirm themselves as town.

that is the dumbest idea I think I have heard.

ElderSivart wrote:I'm confused as to why BMG made a UI for Pirate and not Hypnotist.

Sarah Thorpe wrote:Role Ideas is great for masochists.
orangeandblack5
Halloween 2017 Winner
Halloween 2017 Winner

Postby ShylokVakarian » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:51 am

Algus wrote:whether it's currently doable on browser I don't know; but long before the unity update i was highlighting the bottom system message nightly to copy paste it as day started (for almost every role)

if for some reason browser can't currently do that, then dev's should add the button there as well

there's functionally no difference between copy pasting and taking 10 seconds to type something manually- so it exists for convenience, and most likely convenience for mobile players specifically

mobile players just by virtue of existing lower the standard of playing by forcing everyone else to accommodate their lack of keyboards

Android Master Race
ShylokVakarian
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby Flavorable » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:25 pm

Moderator Message: Please keep the thread on-topic. If you have nothing of value to add to the actual suggestion, don't reply.
No reply to your support ticket after 15 business days? PM me with your ticket number.

You may PM me for clarifications on appeal verdicts, but keep in mind the verdict will not change.

Do you have 151+ games played and want to help rid the community of toxic players and gamethrowers? Join the Trial System today: https://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start

Also, check out the Trial System Discord Server: https://discord.gg/K5SnyJS
Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Suggestions