Dev Update 12/04/2018

Announcements made here about the game and the company.

Dev Update 12/04/2018

Postby Achilles » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:35 pm

What I've worked on since the previous update:

General bug fixes and optimizations:
Added a flag for our server to enter "patching mode" where it will notify users trying to connect that we are undergoing a patch and provide a link to the newest patch notes. Previously users would get a "error connecting to server" message and be confused as to why the servers were down.

Added suspension/ban reason feedback on login. Players who are suspended/banned via trials, a moderator or automatic systems such as referral abuse they will now be notified of the reason upon login.

Fixed a bug where promotion popups were being shown to referral users who had not upgraded to premium yet. This is not only confusing as a promotion purchase doesn't make you a premium user and you will still get locked out of playing after 5 games even with a promotion purchase, but also created a bug where some users were able to get RAF rewards for $1 premium purchases. This encouraged multi-account abuse where you refer your alt accounts and buy $1 promos to get 1300TPS and RAF rewards on your main account. We won't be punishing any users who abused this as it was an oversight on our part and we emergency patched it within 48 hours of the referral system going live.

Added server code to prevent brute force login attempts on ToS accounts. We have noticed from our logs that someone (likely the botting community) has been trying to hack their way into ToS accounts by guessing passwords. We recommend that anyone with a weak password does a password change to improve the security on their account. We plan on enforcing stronger passwords in the future but it may be a few months before we get around to adding that as we have a lot on our plates already.

Fixed Guardian Angel achievements and "target was attacked" feedback. There were some bugs with the GA not getting proper feedback or achievements granted when protecting their target while dead. This should all be working properly now.

Changed the "I am blackmailed." message while on trial to only be allowed to be said one time per trial. This is because users were using this message and the chat filter as a way to meta-game, preventing us from adding improved spam filtering to chat.

Spam Improvements:
I processed several hundred trial reports this last week and a common thing I noticed in spam reports was how often users get banned for spamming the same phrase multiple times. A lot of these users weren't necessarily toxic spammers but were overzealous in their attempts to get the towns attention and reveal important information. Instead of having to constantly suspend users who overly spam I hope these anti-spam measures helps improve this behavior.

* You can no longer say the same thing twice in a row in a 10 second time period
* You can no longer type in all caps twice in a row in a 10 second time period

Note that an all caps message are still allowed once, but multiple caps lock spam will be prevented in the 10 second window.

* Added a few common bad words found in reports to the chat filter

Jailor vs Werewolf interaction bug fix:
When a Jailor jailed a Werewolf but didn't execute him, the Werewolf would perform a passive attack against the Jailor and anyone who visited the Jailor. This was a bug and has now been changed to a direct attack against the Jailor which will allow for mechanics such as the BodyGuard to be involved.

Added a new moderator command to reload a server config without needing to reboot the server. This allows us to live update server features such as enforcing a certain mobile version upon login.

Reverting the previous Framer buff after community feedback.

QA and Finishing referral system:
There was some more work to be done finishing the referral system which everyone should now be familiar with.

Sheriff change
Sheriff will now only see "Your target is suspicious" instead of specific feedback about Mafia/Coven/Werewolf/SK. This will allow NK roles to more easily claim they were framed when checked by a Sheriff.
Achilles
Developer
Developer

Re: Dev Update 12/04/2018

Postby Parallax7 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:39 pm

Great Sheriff change. Framer can wait until Frame+Focus, which is what’s best. Thank you for working with the community to get changes made!
FM Record

3-0-5-2

Newest YouTube Video

Spoiler:

Discord: Parallax#4977
Parallax7
Christmas 2018 Winner
Christmas 2018 Winner

Location: .-. .. --. .... - / -... . .... .. -. -.. / -.-- --- ..- (EST)

Postby ParaYumi » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:03 pm

A wonderful update. Although now I have to try and remember how framer was buffed in the first place. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head are the invest results for it.
ParaYumi
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby Villagerlover » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:06 pm

Oh yessss

I am so happy to see that things are finally coming to light, even if it's only 1 step at a time. Great changes! Hope to see more great things later on. :)
Wanna say somethin'? >B3
PM
Villagerlover
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Parallax7 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:06 pm

Achilles - enlighten me, what kind of changes can be made currently (prior to unity port release)? Because there are a myriad of minor edits that could potentially be added. TG has a multitude of them.
FM Record

3-0-5-2

Newest YouTube Video

Spoiler:

Parallax7
Christmas 2018 Winner
Christmas 2018 Winner

Postby Achilles » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:06 pm

ParaYumi wrote:A wonderful update. Although now I have to try and remember how framer was buffed in the first place. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head are the invest results for it.

The Framer buff never went live, it was just an internal change that got reverted.

Yes there will be ways for people to continue to spam by making slight tweaks to their messages, but it will require more effort and thought on their part so they are more at fault when a report ends up in the trial system. I will also be keeping an eye out to potentially make better improvements in the future.
Achilles
Developer
Developer

Postby Achilles » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:11 pm

Parallax7 wrote:Achilles - enlighten me, what kind of changes can be made currently (prior to unity port release)? Because there are a myriad of minor edits that could potentially be added. TG has a multitude of them.

