A [Newbie] tag

Leave your suggestions about the game here!

A [Newbie] tag

Postby Dragnier » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:05 pm

Many people enjoy playing in classic, and that is also the place were all the new players take their first steps into the game.

More than once you will notice a player making mistakes, leading to being roasted by the rest accused of gamethrowing, trolling, teaming, etc. Most likely many of them end up being reported as well.

Because new players are still learning the game, and usually are not guilty for gamethrowing during their first 10 games, I think it would be a good idea to create a [Newbie] tag for players that are still learning the games during their first 10 games.

This tag will could be shown next to the player name as [Newbie] or maybe change the name of the player to another color. Whatever works best.

With this:

- Players can be more kind with newbies, as they are clearly labeled as such with this tag.
- Players (from any team) can quickly give some general advice, like reminding them to write their last will, or if the player is mafia, other mafia members can recommend him who to target, or what to claim.
- Players will be less inclined to report the newbies if they make a mistake, as they are clearly aware they are still learning the game.
- Players will keep in mind that as a newbie player they are prone to make mistakes, so they won't assume they are an evil role automatically because they made a mistake.
- It will reduce the reports on newbie players (which end up being closed automatically).
- Reduce the stress for new players, as other will know they are truly newbies and still learning the game.
- And as a downside, regular players won't be able to claim they are new to the game as an excuse for making mistakes, or if they are evil roles and try to pose as newbies to trick townies.
- Also, as a downside other factions will know they are easy targets as they are prone to make mistakes.

This [Newbie] tag will be automatically removed after the player finishes his 10th game.
Losing this newbie tag means the player can also be reported normally if he breaks any rule like the rest of the players.

Feel free to comment and improve this idea, if you believe if will be interesting to implement.
Dragnier
Witch
Witch

Re: A [Newbie] tag

Postby cob709 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:33 pm

I would support giving them a newbie tag. However, they shouldn't receive any benefits(like being able to privately communicate) from it.
I SEE ALL
cob709
Mayor
Mayor

Postby StlnSP » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:35 pm

Pretty sure no one would care even if this is implemented.

And it is pretty unlikely that salty reports are gonna be guiltied anyways.
It's short for Stallion, but you can call me Stin.

FM Record: 0 / 0 / 0

Image Spoiler:
Goodbye, GrandChase.
StlnSP
Disguiser
Disguiser

Postby EqsyLootz » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:50 pm

StlnSP wrote:Pretty sure no one would care even if this is implemented.

All gamethrowing reports issued to players with less than 10 games are automatically closed.
Today is the first day I changed my signature after 2 full years. Unfortunately I have no idea what to write here.
General Salem Community Accomplishments.
~~Master Elo Ranked Player: 2.1k Elo~~
I'm also a damn Sunflower, Deal with it.
EqsyLootz
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby StlnSP » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:52 pm

EqsyLootz wrote:

All gamethrowing reports issued to players with less than 10 games are automatically closed.

Literally no reason to do it, then.
It's short for Stallion, but you can call me Stin.

FM Record: 0 / 0 / 0

Image Spoiler:
Goodbye, GrandChase.
StlnSP
Disguiser
Disguiser

Postby alex1234321 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:32 pm

I like this idea. I think the number of games should increase and would argue that anyone who isn't eligible for Ranked should have the newbie tag. ToS is complicated and it can take months or even years to get all the mechanics down.

I think this would be helpful for things like not claiming on the stand, which no experienced player would do unless they are gamethrowing, jesting, or pretending to be new. I think it would be fair for the gamethrowing rules to be slightly stricter for players without the tag. Like not claiming on the stand, claiming an impossible role, or even not writing a will as Town. I prefer to keep the gamethrowing rules more relaxed because weird situations come up often and people make mistakes, but there are definitely plays that new players often make that no experienced player would.

I do think most players would be more forgiving toward newer players. If I'm Mafia, I might explain to a new player why it's bad to kill the person who asks for TPLO rather than immediately yelling at them. Not everyone will do that, but I think most players would be somewhat more forgiving if a new player makes a mistake.

EqsyLootz wrote:

This isn't a good idea because even new players should know not to do some things like revealing all the Mafia day 1 and then leaving. The rules should be relaxed, but they shouldn't be completely removed.
#SaveTheTG

Tired of trying to play discord Mafia games and not getting enough people? Join Town of Morons! We now have our own bot!

Credit to PurpleSidewalk1
alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby EqsyLootz » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:48 pm

alex1234321 wrote:
EqsyLootz wrote:

This isn't a good idea because even new players should know not to do some things like revealing all the Mafia day 1 and then leaving. The rules should be relaxed, but they shouldn't be completely removed.

if the intention is clear and a blatant history is involved of which the player in question is abusing this their account could be suspended and or banned based on prior history.
Today is the first day I changed my signature after 2 full years. Unfortunately I have no idea what to write here.
EqsyLootz
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby Dragnier » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:43 am

alex1234321 wrote:I like this idea. I think the number of games should increase and would argue that anyone who isn't eligible for Ranked should have the newbie tag. ToS is complicated and it can take months or even years to get all the mechanics down.

