New Monthly Update! 4/2/19

Announcements made here about the game and the company.

New Monthly Update! 4/2/19

Postby shapesifter13 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:53 pm

Hey Townies!

For those of you that don't know, I am Shapesifter13, Community Manager for BlankMediaGames. You might see me lurking around in the suggestions, feedback, ask questions, announcements, and bug reports sections of the forums. I am the link between the community and the devs. I am here today to bring you all a few updates on what we have been working on over the past few months.

As some of you may, or may not know, we launched the mobile version of Town of Salem back in October. This launch was pretty major as the mobile version is using our Unity code base that we are currently working on back porting to web/Steam. This launch was important because the web/Steam versions are currently written in Flash, a coding language that will no longer be supported in 2020. This port has been our main focus since the Coven expansion, and is close to being fully released.

We are currently working on finishing up a few different UI's that still need some tweaking/improvements, but then we should be able to launch a beta for the Unity port. This beta will be limited to Steam users, and will be an opt in beta. I don't yet have an exact time frame for this. We are still a few weeks out from having anything solid to say, but maybe next update I will have a time frame. Tons of optimizations have been made to this port of the game, and we can't wait to get into users hands to see what feedback you all have!

Some of these optimizations included normalizing asset sizes such as houses, or pets that when the art was done they were maybe made to small and had to be upscaled, or to big, and they had to be downscaled. In terms of programming we have been working on getting everything working on a local Steam build.
shapesifter13
Developer
Developer

Re: New Monthly Update! 4/2/19

Postby Gabrio » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:33 pm

YAY! You do an awesome job guys and all of the problems from the last 6 months didn't help you but you made it so congrats! :Clapping:
Hey, a signature really? you expect me to have one? no seriously just scroll down to the other replies or go to another post, no signature here, no need to continue reading, nothing here, no seriously, why are you still reading? i'm telling you, no signature, stop reading! STOP, ok, you really want one? really really? here goes nothing: NO! ok you can stop reading, i already told you there isn't anything here, don't continue, oh the character lim
Gabrio
Civilian
Civilian

Postby Chemist1422 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:20 pm

Thanks for starting these up, it's good to be able to see what's being worked on.
mist ~ she/her

i guess this is goodbye?
(still here for danganronpa i guess)

stop sending reports to me i'm not a tos game moderator
Chemist1422
FM Game Moderator
FM Game Moderator

Postby EpicEmperor » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:39 pm

Great! Me is happy. I'm not exactly sure about the new art, I like what we have now- but Just getting it out of the way is all most of us are really asking.
EpicEmperor
Jester
Jester

Postby MysticMismagius » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:20 pm

Oh my God a Steam beta. Am I dreaming? I've been hoping for this ever since the mobile beta, but I never thought it would actually happen. I'm so hype! :hyper:
MysticMismagius
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby IWrath » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:16 pm

Any news is always good news. :)

Now we just need to know about the next ranked season, unless the assumption of it will come will come with Unity public release is correct.
All you really need to know about where I stand is it's somewhere between Amazing Grace, Back In Black, and Simple Man.
IWrath
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Jerme » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:01 pm

IWrath wrote:Any news is always good news. :)

Now we just need to know about the next ranked season, unless the assumption of it will come will come with Unity public release is correct.

Its planned to a have new season come when they are able to brign something new, as in some additions to gameplay, and/or role changes. Thus it will likely happen a short time after the port is done when they got the chance to update something or add a new role.
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby IWrath » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:42 am

Jerme wrote:
IWrath wrote:Any news is always good news. :)

Its planned to a have new season come when they are able to brign something new, as in some additions to gameplay, and/or role changes. Thus it will likely happen a short time after the port is done when they got the chance to update something or add a new role.

TBH you should make a poll seeing how the community responds to answer of it's not even coming with the Unity release.
I for one, would still do my normal gameplay and trials, but most of the people I know are already gone or at wits end.. Ranked Masters has reached such a saturation point, it's not worth the effort without putting together a queue. Even the reports are starting to show that at this point, not just the queues. Playtime has vastly overtaken the people with skill still willing to play 3 games a day and that base gets smaller and smaller.
All you really need to know about where I stand is it's somewhere between Amazing Grace, Back In Black, and Simple Man.
IWrath
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Leharn » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:36 pm

Thank you guys for the really good news. I love it whenever Developers, whether Indie or a large corparation, gets in touch with their community and fans and updates them every so and often. BMG all the way.
Leharn
Witch
Witch

Postby BasicFourLife » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:39 am

Leharn wrote:Thank you guys for the really good news. I love it whenever Developers, whether Indie or a large corparation, gets in touch with their community and fans and updates them every so and often. BMG all the way.

That's the biggest blatant, racist lie I've seen.
RNG is never good for any strategy based game. Please learn the definition of what that means, especially if you're one of the people constantly defending it.

FM / TG: 5 - 10 - 8
BasicFourLife
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Postby Chemist1422 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:49 am

BasicFourLife wrote:
Leharn wrote:Thank you guys for the really good news. I love it whenever Developers, whether Indie or a large corparation, gets in touch with their community and fans and updates them every so and often. BMG all the way.

Yew wot m8
mist ~ she/her

i guess this is goodbye?
(still here for danganronpa i guess)

stop sending reports to me i'm not a tos game moderator
Chemist1422
FM Game Moderator
FM Game Moderator

Postby Leharn » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:05 pm

BasicFourLife wrote:

u wot m8. u wont to fite me m8 1v1?
Leharn
Witch
Witch

Postby BasicFourLife » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:52 am

Leharn wrote:
BasicFourLife wrote:

u wot m8. u wont to fite me m8 1v1?

im just speaking the truth mate, if you look at the past year or two its been pretty bad, not to mention the fact how roles such as Retributionist (and a bunch of other roles) havent been changed or have been but those changes were awful, its been almost 5 years since ToS came out and BMG to this day has been too ignorant, the bot thing/unity have only taken about 2 years from them, they had 3 other years to do anything about it
RNG is never good for any strategy based game. Please learn the definition of what that means, especially if you're one of the people constantly defending it.

