Choose between doctor or bodyguard in role selection

Leave your suggestions about the game here!

Would you like to choose between a doctor or bodyguard?

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes : 4

Choose between doctor or bodyguard in role selection

Postby VoteForNudes » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:33 pm

Hi, I have played 3000 + ranked games and have started playing this game ~3 years ago and I would like to add a suggestion on how to improve the game.

When in role selection you get "Town protector" instead of a chance between doctor or bodyguard.

What I suggest is that you can pick between a doctor or bodyguard either in role selection or most likely in Day 1.
Well, you might ask: Why, isn't it pretty much the same because both of them have the same use? And to that I would answer: No, they are not the same because I would rather play doctor instead of bodyguard.

To summarize on why imo doctor is better than bodyguard, doctor doesn't die and bodyguard dies.

Why is there a need of choice between them?

1) Generally everyone has their own favorite roles and we also have roles that we hate or dislike compered to others (And no these aren't just roles that are evil, they are also town roles). This option is there to pick a role that you like more, a role that you know that you will give town a higher chance to win.

So to give you an example: you are new to the game or just not confident that you can carry the game with doctor then you should choose bodyguard because no one wants to see a doctor (John Hathorne) to get confused by not even a good mafia play and often just that 1 vote can be a difference between a win and a loss and what happens in the end is the doctor gets flamed by everyone and no one is happy (except for mafia). But now imagine if John Hathorne instead of healing someone he ended up protecting them as a bodyguard - *He just watches the game as it plays out and is happy on what he did*.

2) I had 3 bodyguard games in a row and 4 more bodyguard games that day and maybe only 1 or none of doctor games (An unusual amount of TP games for a day, not that I play like 60 games per day).
Lets review those 3 games in a row:

Game 1: I killed mafioso Night 1 (A clean win)(I don't play jailor meta because it's boring even if I know that town has more of a chance to win the game)

Game 2: I killed mafioso Night 2 (A loss - passive town, jailor goes for a 50/50 chance and executes townie, town hangs another member of town....the usual game where town fucks up)
Now if I wasn't dead I could have lead jailor to execute a mafia member that I knew 100% (When I'm town I try to lead the town and it usually works (80-90% chance...I have few games where a fuck up a bit but in some of them we won regardless) and from there I am confident that I could have read the votes and hanged mafia, leading town to a win.

Game 3: I killed mafioso Night 2 (ALMOST lost the game -this game was more or less like game 2 but town fucked up less and ended up with a 2vs1)
After those 2 last games i feel like .... I played bad??! Because I ended up dead and couldn't lead town to victory and had to watch town make a bad decision after another bad decision when I knew that town could have played better with me alive.

Summary:
I didn't feel like I did a good job by killing mafia as a bodyguard (which is what the role is supposed to do) because I fell like I could have done much more if I was alive.

Now what this change could possibly do to the game:

Bad:

Jailor meta gets a bit better unless it's an arsonist game? (It is bad because I hate jailor meta with passion - as a TP you end up AFK click 1 vote and lose excitement when you heal / protect the target because it is only possible to save someone if you are a RT TP or mafia/nk just throws and attacks jailor N1 otherwise mafia will try to find you before killing the jailor) I think that there will be more doctors in ranked than bodyguards so when there is a mafioso that attacks jailor N1 he atleast takes out a bodyguard and hopes that it was the last tp alive, however if there is a doctor then mafia wasted a night and jailor is alive for a longer period of time until mafia finally finds all the doctors.

Good:

You can pick a role that you like better;
Play with a role that you think town will have a higher chance to win with.

PS: This role selection thing will only work on TP roles because if its TI roles or any other town roles. Otherwise it would break the balance of the game - lets say that you could choose between a sheriff (easier to make a fake claim) or a investigator (harder to fake claim) and you choose sheriff then the whole town goes like: Why did you pick the "scum" claim instead of the other role, hang him.*The guy who genuinely likes sheriff gets hanged*
PS2: Could role selection work on mafia, nk or ne roles? It might make it more fun to play mafia roles and maybe there would be less mafia leavers??!
VoteForNudes

Re: Choose between doctor or bodyguard in role selection

Postby Jerme » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:33 pm

This idea of yours has one cons that you haven't mentioned: It grants insight of the other existing roles, when two players decide to chose the same unique role. Who gets priority, what happens to the other? Will they get another shot or get a random role assigned?
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Choose between doctor or bodyguard in role selection

Postby kyuss420 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:23 am

Soooo you die by day 3 and have to watch your noob faction lose the game because they cant count off 3 RTs? sounds like my ranked career.. Also you are assuming mafia/nk arent going to kill you for ''taking the lead'' , that jailor is going to exe who you tell him to and that a passive town is going to be less passive just because youre barking orders/pushing passive townies for roles
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Return to Suggestions