Suggestion to deal with the leaver issue

Leave your suggestions about the game here!

Suggestion to deal with the leaver issue

Postby Johnjohn134 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:21 pm

So everyone knows people leaving the game is ruining all the fun in TOS.
Just look at this http://prntscr.com/ps0v7q That is not unusual. Leavers are a huge problem.

What I suggest is to have a "leaving score" that is determined from how likely you are to stick through an entire game. In other words, your score gets punished from leaving prematurely.

- The score should be hit harder from leaving right at the beginning than in the middle of a game (Because in the middle of a game it's more likely to be a leaver who already had lost or thinks he had lost or connection issues whereas right at the start of the game it is very likely to just be a person not wanting his role)

- Players get matched with people having similar scores (So people who often leaves, are gonna have games with other people who often leaves. So even if they get the roles they want they are gonna have their games ruined from a bad score. Encouraging them to better their score to have any fun at all)

- People with bad connection are gonna be somewhere in the middle on the score depending on how bad their connection issues are. So they won't have completely ruined games, but they wont be perfect either. Which is fair considering they themselves sometimes are part of the problem.

Thoughts ?
Johnjohn134

Re: Suggestion to deal with the leaver issue

Postby kyuss420 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:00 am

Ive lost more games due to people leaving mid - late game, than from people leaving day 1
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby Voriki » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:46 am

Here is a suggestion.
When you start a game, everyone immediately loses the round(in the background), so anyone who leaves, has a loss.
Only at the end, the winner gets their loss reverted to a win(or the -1 negated by +2).

Ofcourse, I myself am guilty of leaving when the game is permanently lost for me, I never ever influence current gameplay by doing anything suspicious, I only leave while dead when my very last team mate has been voted up guilty(leaving before the guilty verdict might influence people), or when I myself am the last to hang. So this way I used to leave to prevent myself from taking a loss at all, would be negated by my suggestion.

That suggestion takes care of the win-loss ratio, and I also approve of a way to see how people who leave too early in the game that they influence gameplay(a jester who dies N1 for example doesn't influence gameplay by leaving, since they can't sit aimlessly, I don't mind them leaving) are being monitored.
While I can give my general opinion on any subject, I only have playing experience in Classic and Draculas Palace, non ranked.
Voriki
Witch
Witch

Postby ScarfVendetta » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:11 am

Voriki wrote:That suggestion takes care of the win-loss ratio, and I also approve of a way to see how people who leave too early in the game that they influence gameplay(a jester who dies N1 for example doesn't influence gameplay by leaving, since they can't sit aimlessly, I don't mind them leaving) are being monitored.

Leaving N1 as Jester still means that Jester is not present for the rest of the game. In Ranked, the effects of this are pretty noticeable: e.g. it will take an extra night for Mafia to eliminate total town majority, plus an inability to act like a Jester yourself to prevent yourself from getting lynched. Plus, an active Jester can be a distraction for Town, which can buy the evil roles some much needed time even if the Town still has majority.

Even if you don't play Ranked (as stated in your signature), there are still applications to other gamemodes such as Dracula's Palace, where the absence of a Jester can be even more detrimental to the Vampires' chances of winning (VH cannot stake the Jester at night, meaning it can pose a real thorn in the town's side if it survives until the Jailor and Vigilante are dead/converted). Not that the Jester is always helpful to the evil factions; it should attempt to play both sides to secure it's own victory.

Leaving the game prematurely will have an impact on the game no matter what your role is, even if the effects are not obvious at first glance.
Just some Sheriff who didn't claim until Day 5, and has no leads whatsoever

No need to be alarmed...
ScarfVendetta
Summer 2020 Winner
Summer 2020 Winner

Postby TheComputer » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:55 am

Voriki wrote:I myself am guilty of leaving when the game is permanently lost for me, I never ever influence current gameplay by doing anything suspicious, I only leave while dead when my very last team mate has been voted up guilty(leaving before the guilty verdict might influence people), or when I myself am the last to hang. So this way I used to leave to prevent myself from taking a loss at all, would be negated by my suggestion.

You're fine. The rules state that you're allowed to leave if you cannot possibly win. (For instance, leaving as jester after being NK'd, leaving as mafia after the entire team is dead, leaving as NK once dead for any reason, etc.)