XML changes or basic server logic changes aren't too bad. It really just depends on what is done by the server and what is done by the client and also what existing infrastructure already exists. Feel free to post what you think are some of the most important balance changes and I'll try to determine the amount of client work required.
Achilles
Developer
Developer

Postby Parallax7 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:24 pm

Achilles wrote:
Parallax7 wrote:Achilles - enlighten me, what kind of changes can be made currently (prior to unity port release)? Because there are a myriad of minor edits that could potentially be added. TG has a multitude of them.

XML changes or basic server logic changes aren't too bad. It really just depends on what is done by the server and what is done by the client and also what existing infrastructure already exists. Feel free to post what you think are some of the most important balance changes and I'll try to determine the amount of client work required.

Examples:

•Bodyguard being unhealable when fighting someone off.
•Adding a role/overhaul. For example, Butcher.
•Giving Vigilante Jailor’s guilt / reduction of bullets.
FM Record

3-0-5-2

Newest YouTube Video

Spoiler:

Parallax7
Christmas 2018 Winner
Christmas 2018 Winner

Postby Achilles » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:32 pm

Parallax7 wrote:Examples:

Should be mostly server changes and some XML text updates. Maybe a slight amount of client logic for the Vigilante but nothing too complicated. There is an achievement tied to that interaction however with the Witch, so that is added work and complication, especially changing Facebook achievements and Steam achievements to match.

Parallax7 wrote:•Adding a role/overhaul. For example, Butcher.

A large amount of client and server work is involved in an entire role overhaul or adding a new role.
Achilles
Developer
Developer

Postby Achilles » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:35 pm

walkerh13 wrote:Hey Achilles, Parallax and I have a question: Why does lore even matter? I understand that that's the reason the Butcher won't be added in replace of the Werewolf. Like I don't see any fandom articles being written about the lore of this game, and balance is obviously much more important.

The Janitor "cleaning" a dead body of its role and will is very in theme with the lore of a Janitor. Same example with the Medusa doing the same concept but being called "Stoned" instead of cleaned so it matches the lore of a Medusa. Perhaps a Werewolf could tear someone apart so vigorously that their role could not be identified and their will was shredded, but again if it is rephrased in such a way it would match the lore of a Werewolf.
Achilles
Developer
Developer

Postby Parallax7 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:36 pm

Achilles wrote:

Should be mostly server changes and some XML text updates. Maybe a slight amount of client logic for the Vigilante but nothing too complicated. There is an achievement tied to that interaction however with the Witch, so that is added work and complication, especially changing Facebook achievements and Steam achievements to match.

A large amount of client and server work is involved in an entire role overhaul or adding a new role.

Alright so I take it Bodyguard and Vigilante could be adderessed prior to the unity port, and a Werewolf Overhaul, or addition of Butcher would be post unity?
FM Record

3-0-5-2

Newest YouTube Video

Spoiler:

Parallax7
Christmas 2018 Winner
Christmas 2018 Winner

Postby Meandrina » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:36 pm

Is the spam prevention now or not til the next patch? ..along with the other things you mentioned
~Judge Emeritus~
Do you know all the game rules?? Check out the guide: http://bit.do/Juror-Guide

Have you played 150 games? Consider being a juror for the trial system: http://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start If you would like to join the Trial discord server, https://discord.gg/K5SnyJS
Meandrina
Mafioso
Mafioso

Postby Achilles » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:38 pm

Parallax7 wrote:
Achilles wrote:

Alright so I take it Bodyguard and Vigilante could be adderessed prior to the unity port, and a Werewolf Overhaul, or addition of Butcher would be post unity?

Yes but I would be worried about the potential for the increase of gamethrowing Vigilante's if their punishment is less severe, which is already a meme and a potential problem. And again there is a lot of extra unintended work in the achievements with the Witch and Vigilante. Removing an achievement or making it a legacy/hidden achievement is a lot of client work since I don't think we have real support for that yet.
Achilles
Developer
Developer

Postby Achilles » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:39 pm

Meandrina wrote:Is the spam prevention now or not til the next patch? ..along with the other things you mentioned

Slated to go out in the next patch. Most likely tomorrow.
Achilles
Developer
Developer

Postby Meandrina » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:42 pm

RIP my test....
~Judge Emeritus~
Do you know all the game rules?? Check out the guide: http://bit.do/Juror-Guide

Have you played 150 games? Consider being a juror for the trial system: http://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start If you would like to join the Trial discord server, https://discord.gg/K5SnyJS
Meandrina
Mafioso
Mafioso

Postby Parallax7 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:45 pm

Achilles wrote:Yes but I would be worried about the potential for the increase of gamethrowing Vigilante's if their punishment is less severe

I mean, Jailor has far superior carry potential, and it doesn’t kill itself. Balancing around rule breakers isn’t ideal, it’d be like implementing a role to deter spam, a role that killed a spammer and won. Something stupid.

If people are going to gamethrow, they’re going to gamethrow regardless of the penalty. The recent P2P change should in and of itself reduce gamethrowing.

