Possible data breach

Announcements made here about the game and the company.

Re: Possible data breach

Postby flossiebell » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:33 pm

Dash2 wrote:All payments go through PayPal so it's not like they know any of that stuff unless they conveniently decide to hack PayPal


What if we pay through Apple? Will our Apple information be safe as well?
flossiebell
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:58 am

Re: Possible data breach

Postby maggieryan27 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:34 pm

So what can someone do with my IP, I know it has my location and stuff but is there any way I can protect it without a VPN?
maggieryan27
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:26 am

Re: Possible data breach

Postby KatiyaKramer » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:36 pm

flossiebell wrote:
Dash2 wrote:All payments go through PayPal so it's not like they know any of that stuff unless they conveniently decide to hack PayPal


What if we pay through Apple? Will our Apple information be safe as well?

Payment information was not touched in this breach. This was confirmed by multiple devs several times throughout the thread.
Favorite roles: Jester, Witch, Consig, Veteran, Vampire Hunter, Jailor, Lookout, aannnndddd sometimes vampire.
Least favorite roles: Medium and Survivor

Image
All hail Shelbow
User avatar
KatiyaKramer
St. Patrick's 2019 Winner
St. Patrick's 2019 Winner
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:51 am

Re: Possible data breach

Postby Naru2008 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:40 pm

maggieryan27 wrote:So what can someone do with my IP, I know it has my location and stuff but is there any way I can protect it without a VPN?

Depends on if you have a static IP or not. If you unplug your modem and wait a few minutes, then you can check and see if your IP has been changed. If so, then you don't really need to do anything otherwise to change it.

You also can use proxies, but I wouldn't rely on them. and they don't offer what VPNs do.
I cannot reset your password, change your email, etc. Please email the Developers via info@blankmediagames.com and wait for them to respond.


Frequently Asked Questions | Give Feedback | Report a Bug | Appeal your Ban
User avatar
Naru2008
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15012
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:45 pm
Location: USA

Re: Possible data breach

Postby Flavorable » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:41 pm

maggieryan27 wrote:So what can someone do with my IP, I know it has my location and stuff but is there any way I can protect it without a VPN?


People can't do anything with your IP, except technically use your pc for a DDos attack if you have extremely lax router/modem security. Most ISPs use dynamic IP-addresses nowadays anyway, so if you don't feel secure, try contacting them and asking them how to reset your IP.
Steam ToS Moderator and Bug Report buttinsky.
Image
User avatar
Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 3116
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:24 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Possible data breach

Postby YFYDB » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:48 pm

Naru2008 wrote:
YFYDB wrote:Ooff, it's a good news.

But... Well then, i am a paranoic. Okey, they have exact info about my account inside the game. Activity info if i remember the name well. So, is it possible, that if a player played several hundreds of games, they might analize the data against hacked player and use the info from analyse to blackmail?


Well, it makes sense. You might have revealed some mental diseases while playing, but no one cared, and now hackers put it all together, and blackmail you by your e-mail (spam emails).

I doubt that the amount of games you have, TP, MP, etc would be of any value to anyone.


... How is this community supposed not to be toxic with those mods? I asked seriously.
Okey, let's be reconclied with the fact that moderators will never be a fine people.


Okey, so... What can actually the hackers do with those data? I don't understand that.

Okey, to be honest, i rarely check my e-mail, but when i do that i check both normal, and spam, and the basket. But i understand, you have so many mails, you have no time to check them all in just one checking, but as i said, you should have expected that attack. Why?

Emm... Ages ago you said, that you had to make game not rely on Flash (or something like that) before 2020, and now we have 2019. You have hardly any time. Therefore i think the evil-spamming-bots' team is just trying to slow you down, because, as i had read, if you don't stop relying on Flash, the game will crush. So i blame you and of course i blame those hackers, but they are probably mentally ill, so i can't make them understand, what they have done.
My avatar is a random picture found in the internet.
User avatar
YFYDB
Survivor
Survivor
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:08 am

Re: Possible data breach

Postby Naru2008 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:52 pm

YFYDB wrote:
Naru2008 wrote:
YFYDB wrote:Ooff, it's a good news.

But... Well then, i am a paranoic. Okey, they have exact info about my account inside the game. Activity info if i remember the name well. So, is it possible, that if a player played several hundreds of games, they might analize the data against hacked player and use the info from analyse to blackmail?


Well, it makes sense. You might have revealed some mental diseases while playing, but no one cared, and now hackers put it all together, and blackmail you by your e-mail (spam emails).

I doubt that the amount of games you have, TP, MP, etc would be of any value to anyone.


... How is this community supposed not to be toxic with those mods? I asked seriously.
Okey, let's be reconclied with the fact that moderators will never be a fine people.


Okey, so... What can actually the hackers do with those data? I don't understand that.

Okey, to be honest, i rarely check my e-mail, but when i do that i check both normal, and spam, and the basket. But i understand, you have so many mails, you have no time to check them all in just one checking, but as i said, you should have expected that attack. Why?

Emm... Ages ago you said, that you had to make game not rely on Flash (or something like that) before 2020, and now we have 2019. You have hardly any time. Therefore i think the evil-spamming-bots' team is just trying to slow you down, because, as i had read, if you don't stop relying on Flash, the game will crush. So i blame you and of course i blame those hackers, but they are probably mentally ill, so i can't make them understand, what they have done.