I agree that the number of games could be increased if needed. I put 10 games because that is the minimum number of games required for the player to be considered "educated enough" to gamethrow on purpose.
I don't agree with keeping the tag for as long as the player isn't eligible for Ranked, as a player that never touches Ranked Practice could abuse this if he only plays Classic thus staying a Newbie forever.

cob709 wrote:I would support giving them a newbie tag. However, they shouldn't receive any benefits(like being able to privately communicate) from it.

Of course, no extra benefits at all. The only benefit would be to be clearly labeled as a Newbie, which improves how other players interacts with them, without any kind of advantages in game.
Dragnier
Witch
Witch

Postby dolphina » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:25 pm

this tbh
Hi. I'm Caleb, and you're watching Disney Channel.

vocaloid KAITO #1 fan

He/they pronouns. Trans rights! I have fifteen names and infinite anxiety. I am the transgender masculine.

PM me for my Discord!
I’m a self proclaimed anarchist, and a god of chaos (apparently).
My stinky FM Record
dolphina
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby Descender » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:30 pm

someones gonna harass them for existing soooo /nosupport
Possibly known as TodaysStory
TG Frequenter and Host
she/her
Descender
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby SilverCruz » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:38 pm

I won't argue with it, but I feel like some people only go to Classic because Un/Ranked doesn't have a Neutral Killing and Custom is dead.

By the way, in the meantime of the devs ignoring feedback completely, I encourage people to go to Custom and set up games with the Ranked V3 Role List. That'd help break up the monotony if that became a common understanding.
I know what I'm doing, generally, but I have no grace at all when things start to spin out of control.

I'd like to address the latter part, but I wouldn't know the first thing about that.
SilverCruz
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby Descender » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:52 pm

SilverCruz wrote:I won't argue with it, but I feel like some people only go to Classic because Un/Ranked doesn't have a Neutral Killing and Custom is dead.

By the way, in the meantime of the devs ignoring feedback completely, I encourage people to go to Custom and set up games with the Ranked V3 Role List. That'd help break up the monotony if that became a common understanding.

devs are doing smth rn
they read suggestions when they dont know what to do
Possibly known as TodaysStory
TG Frequenter and Host
she/her
Descender
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby SilverCruz » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:23 pm

And they won't tell us what. I think it looks like a visual overhaul, which is worthless and does not address any of the actual problems with the game.
I know what I'm doing, generally, but I have no grace at all when things start to spin out of control.

I'd like to address the latter part, but I wouldn't know the first thing about that.
SilverCruz
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby EqsyLootz » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:32 pm

SilverCruz wrote:And they won't tell us what. I think it looks like a visual overhaul, which is worthless and does not address any of the actual problems with the game.

*insert large paragraph of the same Jailor Issue you've plagued into every other thread in the forums as well as TMK*
jk :p
EqsyLootz
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby kyuss420 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:45 am

with most of the towns I see, the tag should last 500-800 games.
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:08 am

kyuss420 wrote:with most of the towns I see, the tag should last 500-800 games.

Nono, thats the "1st grader" tag, for people who cannot count to 6 and multitply for 2 to see that they got maj
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby Dragnier » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:12 am

Well ToS is not a newbie friendly game. Most new players need to learn the game by watching videos or reading the wiki, as the game is too fast paced and confusing to learn it by just playing if you have no clue about how the game works or the game mechanics. Let's keep in mind this is a game were players are trying to deceive each other, so this adds to the confusion as well.

If the newbie tag is not a good idea (Because other players won't care, it would be abused, etc.) then maybe the game can add small demos that teaches players about the game while using the game interface, pointing to important markers as where to find your will, or even some random tutorials for townie/evil/neutral roles (with reference to the wiki for more in-depth explanations and strategies).
Dragnier
Witch
Witch

Postby Joacgroso » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:36 am

Yes, tutorials are a good idea. The game had one years ago, but it was removed. If the devs don't want to program a tutorial they can always upload one to youtube and link it ingame.
Reworking custom to allow private games and longer phases would help newbies learn the basics too.
Joacgroso wrote:I feel like I went from Light Yagami to Keiichi Maebara.

I still hope one day the game will have private lobbies. They would really help.
Also, please nerf vampire hunters.
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby SilverCruz » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:43 am

I mean it's almost like a five round demo is a really bad way to get people interested in a game like this or something...

SilverCruz
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby MarsGodofWar » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:21 pm

Would make the game more toxic lol /no supoort
MarsGodofWar
Witch
Witch

Return to Suggestions