All in all I wouldn’t worry about gamethrowing. Although, the achievement issue could be a bit problematic.

What if it was only achievable outside of ranked, I.E, Vigilante has Jailor’s guilt in ranked/ranked practice and suicide guilt outside of it?
Last edited by Parallax7 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FM Record

3-0-5-2

Newest YouTube Video

Spoiler:

Parallax7
Christmas 2018 Winner
Christmas 2018 Winner

Postby Achilles » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:48 pm

Parallax7 wrote:
Achilles wrote:Yes but I would be worried about the potential for the increase of gamethrowing Vigilante's if their punishment is less severe

I mean, Jailor has far superior carry potential, and it doesn’t kill itself. Balancing around rule breakers isn’t ideal, it’d be like implementing a rule to deter spam, a role that killed a spammer and won. Something stupid.

If people are going to gamethrow, they’re going to gamethrow regardless of the penalty. The recent P2P change should in and of itself reduce gamethrowing.

All in all I wouldn’t worry about gamethrowing. Although, the achievement issue could be a bit problematic.

What if it was only achievable outside of ranked, I.E, Vigilante has Jailor’s guilt in ranked/ranked practice and suicide guilt outside of it?

Potentially but there's definitely a concern of confusing users when role rules change between ranked and other game modes.
Achilles
Developer
Developer

Postby TurdPile » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:12 pm

walkerh13 wrote:
Achilles wrote:
walkerh13 wrote:Hey Achilles, Parallax and I have a question: Why does lore even matter? I understand that that's the reason the Butcher won't be added in replace of the Werewolf. Like I don't see any fandom articles being written about the lore of this game, and balance is obviously much more important.

The Janitor "cleaning" a dead body of its role and will is very in theme with the lore of a Janitor. Same example with the Medusa doing the same concept but being called "Stoned" instead of cleaned so it matches the lore of a Medusa. Perhaps a Werewolf could tear someone apart so vigorously that their role could not be identified and their will was shredded, but again if it is rephrased in such a way it would match the lore of a Werewolf.

Ok, but what we're asking is if the Butcher can simply be in ranked instead of the Werewolf, not replace it entirely. That way the people who payed for the Werewolf to get into the game via kickstarter still get their money's worth, but ranked is much more balanced.

Developing a role solely for a relatively minor subset of the community (Ranked) is not a good investment of development time in my opinion, especially with the rest of the stuff already on their plate.
I have mostly rescinded my role as Admin.

All previous contact should instead be redirected to Flavorable.

If your inquiry doesn't directly have to do with Trial 2.0 or TrialBot, then please refrain from messaging.

Thank you.
TurdPile
Vampire
Vampire

Postby Parallax7 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:39 pm

TurdPile wrote:
walkerh13 wrote:
Achilles wrote:

Ok, but what we're asking is if the Butcher can simply be in ranked instead of the Werewolf, not replace it entirely. That way the people who payed for the Werewolf to get into the game via kickstarter still get their money's worth, but ranked is much more balanced.

Developing a role solely for a relatively minor subset of the community (Ranked) is not a good investment of development time in my opinion, especially with the rest of the stuff already on their plate.

I think the end goal here is that, Werewolf is role that has a bad gimmick, and any change other than complete overhaul is pointless. And so to satisfy people who like playing with current Werewolf, and don’t want it removed, just disallow it from spawning in ranked, and replace it with Butcher. Butcher could still be in the game, but what’s important is Werewolf’s removal from ranked.
FM Record

3-0-5-2

Newest YouTube Video

Spoiler:

Parallax7
Christmas 2018 Winner
Christmas 2018 Winner

Postby BasicFourLife » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:32 pm

pog
RNG is never good for any strategy based game. Please learn the definition of what that means, especially if you're one of the people constantly defending it.

FM / TG: 5 - 10 - 8
BasicFourLife
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Postby BS4125 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:31 am

Awesome

Spoiler:
lemonader666 wrote:
Seththeking wrote:
BS4125 wrote:Please post relevant posts to the topic at hand and not digress. Also please explain your opinions otherwise your contribution is sub-zero.

Oooooooo Mister Power over here!

And would you look at that, I was on the forums longer then you.

But overall the role for this topic needs work, I mean it's so bad people would rather
get off topic lol.

solola is a mod you retard
BS4125
Christmas 2018 Winner
Christmas 2018 Winner

Postby AcidicBreeze » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:30 am

Is there any eta on when the next ranked starts? Season 4's already been going quite a bit longer than the others.
AcidicBreeze Gen 2 Edition
Spoiler: Danganronpa XXVI: Marcella Usoro - Ultimate Medic
AcidicBreeze
[Forum Mafia XX] Winner
[Forum Mafia XX] Winner

Postby DragonClaw66 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:30 am

Now that we’ll start having more communication before changes, future developer updates should go much more smoothly.
DragonClaw66
Summer 2019 Winner
Summer 2019 Winner

Postby punjian » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:19 pm

Do you guys even play this game? Just asking....
Tucker the
punjian
Survivor
Survivor

Postby Jerme » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:42 pm

punjian wrote:Do you guys even play this game? Just asking....

We do play this game.
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Announcements