Ranked suggestions

Leave your suggestions about the game here!

Ranked suggestions

Postby ArrowGM » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:42 pm

Hey all,

I will keep this short.

I have played ranked a lot and I am noticing some issues with points after winning or losing.
I don't want to be strict to NK or NE but mainly to mafia and town roles.

[Short story]
When you win with certain faction you get points. Also when you lose, you lose points. When you lose as Town support you lose less point than as Town investigating.

[Problem]
As town support, Mayor, retributionist, transporter and even medium, has a significant impact.
- Mayor can lynch certain town member with his major vote
- Transporter can kill important town role or protect them at the same time including mafia
- retributionist can resurrect and also identify if disguiser have died
- medium can give important TI knowledge from the dead which can alter whole game.

you don't get much points for winning but you lose less points than other faction

Speaking from prior experience

Got 3 points for win as a Jailor, 7 points as Investigator,
same time i lost 1 point as a Mayor (from recent games (Arsonist and executioner win)

[..] ..point is set

[Suggestion]

Rework ranked system for town and mafia which could punish not only TI roles but also town support and other roles. It would make town to use each role with more care.

[Note]
Right now if i am a mayor and decided that retributionist (not knowing the role) claim is suspicious and lynch him and after that dying and losing town a game. I am not worrying about my rank if i lose 1 point. How ever if i lose around 5 or 8 point i would have reconsidered all possibilities. Right now its fast game (min 5 nights and max 9 nights) with no strict damage to the rank.

That is all i have to say :)
Happy upcoming new year :)
ArrowGM
Executioner
Executioner

Re: Ranked suggestions

Postby SparkingJay » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:28 pm

I believe the amount of points gained depend on the ELO of other players in the lobby. (Low ELO players = Less ELO, High ELO players = More ELO)

SparkingJay
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby ArrowGM » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:56 am

to my knowledge few of player said "Not proven" that they had over 2k Elo and so did i have around 1938 ELO, and some claimed that they were unranked in the same game
It also would be nice to see after game ends elo of others (i know they are not visable but still it would be nice)
ArrowGM
Executioner
Executioner

Postby wozearly » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:25 pm

ArrowGM wrote:to my knowledge few of player said "Not proven" that they had over 2k Elo and so did i have around 1938 ELO, and some claimed that they were unranked in the same game
It also would be nice to see after game ends elo of others (i know they are not visable but still it would be nice)

The ELO calculation considers the average ELO of all members of your "team" (Town/Mafia/You alone) and has a modifier based on the global average winrate of your "team" across all ranked games. Which role (e.g. Sheriff), or subset of roles (e.g. TI) you are makes no difference.

There are some flaws and slightly counterintuitive elements to this model - the main two are:

1) The winrate for Town at higher ELO levels is well out of whack with the winrate at lower levels, so the global modifier effectively treats Town wins and losses too generously (and vice versa for Mafia and the Neutrals) at higher ELO, and too harshly at lower ELOs. This is a significant contributor to ELO creep, and the reason we have an absolute horde of 2,000+ ELO players in this extended season.

2) Averaging the ELO of your team and the ELO of opposing teams/individuals goes a bit screwy when you have players with a significantly higher or lower ELO in the mix. As an example; you're a 2,000 ELO NK against an average 1,500 ELO Town. With that much ELO difference, the calculation will basically assume you're certain to win; giving you +1 ELO if you do, and tearing away a sizeable chunk of ELO if you don't. In practice, the better player in the NK's case doesn't stand *that* much better a chance of winning.
wozearly
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby ArrowGM » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:05 am

wozearly wrote:
ArrowGM wrote:to my knowledge few of player said "Not proven" that they had over 2k Elo and so did i have around 1938 ELO, and some claimed that they were unranked in the same game

The ELO calculation considers the average ELO of all members of your "team" (Town/Mafia/You alone) and has a modifier based on the global average winrate of your "team" across all ranked games. Which role (e.g. Sheriff), or subset of roles (e.g. TI) you are makes no difference.

There are some flaws and slightly counterintuitive elements to this model - the main two are:

1) The winrate for Town at higher ELO levels is well out of whack with the winrate at lower levels, so the global modifier effectively treats Town wins and losses too generously (and vice versa for Mafia and the Neutrals) at higher ELO, and too harshly at lower ELOs. This is a significant contributor to ELO creep, and the reason we have an absolute horde of 2,000+ ELO players in this extended season.

2) Averaging the ELO of your team and the ELO of opposing teams/individuals goes a bit screwy when you have players with a significantly higher or lower ELO in the mix. As an example; you're a 2,000 ELO NK against an average 1,500 ELO Town. With that much ELO difference, the calculation will basically assume you're certain to win; giving you +1 ELO if you do, and tearing away a sizeable chunk of ELO if you don't. In practice, the better player in the NK's case doesn't stand *that* much better a chance of winning.

Just Finished game as Jester win. Got +2 ELO. Sometimes it is fair and sometimes it is unfair :D this time its 2nd :D
ArrowGM
Executioner
Executioner

Postby orangeandblack5 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:16 am

Imagine thinking a Jester win is hard enough to be worth more than 2 points
Spoiler:
SwampRabbit wrote:your idea is that no town should ever be able to confirm themselves as town.

that is the dumbest idea I think I have heard.

ElderSivart wrote:I'm confused as to why BMG made a UI for Pirate and not Hypnotist.

Sarah Thorpe wrote:Role Ideas is great for masochists.
orangeandblack5
Halloween 2017 Winner
Halloween 2017 Winner

Postby CrimsonKatana » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:17 am

PTSD flashback of 1 elo arso win intestifies
There really was no light in my room and I really couldn't see my keyboard
CrimsonKatana
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Algus » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:22 am

orangeandblack5 wrote:Imagine thinking a Jester win is hard enough to be worth more than 2 points

i've lost 7 elo as jester before

a disguiser died n1 as jester and a vig shot me n2

-7 elo

kms
IGN - Max
If I'm not on Max, I'm the Thunder Trainer with cupid/loveshack or wolfpup/wolfden
Algus
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Return to Suggestions