Alive single Lovers shouldn't be ignored by game

Post any known bugs here!

Alive single Lovers shouldn't be ignored by game

Postby nicholasleejy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:29 pm

Recently I had a Lovers game where I was Mayor who had a lover, then I died and was resurrected. There were 3 people left: Mayor(myself), Arso(loverless), and Pirate. The game auto gave the Arso the win. At first I thought it was a bug, but after checking it might not be considered as a bug?

Apparently, when you're town, if your lover disconnects or if you died and get resurrected, you are ignored when determining the win conditions. The game will not treat you as an opposing faction(or treats you as dead?), so in my case of Mayor vs Arso vs Pirate, the game just sees it as Arso vs Pirate.

Since it's not exactly a bug, posting this here in suggestions. This just seems a bit broken and should be changed since Town has a chance to win but the game just ignores that. Not really a groundbreaking suggestion, but a suggestion none the less.
*Town puts the pirate on trial for killing a townie*

YAAAAARRRRRGGGHH, HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW I PLUNDERED A TOWNIE ?!?!

*Town lynches the pirate*

Lesson: Don't get mad at the pirate, leave them be or tell them who to plunder and he'll oblige. (most of the time)
nicholasleejy
Jester
Jester

Re: Alive single Lovers shouldn't be ignored by game

Postby kyuss420 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:02 am

be thankful. Back in my day, if your lover left, you died...

but that situation is weird, are you sure the pirate didnt leave before the final day started?
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby nicholasleejy » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:48 am

kyuss420 wrote:be thankful. Back in my day, if your lover left, you died...

I am thankful for all the work and changes put into the game to make things better, that doesn't mean the game can't be further improved.

kyuss420 wrote:but that situation is weird, are you sure the pirate didnt leave before the final day started?

Yes I'm sure. What happened was this:

1. Night 4, I got pirated but I won and didn't die. Godfather killed the last Townie, Arso ignited (which extra killed that Townie, RIP).
2. Day 5, there's the Mayor(myself), Pirate, and GodFather-Arsonist Lovers. All players know each other roles by this point.
3. I voted up the Godfather. Pirate hadn't won yet and said he would go after the Arso, since they're the only possible target.
4. Godfather got lynched. Game declared Arsonist wins, and THEN the Pirate left. (refer to screenshot)

https://imgur.com/a/LFFAkXM

Lesson: Don't get mad at the pirate, leave them be or tell them who to plunder and he'll oblige. (most of the time)
nicholasleejy
Jester
Jester

Postby ScarfVendetta » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:21 am

I don't see how this cannot be considered a bug.

I'm going to ignore the Pirate because it is a non-factional role, which means it is essentially similar to an Executioner/Jester/Survivor/Guardian Angel/Amnesiac. It is not considered it's own faction and as such it doesn't have any effect on preventing a traditional factional victory when all other factions are dead (it can still prevent a victory from being awarded by the stalemate detector due to it's vote).

In the situation you describe, the Mayor and the Arsonist were on opposing factions as the Arsonist did not have a Town lover. As 2 opposing factions are present, the game should continue. Even if the Pirate did disconnect prematurely, which was not the case here as visible in the screenshot you provided, Mayor is not a role that can trigger the stalemate detector so that is not the cause of this either. There is zero reason for the game to end early.

The only reason I can think of for why this might occur is if this setup occurred after a lynch, perhaps the game mistakenly believed that you were about to die of heartbreak because your lover had died, and thus ended the game early. This would be a bug, as obviously you were not about to die of heartbreak. In fact it was the opposite, as the Arsonist was about to die of heartbreak.
Just some Sheriff who didn't claim until Day 5, and has no leads whatsoever

No need to be alarmed...
ScarfVendetta
Summer 2020 Winner
Summer 2020 Winner

Postby nicholasleejy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:32 am

ScarfVendetta wrote:I don't see how this cannot be considered a bug.

It's not that I don't consider it a bug, I'm just basing this off of what a moderator had said on another recent post describing the same issue: https://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=104734&p=3319125

ScarfVendetta wrote:The only reason I can think of for why this might occur is if this setup occurred after a lynch, perhaps the game mistakenly believed that you were about to die of heartbreak because your lover had died, and thus ended the game early. This would be a bug, as obviously you were not about to die of heartbreak. In fact it was the opposite, as the Arsonist was about to die of heartbreak.

I've managed to search a few bug reports that describe a similar issue to this, and from what I can understand, a revived Mayor is being treated as a loverless Neutral somehow. Supposedly this is a "Hull issue", whatever that means, and has been around for quite some time. If someone can confirm this is a bug, I'll repost this to the Bug Reports forum, or have a mod move it for me.

nicholasleejy
Jester
Jester

Postby ScarfVendetta » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:48 am

nicholasleejy wrote:
ScarfVendetta wrote:I don't see how this cannot be considered a bug.

It's not that I don't consider it a bug, I'm just basing this off of what a moderator had said on another recent post describing the same issue: https://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=104734&p=3319125

That is a different situation, as that was a Lovers victory. It's an intended game mechanic that living pairs of lovers can win with other living pairs of lovers (even if they would otherwise be opposing factions) once all loverless players are dead. Yes, that post does still involve a resurrected town member, but the result was still a Lovers victory. That resurrected townie would still have won the game. That was why it was debatable whether or not that situation was really a bug.

This is different from your situation because your game ended with an Arsonist win. This meant the Mayor lost the game, despite the fact that there was no reason for the game to end prematurely. There was a Mayor (resurrected, formerly a lover), an Arsonist (lover was just lynched) and a loverless Pirate. This game should have either continued if the loverless Pirate was forcing the game to continue, or possibly ended in a Lovers victory if it was not. For the game to end with an Arsonist victory can only be a bug.
Just some Sheriff who didn't claim until Day 5, and has no leads whatsoever

No need to be alarmed...
ScarfVendetta
Summer 2020 Winner
Summer 2020 Winner

Return to Bug Reports