It was a legitimate statement, how was I being toxic by explaining that the account information as far as game-concerns go would likely not be of any value to them.
Moderators can be a fine people, and I am. If you're taking something the way it isn't intended, that's on you, not me. I was being 100% genuine, but if you're taking it as me being sarcastic or otherwise rude (I don't see how), then that's an issue with you, not me.

Unity is going to be before the end of 2019. I believe the statement was the first quarter of this year? (A dev can correct me if I am wrong.) Flash will 'be dead' 2020. and as for what Hackers do with the data they get; they usually just sell it for money. It's only a monetary gain for them, and they (usually) have no interest with such information themselves.
I cannot reset your password, change your email, etc. Please email the Developers via info@blankmediagames.com and wait for them to respond.


Frequently Asked Questions | Give Feedback | Report a Bug | Appeal your Ban
User avatar
Naru2008
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15012
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:45 pm
Location: USA

Re: Possible data breach

Postby YFYDB » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:56 pm

Why didn;t you answer only a part of my message :( The rest is way more important.
Maybe you were not rude, but after 31st December i would rather stay strict to moderators, i don't wanna hurt anyone's feelings, but as i say - distance and suspicious.
My avatar is a random picture found in the internet.
User avatar
YFYDB
Survivor
Survivor
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:08 am

Re: Possible data breach

Postby Naru2008 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:57 pm

YFYDB wrote:Why didn;t you answer only a part of my message :( The rest is way more important.
Maybe you were not rude, but after 31st December i would rather stay strict to moderators, i don't wanna hurt anyone's feelings, but as i say - distance and suspicious.

I did. Wrote this on a phone. Accidentally clicked submit. Edited it. ^^
I cannot reset your password, change your email, etc. Please email the Developers via info@blankmediagames.com and wait for them to respond.


Frequently Asked Questions | Give Feedback | Report a Bug | Appeal your Ban
User avatar
Naru2008
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15012
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:45 pm
Location: USA

Re: Possible data breach

Postby YFYDB » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:01 pm

You mean, admins have enough time? O.O Okey, so now i don't understand the point of hacking this game...

Okey, i need to go to sleep, 'cause the cholera named "school" forces me to, goodnight. I let you, "adults", talk about that problem, but remember TALK LIKE ADULTS, LOl
My avatar is a random picture found in the internet.
User avatar
YFYDB
Survivor
Survivor
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:08 am

Re: Possible data breach

Postby Naru2008 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:05 pm

YFYDB wrote:You mean, admins have enough time? O.O Okey, so now i don't understand the point of hacking this game...

Okey, i need to go to sleep, 'cause the cholera named "school" forces me to, goodnight. I let you, "adults", talk about that problem, but remember TALK LIKE ADULTS, LOl

People hack things to ruin people's fun. Not all hacking is bad. There are ethical hackers and non-ethical. This would be an example of unethical hacking. People can make tons of money off data, regardless how little or big, or how relevant or non. There's always someone looking to gather such information, as IPs, Emails, etc. While ethical hackers may hack a website/game to make an exploit apparent and give Devs the chance to fix it, unethical hackers are likely to exploit it to the full extent for person gain, whether the gratification of ruining people's time, fun, etc, or selling this info for money.
I cannot reset your password, change your email, etc. Please email the Developers via info@blankmediagames.com and wait for them to respond.


Frequently Asked Questions | Give Feedback | Report a Bug | Appeal your Ban
User avatar
Naru2008
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15012
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:45 pm
Location: USA

Re: Possible data breach

Postby Bodhrak » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:20 pm

Most users ever online was 9984 on Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:39 pm

Huh, now there's also DDoS attempts?

Some people here seriously overreact, nobody cares about your game data.
There's only three things hackers are interested in - and they typically will try to sell that information rather than using it themself:
1. Email: Mostly used for spam-/ fishing-mails. So brace yourself! Unless you're dumb and fall for one, this is mostly annoying. Obviously use a strong password for the Email!
2. Combination of Email / Username / Password: Hackers may try to use the info on other sites. Only really useful if the same combination is used in several places - which you should avoid anyway!
3. Dead account with weak password: May be used for some more botting / spamming in game. Only if our old botter friends are behind this.
You can call me Bod.
No, that's not my real name. Thanks for asking.
Bodhrak
Witch
Witch
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:26 am

Re: Possible data breach

Postby magiconic » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:35 pm

I just wanted to let yall know I understand you guys (the team) must be under a lot of stress, and I doubt you'd ignore this on purpose. Though I hope you have looked into putting some system into place to prevent such a long delay in case it happens again. Just to make sure I understand (I've never had this happen before):
I log into TOS through the steam button. The email connected to my steam is my main e-mail, and I typically have a base I use for my passwords. Should I change my password on essentially every site?
magiconic
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat May 20, 2017 11:23 pm

Re: Possible data breach

Postby Flavorable » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:47 pm

magiconic wrote:I just wanted to let yall know I understand you guys (the team) must be under a lot of stress, and I doubt you'd ignore this on purpose. Though I hope you have looked into putting some system into place to prevent such a long delay in case it happens again. Just to make sure I understand (I've never had this happen before):
I log into TOS through the steam button. The email connected to my steam is my main e-mail, and I typically have a base I use for my passwords. Should I change my password on essentially every site?


Yes, if you re-use your password (and for your own safety, please stop doing that), it is highly advised you change every site the password is linked to.

And don't forget, when you change your ToS password, you need to click "clear password" in the Steam ToS app and fill in the new password in the prompter.
Steam ToS Moderator and Bug Report buttinsky.
Image
User avatar
Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 3116
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:24 am
Location: Netherlands

Previous

Return to Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests