Temp-ban leaving players / afk / other suggestions

Leave your suggestions about the game here!

Temp-ban leaving players / afk / other suggestions

Postby Reint » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:45 am

Hello,

I got in to this game again last week, and I noticed that all any is a very populair mode (you really only can play all any coven/vips, since the other modes are always empty in coven, in the classic mode, all modes are easily playable). And I noticed that a lot of people just leave if they get a boring role, or if one of their team members dies n1, or if the game just crashes.

I think it is too easy to leave games. Reporting them might be an option, but that border isn't crossed many times since the game of the disconnected player might have crashed. To prevent the attractiveness to leave games, it might be a good idea to implement an automatic temp-ban system (like in csgo).

For the first time you leave, you just get a 10 minute ban (so you can't reconnect that easily), this doen't punish people who leave for emergencies or game crashes, because you can play a game after a little while again. And the next time you leave, the ban time goes up to 30 minutes, and then to 1 hour, then to 6 hours, then to 12 hours, and the max of 1 day. (the numbers might need to be different, but you get the idea). If you are unlucky and your game crashes more then 2/3 times, it is really the fault of your network/pc, and maybe you should consider fixing the problem first. This system will reset weekly, so you can safely crash your game on a weekly bases. (the week starts after your first 10 minute ban)

This really should prevent players from leaving games. Besides this, may also be an idea to temp ban players for 5 minutes who are dead and leave the game, because of the retro and medium, but I'm not sure if that is a great idea, it should make med and retri more fun in all any games.

Another issue is afk players. Afk players are quit easy detectible, if they don't move their mouse, or don't chat in day/night chat, or don't select targets etc they are properly afk. They should not be removed from the game, since afk players might have important roles for the executioner, or maf/coven members. Instead of removing them, they will get a popup telling them the game has noticed that you were afk, the game will keep track of the amount of afk sessions you had, and will ban you a time based on the total afk times (after the game ended). The afk detect system should really be fail proof since exes that or NK roles don't act that often.

I do think that the temp ban for leaving should really improve games. I am not sure about the afk system, but that is open for discussion

This problems mostly occur in the CHAOS game modes, but those are the most populair.

And to increase the average players in COVEN per game mode, it might be an idea to disable some low visited modes, I would really like it If I can play ranked practice/custom/maf returns coven regular without waiting 1 hour for seven players in a lobby.

While the first option fits the role of retributions better, I think that the second option is more balanced. (the first option might be a bit overpowered in late game).

P.S. sorry for some mistakes in my English language.

P.S o, and add a "amount of times killed at night 1" achievement, cause I want to keep track of that
Reint
Jester
Jester

Re: Temp-ban leaving players / afk / other suggestions

Postby Duckferno » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:15 pm

This really should prevent players from leaving games. Besides this, may also be an idea to temp ban players for 5 minutes who are dead and leave the game, because of the retro and medium, but I'm not sure if that is a great idea, it should make med and retri more fun in all any games.

This isn't a great idea at all. When a player dies they are free to leave, since of right now you can't get reported for leaving right as you die. But since I disagree, I need clarification if putting this 5-Minute Ban on players who are dead, that leave, will a Mafia member be affected by this. If so, it's unfair either way. If a Mafia gets to leave then other should be able to.

For the first time you leave, you just get a 10 minute ban (so you can't reconnect that easily), this doesn't punish people who leave for emergencies or game crashes, because you can play a game after a little while again. And the next time you leave, the ban time goes up to 30 minutes, and then to 1 hour, then to 6 hours, then to 12 hours, and the max of 1 day. (the numbers might need to be different, but you get the idea). If you are unlucky and your game crashes more then 2/3 times, it is really the fault of your network/pc, and maybe you should consider fixing the problem first. This system will reset weekly, so you can safely crash your game on a weekly bases. (the week starts after your first 10 minute ban)

It's too harsh, disconnection is a problem on mobile. It happens frequently and this doesn't solve a problem at all. They will lose players daily if a disconnection keeps happening. The source for disconnections is usually on BMG's side. If not, it's your network. Resetting weekly doesn't matter, since people can just leave every week and it'll be abused.

Another issue is afk players. Afk players are quit easy detectible, if they don't move their mouse, or don't chat in day/night chat, or don't select targets etc they are properly afk. They should not be removed from the game, since afk players might have important roles for the executioner, or maf/coven members. Instead of removing them, they will get a popup telling them the game has noticed that you were afk, the game will keep track of the amount of afk sessions you had, and will ban you a time based on the total afk times (after the game ended). The afk detect system should really be fail proof since exes that or NK roles don't act that often.

I don't see people being AFK a problem. If they are AFK for the a couple nights or one night, it doesn't mean they are completely not playing. Because if I were AFK for two nights and then get on and this thing turns on, its going to count the "session" as AFK. There is a better solution than this, you should go through the suggestion thread a bit more.
The Duck has Spoken. Please move Along Now.

psydukkk
Duckferno
Spy
Spy

Postby Reint » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:07 am

I do agree with your points, specially the dead leave thing, cause I wasn't sure about that either.

However, afking people (for whole sessions) and disconnecting people cause many games to have an unfair advantage for another team/player.

About the disconnection temp ban, I think it is quite easy to know if the game crashed or if the player left early (using some programming magic (at least I think that is easy)), so that problem would be fixed right away. The abuse of the weekly reset could be balanced out by increasing the time span (if crashed games are detected, a month would be a good time period).

Besides this, the reconnecting button that is going to be implementing should also prevent the accidental leavers from getting banned.
And about the afk sessions, indeed most of the time afk peoples are not a problem and you can work around it by changing your strategy. But afking shouldn't be that easy. (most of the times they get lynched or executed by a jailor, well if it is a town member, town just got less change to win). But I will search for the other suggestions about this.
Reint
Jester
Jester

Postby Reint » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:18 am

I mean, at least 90% of my games there is a leaver, most of the time, 2 games where 5 people left (4 town, because jailor crashed game or something), 1 game where we won day 2 cause 1 maf left the game, and like always, also the NK. And a game where just 3 people left day 1, with a follow up leaves on day 2 and 3.

I almost never have a game where the outcome doesn't get influenced by anyone leaving (for example, mayor leaving mid game, town could have easily won that game.

It really is a problem. Maybe not in ranked, but in all the other modes it is.
Reint
Jester
Jester

Return to Suggestions