BasicFourLife
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Postby Jerme » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:34 am

There have been other changes and stuff that was worked on, the Coven expansion, for example. BMG is not a big company, so its not always possible to have balance changes released every 2 weeks.
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby BasicFourLife » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:03 pm

Jerme wrote:There have been other changes and stuff that was worked on, the Coven expansion, for example. BMG is not a big company, so its not always possible to have balance changes released every 2 weeks.

its not every 2 weeks, its not even once per month, its not even once per 2 months, its more like 1-5 minor changes every 3-4 months

BasicFourLife
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Postby BasicFourLife » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:47 am

KatiyaKramer wrote:
BasicFourLife wrote:
Jerme wrote:There have been other changes and stuff that was worked on, the Coven expansion, for example. BMG is not a big company, so its not always possible to have balance changes released every 2 weeks.

its not every 2 weeks, its not even once per month, its not even once per 2 months, its more like 1-5 minor changes every 3-4 months

Again, BMG is a very small team, and considering that Flash has the impending date of doom coming in a year, they need to get Unity up and running with as few bugs as possible before then.

And before you say 'They've had years to prep for this', you need to recall that they had the Mobile port to take care of, which is on the Unity engine. That is up and running with some issues yet, but it's up. Then there was the botter issue, which took quite some effort to deal with and has resulted in the jump to P2P. Then there was the Data breach over the holidays, and BMG had to suddenly work to make the servers more secure, send out the mass email, etc.

Yeah the excuse of Unity is getting old, but that has, understandably, been their top priority because getting the game up on that engine is a point of do or die for TOS, and they need all hands on deck for this.

Before Unity, the changes were still minimal.

BasicFourLife
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Postby Jerme » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:46 pm

The also created an other Mobile client, before the change to unity happened, also the Coven expasion wasn't created in a short time, along with the quite controversal roles of the Vampire and the Vampire Hunter.

Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby BasicFourLife » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:47 am

Jerme wrote:The also created an other Mobile client, before the change to unity happened, also the Coven expasion wasn't created in a short time, along with the quite controversal roles of the Vampire and the Vampire Hunter.

The Coven should have never been created to begin with. And what about Vamp/VH, there wasn't much done with them.

BasicFourLife
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Postby BlueAnubis » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:37 pm

BasicFourLife wrote:
Jerme wrote:The also created an other Mobile client, before the change to unity happened, also the Coven expasion wasn't created in a short time, along with the quite controversal roles of the Vampire and the Vampire Hunter.

The Coven should have never been created to begin with. And what about Vamp/VH, there wasn't much done with them.

I agree with that 'The Coven' was external Kickstarter project (alongside with Steam and Mobile version), and it's a "P2P DLC" so with Kickstarter money they could've done it without leaving the main game without real updates for centuries.
BlueAnubis

Postby Jerme » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:37 pm

@BlueAnubis: Keep in mind that then the expansion would still not be released, or recently, since as I said, the devs are not many, thus they cannot do a couple of thing simultaneously.

Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Kaladef » Wed May 01, 2019 4:33 pm

An admittedly crappy question, but is there a rough ETA on Unity at this point? The ranked saturation is destroying my soul and I was wondering if you guys have any thoughts about how the reset will look after Unity? I'm all for a complete ranked wipe where nobody has anything on the new update to balance all the time we've had to grind since last year, I think that could be a good time. I hardly recognize most of the people i'm playing with at the 2100ish mark and that didn't used to be the case
Kaladef
Witch
Witch

Postby MysticMismagius » Wed May 01, 2019 10:32 pm

Kaladef wrote:An admittedly crappy question, but is there a rough ETA on Unity at this point? The ranked saturation is destroying my soul and I was wondering if you guys have any thoughts about how the reset will look after Unity? I'm all for a complete ranked wipe where nobody has anything on the new update to balance all the time we've had to grind since last year, I think that could be a good time. I hardly recognize most of the people i'm playing with at the 2100ish mark and that didn't used to be the case
Current ETA is “when it’s ready.” I don’t think BMG wants another situation where Unity gets promised within a time range and then doesn’t come out over two months after that time range has ended. My guess is that we probably won’t know when it’s coming out until a week or two before it’s ready to ship.
MysticMismagius
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby shapesifter13 » Fri May 03, 2019 7:36 pm

I will be posting the next update Sunday I believe. We are going to get some nice screenshots to post so you all can see the new Ui for Steam/web.
shapesifter13
Developer
Developer

Postby brStalker » Mon May 06, 2019 5:50 am

shapesifter13 wrote:I will be posting the next update Sunday I believe. We are going to get some nice screenshots to post so you all can see the new Ui for Steam/web.
It’s Monday morning. What happened to the update?
brStalker
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby orangeandblack5 » Mon May 06, 2019 7:37 am

It's coming I'm sure - these are definitely a great move overall, and I for one am willing to wait a bit to see one.
Spoiler:
SwampRabbit wrote:your idea is that no town should ever be able to confirm themselves as town.

that is the dumbest idea I think I have heard.

ElderSivart wrote:I'm confused as to why BMG made a UI for Pirate and not Hypnotist.

Sarah Thorpe wrote:Role Ideas is great for masochists.
orangeandblack5
Halloween 2017 Winner
Halloween 2017 Winner

Next

Return to Announcements