Opt out to queue with players that are on a party/voicechat

Leave your suggestions about the game here!

Queue with single players without a party, or you don't mind to play againt players on a party?

I would like to have the option to only be queued with players without a party
50%
I don't mind to be queued with players that are alone or in a party
50%

Total votes : 12

Opt out to queue with players that are on a party/voicechat

Postby Dragnier » Sun May 09, 2021 2:22 pm

You know the story, you are playing a casual match and some players seem to be pretty convinced that other players are telling the truth without evidence, or they are strangely coordinated in their actions. During the match, some of them admit they are on a party or in voice chat playing together.

While being on a party and voice chat is allowed, and it is not against the rules as long as the players doesn't share information about the game, it can lead to situations like:

- Players target players that are not in their party (Lynch the outsiders first)
- Players that tend to believe and support other players just the sake of for being in their party (without any logic ingame)
- Players that communicate without whispering or typing in the chat. (Maybe not sharing in game info, but a whisper between two players always seems fishy because nobody knows what they are talking about)
- And of course, the inherent feeling that they might be teaming or cheating if one player/faction is doing extremely good. (Even if they claim that they are not sharing ingame info)

This situations are not fun for players that are playing on their own. Many people say "Just queue with your own friends then!", but still some enjoy playing alone, or don't have friends to play with.

My suggestion is to have the option to opt in or out to be queued with players that are queuing together in a party. (Default: Opt-in)
- If you decide to opt-in, you will be queued with players with/or without a party and voicechat, you will play normally as always.
- If you decide to opt-out, you will be queued only with players that are also playing alone. With this option, any kind of external communication is not allowed.

If a player decides to opt-out and it is discovered to be communicating with another player using external means, it will be considered cheating even if you are not sharing ingame information.

As this option will be something new, it is not clear yet which group will experience a higher waiting time on the queues.

This won't affect Ranked play as you can't join Ranked on a party.

Please share your opinions, experiences, and vote on the poll if you can.
Dragnier
Witch
Witch

Re: Opt out to queue with players that are on a party/voicec

Postby Joacgroso » Sun May 09, 2021 4:12 pm

The game already doesn't have many players, so starting even simple games would be pretty hard. Also, party members could just join a lobby at the same time to bypass the filter.

I imagine everyone choosing to opt out so they don't risk running into cheaters, which would lead to parties being unable to join any game, which would lead to everyone bypassing the filter.
Joacgroso wrote:I feel like I went from Light Yagami to Keiichi Maebara.

I still hope one day the game will have private lobbies. They would really help.
Also, please nerf vampire hunters.
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby kyuss420 » Mon May 10, 2021 3:32 am

every lobby i join has a party in it, and its not a 15 player party. This would lead to so many dead lobbies as a 7 player party can only match with an 8 player party.... or wait for players who didnt opt out to fill the lobby....

The other flip of the coin is, sometimes theres only 2 of us in my party. So whats the difference between us joining as a party and both joining the game at the same time individually? - apart from 1 of us joining a 14 player lobby, leaving, the other joining, leaving, joining again, leaving, joining, leaving etc etc and pissing off 14 people in the process (which i have done countless times and been cried at for trolling)

I mean, while it sounds good on paper, in practice certain modes will never fill.....Also the game would have no way to know if they are in a voice chat, its not facebook/google/apple/microsoft, its not watching every tab you have open on your computer/phone and every click you make.
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby Dragnier » Mon May 10, 2021 8:26 am

Yeah, the lobby problem is a different one. I always believed we need an unique/universal lobby, where you need to indicate what modes do you want to join, and be placed on a hidden queue that matches you with other players while you wait chatting with everybody, and when the matching is complete you are removed from the lobby and placed in a game straight away. I don't understand why each game has its own lobby. Perhaps because an universal lobby would be too chaotic?

Regardless, I don't think that the opt-in version (which would be the option selected by default) will be deserted. Many players don't bother to check the game options (nor the forums), and newbie players will join right away to games without worrying about parties or not. There will always be a big chunk of players queuing that way. This poll so far has 1/3 of the players saying they don't mind opting-in. Devs can test this option to see if there is a big change in queuing times, and if that happens they cant disregard it if that becomes a big concern.

Many players will definitely queue separately to bypass the filter as mentioned, which is expected. It is not guaranteed that they get in the same game together, and if they do, then on the worst case scenario we will still have the same situation as we have right now.