I believe the game will not give you MP if you leave, and prematurely leaving while alive will make the game force you to wait before playing again, so there already are mechanisms to prevent people from leaving.
TheComputer

Postby JacksonVirgo » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:56 pm

Lmao, I just had a stupid thought. That someone that leaves in ranked gets replaced with someone from the queue. It's dumb but it's just a hilarious thought I had
Pronouns - They/Them

On-site FM Record: 11-0-11
Spoiler: Latest Town Game: VFM75 - Citizen - Win
Latest Scum Game: SFM79 - Coroner - Win
Latest Neutral Game: SFM72 - Failed Assassin - Win
Last updated 02.12.20 AEST
JacksonVirgo
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby MysticMismagius » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:55 pm

JacksonVirgo wrote:Lmao, I just had a stupid thought. That someone that leaves in ranked gets replaced with someone from the queue. It's dumb but it's just a hilarious thought I had
This could work, but it’d need to be done silently (no one is told that the person left or got replaced) because people would think the replace is evil if they leave early on.

Also, I worry that trolls will abuse it by using inappropriate usernames, then leaving ASAP so that the person they get replaced with gets reported for a name that’s now outside of their control. But Trials would probably find a way around that if this were to get implemented.
MysticMismagius
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby JacksonVirgo » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:11 pm

MysticMismagius wrote:
JacksonVirgo wrote:Lmao, I just had a stupid thought. That someone that leaves in ranked gets replaced with someone from the queue. It's dumb but it's just a hilarious thought I had
This could work, but it’d need to be done silently (no one is told that the person left or got replaced) because people would think the replace is evil if they leave early on.

Also, I worry that trolls will abuse it by using inappropriate usernames, then leaving ASAP so that the person they get replaced with gets reported for a name that’s now outside of their control. But Trials would probably find a way around that if this were to get implemented.

The trial system would obviously need to be changed to compensate if that's implemented
Pronouns - They/Them

JacksonVirgo
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby PterryDactyl » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:42 pm

Install something where if someone purposely leaves when alive, their computer combusts.
PterryDactyl
Transporter
Transporter

Postby Jerme » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:08 pm

TheComputer wrote:
Voriki wrote:I myself am guilty of leaving when the game is permanently lost for me, I never ever influence current gameplay by doing anything suspicious, I only leave while dead when my very last team mate has been voted up guilty(leaving before the guilty verdict might influence people), or when I myself am the last to hang. So this way I used to leave to prevent myself from taking a loss at all, would be negated by my suggestion.

You're fine. The rules state that you're allowed to leave if you cannot possibly win. (For instance, leaving as jester after being NK'd, leaving as mafia after the entire team is dead, leaving as NK once dead for any reason, etc.)

I believe the game will not give you MP if you leave, and prematurely leaving while alive will make the game force you to wait before playing again, so there already are mechanisms to prevent people from leaving.

Please keep in mind that you shall not leave while you are alive, period. So if you are the last alive Mafia, you may not leave until you died.
Once you leave the game its treated as a loss for you (stats only). You are correcrt, the game will not award a leaver MP.
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby PterryDactyl » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:58 am

Jerme wrote:
TheComputer wrote:

Please keep in mind that you shall not leave while you are alive, period. So if you are the last alive Mafia, you may not leave until you died.
Once you leave the game its treated as a loss for you (stats only). You are correcrt, the game will not award a leaver MP.

But does it combust
PterryDactyl
Transporter
Transporter

Postby Jerme » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:58 pm

What do you mean?
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MysticMismagius » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:43 pm

I think Pterry is making a joke regarding this suggestion:
PterryDactyl wrote:Install something where if someone purposely leaves when alive, their computer combusts.
MysticMismagius
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby JacksonVirgo » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:06 pm

MysticMismagius wrote:I think Pterry is making a joke regarding this suggestion:
PterryDactyl wrote:Install something where if someone purposely leaves when alive, their computer combusts.

I think the joke combusted on them
Pronouns - They/Them

JacksonVirgo
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby PterryDactyl » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:00 am

JacksonVirgo wrote:
MysticMismagius wrote:I think Pterry is making a joke regarding this suggestion:

I think the joke combusted on them

I think the joke combusted on Jerme for not getting it
PterryDactyl
Transporter
Transporter

Postby Boredfan1 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:21 pm

There just isn't a solution right now.
Boredfan1
Jailor
Jailor

Return to Suggestions