Finally, the game can't prevent players from using voice chat. Probably many players will secretly still use it (Which again, it is expected). But if a player claims to be using voice chat in any way in an opt-out mode, then it will be assumed as cheating even if there was no ingame information sharing.
If anyone wants to talk with his friends on voice chat (or teach them how to play the game, etc.), then they must opt-in and use the party option/voice chat option and do as they want without sharing game info. But if they want to bypass the filter, join the opt-out and still use voice chat, they can try and possibly will get away with it, but if they are caught using voice chat in that mode they will be penalized.
Dragnier
Witch
Witch

Postby Joacgroso » Mon May 10, 2021 11:57 am

An universal lobby seems fine, as long as custom is kept out of that (or at least, exists as a separate lobby that can also be accessed from the universal lobby). I do think the custom system I always mention would be better (see my signature), since players should have the chance to pick the custom rolelist they like the most, and they should also be able to become the host if they want to.

Other than that, the only particularly good thing of the current lobby system is that you can informally "blacklist" players in any gamemode that isn't ranked, which wouldn't be possible if there was only one lobby.

An universal lobby would require devs to make a chat room for more than 100 people, though. I don't know how hard that will be considering the only have chats for 15.
Joacgroso wrote:I feel like I went from Light Yagami to Keiichi Maebara.

I still hope one day the game will have private lobbies. They would really help.
Also, please nerf vampire hunters.
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby kyuss420 » Fri May 14, 2021 3:42 am

universal lobby, like ranked? That would suck balls, I would be matched in noob lobbies, when I purposley party up, so at least I have a challenge in the game with the smarter players I am lobbying with..... I would of quit ages ago if people couldnt party. No one in my partys cheats, talks about the current match out of game, or even targets non party members. Usually we are the first players that we target, as we know each others night plays, use each others night plays and all make the optimal night plays, so having one of us in an oppossing faction is quite dangerous for own faction.... but i guess thats the difference between 3000+ games players and 100+ players.

So its not even the parties thats the problem, its the players in them. Theres a chance youre gonna get stuck with cheats and throwers in any lobby...... assuming its only players that join in parties are a problem is kinda weird.....but idk, I play coven, not classic and most classic lobbies i have joined are exactly what you describe
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby sarysa » Fri May 14, 2021 11:22 pm

kyuss420 wrote:I mean, while it sounds good on paper, in practice certain modes will never fill.....Also the game would have no way to know if they are in a voice chat, its not facebook/google/apple/microsoft, its not watching every tab you have open on your computer/phone and every click you make.

Any application can scan for other processes, but I for one have discord open all the time, as I use it for World of Warcraft M+ and raiding. I don't use it in Town of Salem, however.
Plus, folks at work these days tend to keep Zoom open the entire work day...and if on call, at home as well.

But yeah, the big players aren't doing anything special. They've just convinced everyone to keep their stuff running all the time.
Favorite roles: Jailor, Executioner, Consigliere, Witch, Coven Leader, Guardian Angel
Least favorite: Framer, Disguiser, Jester
Most broken IMO:
Jester - Revert the 2.3.0 patch, give a swiss army knife of nighttime annoyance (ala Potion Master) to aid in fooling the town. Just some kind of agency.
Psychic - Game-breaking enough that I made a thread about it.

VIP - The one true mode.
sarysa
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby kyuss420 » Sat May 15, 2021 3:19 am

sarysa wrote:
kyuss420 wrote:I mean, while it sounds good on paper, in practice certain modes will never fill.....Also the game would have no way to know if they are in a voice chat, its not facebook/google/apple/microsoft, its not watching every tab you have open on your computer/phone and every click you make.

Any application can scan for other processes, but I for one have discord open all the time, as I use it for World of Warcraft M+ and raiding. I don't use it in Town of Salem, however.
Plus, folks at work these days tend to keep Zoom open the entire work day...and if on call, at home as well.

But yeah, the big players aren't doing anything special. They've just convinced everyone to keep their stuff running all the time.

apps can only do that if you give them permission to tho, which ToS doesnt ask for, if you play on browser...Steam may have it in their agreement, idk, i dont use steam. But youre right, I also have discord open the entire time im online, wether im playing ToS or not.
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Return to Suggestions